Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The springs are used to release the contacts, the coil is used to engage the contacts. A higher rated relay will likely use more current to energize the coil and hold the contacts, so it may run hotter. Intermittent use relays will get hotter as they are not built to run all the time. Check the coil current requirements as well as the contact rating when replacing relays.
You are correct in your description of the solenoid operation and the fact a higher rating probably requires a higher coil amperage Gardner. But I haven't found a supplier yet who publishes the holding coil amperage, only the voltage. Therefore, I take it that it must not be critical. Remembering that the question addressed was whether a higher rated solenoid would last longer than a specified rated solenoid, I'd still think a higher amp rated coil used on a lower amp circuit should last longer overall, acknowledging continuous or non continuous duty of course. Reading several threads on WOG which relate to this subject, at least a few of us think that it does. But again, I'm just a user, not an expert.