Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-05-2011

Default Hydraulic Fan Motor

CAUTION BMC owners: Hydraulic fan motor, this is an update on the fiasco that has taken place on with Spartan on the hydraulic motor; I had to wait till I finally received my credit before I posted. As many of you recall I replaced the HM (hydraulic motor) in October, when I contacted Spartan they sold me, what they said was the replacement HM. This new motor did not have the small outlet for the return hose to the reservoir, so I called Spartan and they said that it was the right Parker part and that they had sold several without issue, so I installed it and abandoned the line thinking that Parker must have figured out a way to get it done without the small line, this proved to be a big mess. The shaft seal of the new motor failed within a thousand miles and spewed two gallons of ATF all over the engine compartment. So I pulled the motor, I can now do that in half an hour, and found the shaft seal pushed out, so I called Spartan and ordered a new one with the understanding that the old one would be returned and credit to my card. This process took six weeks and they tried to tie me to a vender analysis of what failed, wrong, they have now credited the account. Here is the problem with the HM as I see it. The original motor has a passage drilled from behind the rear bushings to the top of the rear case and drilled and taped for the small hydraulic hose back to the can, the new one has these small passage holes drill to the outgoing large hose, and this does not work in our application. On the OME There is a 1/8th or so hole drilled through one of the shaft from the front shaft seal area to the rear case and then up and out the hose to the can. What I did was remove my original rear case with the proper relief setup and put it on the new HM, all is good and drove it 2500 miles over Thanksgiving, same cast number on the rear case as the new except, the passage way and the blank drilled and taped, go figure, It is my opinion that those of us with this configuration will have to perform the modification.
Marty Gregg
95 BMC 37
Kennewick WA
Old 12-06-2011

Default Hydraulic Fan Motor

Marty,

I have no idea if my hydraulic fan is even working or not (does this come on when the motor gets too hot?) but I have no overheating problems so I assume it is working. (If this statement is really dumb, forgive me I learn new stuff all the time)

In any case I cannot visualize what you are talking about and how to do it (although I'm sure others will understand it) and I'm sure I would probably have to have it done by someone with your notes to explain it. How often do these motors fail? is this a common problem or not? How do I know if and when I have this problem?

Thanks for explaining to a dummy.

Best,

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-06-2011

Lee,
Without a better way for me to show you the post, here is what to do.
Go to main page, Scroll down to BMC Unique issues, Scroll down to Thoughts on BMC 40' w/Cummins M11. The post dated 12/18/09 Max Hendrix is worth reading. Sorry I know there must be better way of doing this. Hope it helps.
Old 12-07-2011

Default BMC Hydraulic Fan

Tim,

I read that post and have a better idea of what is going on. However, I'm pretty sure on my 1995 BMC 37 my fan is NOT sucking water off the concrete. In fact I can't tell when it's even running. Good to know however that these fans usually last a long time and generally work well.

I plan on going to Colorado this summer and don't want any problems. We'll be at the Clearwater mini-rally in a few weeks so hopefully I can get one of the "experts" there (experts is meant with great respect) to point out some of this stuff to me.

Thanks

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-07-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmabbott12 View Post
Lee,
Without a better way for me to show you the post, here is what to do.
Go to main page, Scroll down to BMC Unique issues, Scroll down to Thoughts on BMC 40' w/Cummins M11. The post dated 12/18/09 Max Hendrix is worth reading. Sorry I know there must be better way of doing this. Hope it helps.
Tim,

When you are reading that post look at the top right corner of it for the post number, in this case it would be #9 click on the number then when it re-opens the individual post, highlight and copy the URL at the top of the page and then paste it in your message like this http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40300&postcount=9

The reader can click on the highlighted link that way. In this case I have also highlighted the number of the post copied it and posted it here, it then can also be clicked on to go to the message.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-07-2011

Thanks John I understand. This will help in future. I need all the help I can get.
Lee,
I had some issues with metal plate under all the coolers located behind the back tires. It and some other fillers around the radiator and coolers that were letting the air go around and not through. A few little issues with the route the air is taking needs to be inspected. I still have few issues with my cooling on long grades. Realizing that keeping the RPM's high will help cooling, I still heat up a bit. I have been told that they make a device that reads the RPM's of the fan blade by putting tape on one blade then point the gun and read the R's. I have yet to do that but am reminding myself to put on list.
Old 12-07-2011

Lee the fan is always on, the hydraulic pump supply’s pressure for the power steering and the fan, there is a proportioning valve in the system, the fan increases in speed with RPM. My coach has 110,000 miles and the original fan worked it just had a slight shaft seal leak that was depositing ATF on the fan, and I didn’t want ATF on the radiator.
Marty Gregg
95 BMC 37
Kennewick WA
Old 12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmabbott12 View Post
I have been told that they make a device that reads the RPM's of the fan blade by putting tape on one blade then point the gun and read the R's. I have yet to do that but am reminding myself to put on list.
Tim,

That's a laser tachometer. You should be able to find them lots of places. If you're in the boonies, I'm sure an online search will turn up many choices.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-07-2011

There are actually 2 different fans motors that were used on BMC
parker
casappa

The parker had a 3rd or vent in later iterations had 2 lines only
The casappa had only 2 lines

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 12-08-2011

Great info Marty and Stephen I will need to check mine to see what configuration I have. Thanks to all.

Also Lee, FWIW, If I drive with my drivers side small window open I can hear my engine cooling fan roar when accelerating hard from a stop light. If the window is closed I do not hear it. (Of course I worked around jet engines for 37 years so the hearing ain't so good.)
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad