Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-09-2016

Based on some discussions that I'm having with Peter Haggins, we may replace all of the relays with individual circuit breakers in a small sub-panel for circuits 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13. I don't think the older inverters had an internal automatic transfer relay like the new ones. The new sub-panel would draw all of it's source power from the new inverter. The inverter would draw its energy from either the batteries (when the inverter function is "on") or from the main breaker panel when connected to shore power or generator power.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912

Last edited by sfedeli; 05-09-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2016
Gardner

When I Installed a charger/inverter in my FC (which did not have an inverter originally) I installed a sub-panel. I re-routed the desired circuits (selected outlets in my case) to the sub-panel. The inverter supplied the sub-panel

As a result the single 30 amp breaker on the charger/inverter input supplied the charger and all the outlets. Since I did not connect any high current devices (like a microwave or portable heater) to the outlets the 30 amp breaker was able to support the charger under all three stages of charge rate and the other small loads on the outlets.

If you decide to do it this way, take the time to calculate the requirements of the equipment you intend to connect plus the max load of the charger to insure you do not exceed the 30 amp breaker limit. Also, a 30 amp breaker is not intended to run at 30 amps, it is a safety device and 30 amps is an overload. The national electrical code says 80% is the max continuous load a breaker should carry, so that is 24 amps. The BB relay system allows for greater loads when on shore power.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
When I Installed a charger/inverter in my FC (which did not have an inverter originally) I installed a sub-panel. I re-routed the desired circuits (selected outlets in my case) to the sub-panel. The inverter supplied the sub-panel

As a result the single 30 amp breaker on the charger/inverter input supplied the charger and all the outlets. Since I did not connect any high current devices (like a microwave or portable heater) to the outlets the 30 amp breaker was able to support the charger under all three stages of charge rate and the other small loads on the outlets.

If you decide to do it this way, take the time to calculate the requirements of the equipment you intend to connect plus the max load of the charger to insure you do not exceed the 30 amp breaker limit. Also, a 30 amp breaker is not intended to run at 30 amps, it is a safety device and 30 amps is an overload. The national electrical code says 80% is the max continuous load a breaker should carry, so that is 24 amps. The BB relay system allows for greater loads when on shore power.
The only equipment in question would be the microwave is that correct Gardner? You have to be careful when the battery charger is going full bore (when first charging batteries that are discharged) and turning on the microwave. Don't know exactly what is happening but that's one thing I've learned not to do. Seems like the charger inverter doesn't like even though the microwave circuit is passing thru the inverter charger at that point not inverting.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 05-09-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The ice maker is around 2.5 amps, the microwave on high is 11-12 amps and the charger when it is putting out 100 amps DC draws around 12 amps. I think that we'll remove the bathroom heater circuit from the sub-panel altogether and just let it work when the genny or shore power are energized. Assuming that Ed is roasting a turkey in the microwave on high, while the ice maker is on and he has weak batteries, causing the charger to max out at 100 amps, that puts the circuit at around 88% of maximum load. Most of the time, he'll be way under the 80% threshold. I've been running the Prosine 2.0, my ice maker, microwave, heated floor and other outlet appliances through a 30A breaker since 2006.....The Xantrex can be programmed for a maximum of 30 amps draw, so it will moderate the charger output when you have a heavy load like the microwave going through it, preventing you from tripping the breaker.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912