Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-23-2013

Default Progressive EMS install

I bought a Progressive model EMS-HW50C and am looking for a good place to install it. I have a 50amp breaker in my street side forward basement. I want to install it after the breaker. Looking at the pic, it looks like the bottom wiring harness is from the shore tie, the middle harness is from the generator set and the top harness is going to the coach. The top one comes off of the breaker. If I remove the harness off of the breaker and attach it to the output of the EMS and put a jumper harness from the breaker to the input side of the EMS that would get the job done, right? Also that would protect me from both the shore tie and the generator, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	23827  
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 07-23-2013
Forum Moderator

Many have found that the Progressive EMS 50 does not like generator power and will in fact often prevent power from being sent into the coach. I hardwired my first EMS to only look after shore power and all was well. I now have a portable one so it is always locked up on a campground pedestal.
Old 07-23-2013

I thought I would be safe tying into both shore tie and generator because of the age of my coach. I have a manual switch located by the copilot chair.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 07-23-2013

I've got two portables on board my 'bird. Very reliable and on two instances "sacrificed" their lives for my 'bird. Progressive replaced them both for free, I would not leave home withou one (that's why I carry 2).
Old 07-23-2013

I also prefer the portable one.
Rob - I hope you have something more substantial than that little aluminum tab they supply for locking purposes. A pair of tin snips makes short work of that . "Gone in Sixty Seconds".
I welded up a little angle iron cage that can be chain locked to the pedestal. Tin snips won't touch it - but bolt cutters will
It won't stop a determined thief - but it will slow him down a bit .
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 07-23-2013

Talked myself out of the portable one because of the extra money and the chance of theft.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 07-23-2013

You boys need to be staying in better campgrounds on the opposite side of the tracks. I've never bothered locking mine. (now that I have gigged you, I will probably get mine stolen)
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 07-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis&Ella View Post
Talked myself out of the portable one because of the extra money and the chance of theft.
I was thinking the same way originally but after careful reconsideration I decided to with the portable for several reasons:
(1) It's portable - not locked to a single RV - obvious heh?
(2) My main concern was if it goes down in a hard wired situation you may well be stuck until can get it repaired, replaced, or bypassed. (assuming you're electrically knowledgable and have the necessary tools and supplies with you).
(3) If the portable unit goes down just unplug it and you're back in business. (This naturally assumes the incoming power is good.)
(4) Building a better anti-theft devise eliminated my fear of it disappearing as part of MAP (Midnight Acquisition Process)
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 07-23-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
I also prefer the portable one.
Rob - I hope you have something more substantial than that little aluminum tab they supply for locking purposes. A pair of tin snips makes short work of that . "Gone in Sixty Seconds".
I welded up a little angle iron cage that can be chain locked to the pedestal. Tin snips won't touch it - but bolt cutters will
It won't stop a determined thief - but it will slow him down a bit .
I hear ya KC and now that I have a welder and I need practice so I can learn how to weld that might be a great project. I seem to remember someone having a red cage for their EMS. That was you I'll bet.
Old 07-23-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis&Ella View Post
I bought a Progressive model EMS-HW50C and am looking for a good place to install it. I have a 50amp breaker in my street side forward basement. I want to install it after the breaker. Looking at the pic, it looks like the bottom wiring harness is from the shore tie, the middle harness is from the generator set and the top harness is going to the coach. The top one comes off of the breaker. If I remove the harness off of the breaker and attach it to the output of the EMS and put a jumper harness from the breaker to the input side of the EMS that would get the job done, right? Also that would protect me from both the shore tie and the generator, right?
They would NEVER tie two inputs to the same breaker. The transfer switch accomplishes the task of selecting inputs individually. You need to locate a wiring diagram to determine what is being done in that picture. Most likely they are tapping power for another circuit.

For mine I installed the EMS on the input side of the main panel, which is the output of the transfer switch. As mentioned, it does not like the generator signal and produces an error code when the gennie is the source. It appears to work, but doesn't provide any output to the display panel when on gennie. If I was doing it again I would put it in the shore line between the shore line connection and the transfer switch.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey