Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-24-2008
ANOTHER REDNECK

ok that is perfect !!!!!!!!!!!
the sp has the same

dick.....you gotta know me to understand- this aint my first rodeo~

this is a little project after all the stuff i have built and rebuilt-drove and made do with.

i have had a f800 8.3 cummins 654 allison with 2 spd rear end that i built loaded with browie 3 spd xtra transmission that would run 96 mph empty with trailer with weight of 26400
and get 8-9 mpg loaded at 65-70 with a weight of almost 56,000 lb from okla to salt lake.and back!..it would get 12 without a trailer....I built a 38' roll-back trailer out of military junk to use with it.

Sold them last yr as i drove the combo 8000 miles in 4 yr... it needed a driver~

I think.........that a 8.3 cummins is a great engine for me~ and i have have had bigger and smaller...

Built oil field equipt in the early 80s.wind generators in the late 80s/90s.ran a shop/wrecker service junk yard forever until if figured out how work smarter~

I think someone made a mistake that a coach rated at 1 foot longer with much newer body and equipment would weigh less than my sp......but...I have never weighed it and will do that in west memphis this week before i run to Wis to pickup the new mtr trans cutout combo!

will get er dun!! thanks!!!!!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Last edited by rwoody; 11-24-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2008

Default BMC Fuel Mileage

At an Allison seminar at an FMCA rally I learned that putting the Transmission (6 Speed Alison) in the MODE ON setup was the fuel economy program. After doing that, I started getting better mileage. Now we get about 9-9 1/2 miles per gallon as an average when we are on typical undulating hill terrain. We don't do that well in the mountains or running into a big head wind, when everything is tougher of course.

I also found that with MODE ON, the bus can take some pretty reasonable upgrades in cruise control that it would downshift on previously. Of course, facing a bigger hill, you still have to take off the cruise.

By the way, I am still looking for more owners of 94-95 BMC, to talk with about the rear axle upgrade situation.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 11-24-2008

Default BMC 31,000 lb. GVWR

There is not a 94-95 BMC out there that only weighs 31,000 lbs (the GVWR). They weighed more than that as built, and the rear axle was underrated for the weight carried. That's why BB did the "silent recall" on some of them (I assume the people who complained at the time about the safety problem) and upgraded the rear axle. Mostly they weigh in the 33-34,000 lb area with anything at all in them.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 11-26-2008

Worst ever mpg 6.5, serious headwind, towing, running gen and roof airs, running 65 MPH or so. Best ever 10.5, towing, no gen, tail wind, 55MPH cruise . Average 8 MPG, towing, with 1/4 gen/roof airs. Odometer dead accurate as per GPS, so good MPG numbers.

Mechanical not electronic 8.3.

Rear axle was 19,000 lb rated. Mine upgraded by BB to Eaton 220605, 22000 lb rated, 5.29 ratio. Tires 295/75R/22.5 H rated. Factory GVWR 31,000, theoritically 34,000 with upgraded complete rear axle.

Dan
94 BB BMC 37'
Old 03-29-2009

I wanted to revive this older thread to ask about the "Mode On" setting for our Allison transmissions.

I have a Operator's Guide for the Allison that talks about modes but does not describe what they are or how to use them.

So, Lee mentioned above about getting better mileage with the "Mode On" used. How does one get the "Mode On"? Just hit the button or are there limitations? Can you switch modes while driving, etc? I assume by your description it gets better mileage and so it must shift at a lower RPM and stay in a high gear longer. If so, I would want to shift out on the fly if I hit the mountains while driving correct?

Thanks,
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-30-2009

Default Mode Switch

Brad,

On my 94 BMC 37', when I start the coach engine, the transmission starts up in Mode Off. At any time, on the fly, or sitting still I can push mode, and a LCD says Mode On (which is the economy mode). Next time I turn the ignition off and back on it defaults back to mode off.

On the fly you can switch back and forth. Mode On economy mode causes a earlier (lower) rpm transmission upshift, a later transmission downshift (unless pac brake causes the downshift if it is on) less rpm, and thus a bit better MPG. You can still manually over-ride with the key pad to manually downshift (just remember to upshift at top of hill or on-ramp).

Mode on doe's not cause the "economy" tab on the keypad to light up. Mode on or off you should see little difference in the flatlands. Most effect should be on rolling hills, and from dead starts. On long grades with economy mode on, keep a eye on engine and trans temp. If they "heat up", then switch mode off, or manually downshift.

For best mpg in rolling hills turn pac brake off, economy mode on, and set cruise under the speed limit so you can gain momentum/speed down the hills (basically coasting) without getting a ticket from the speed ypu pick up.

Today I was turning pac on and off and mode on and off depending on road situations:

Heavy traffic, stop lights, city driving, or big down hills pac brake on, other wise off.

Mode on unless needing quicker acceleration for on ramps on crowded roads to merge safely or a hill where I want to accelerate quicker.
Old 03-30-2009
Former Bird Owner

Mode On seems to work at anytime. Just press the button, (on my unit) "mode on" appears in small type in the display and that's that.

The mode on simply assigns a different shifting program to the transmission. It can be (re)programed (for either the default or for the mode on) by an Allison dealer (or, I suppose, anyone with the necessary laptop and software).

As my unit is set up, the mode on seems to shift just a bit less often than with mode off. I rarely run with mode on, but I'll use it on slightly rolling terrain where the transmission is constantly shifting up and down as I go up and down hills. Indeed, there is a stretch of U.S. 101 somewhere south of San Jose where there are a bunch of under passes and overpasses (making artificial hills) where mode on really helps quiet the up-down shifting.

I've never made any effort to evaluate the fuel economy of mode on -- but I would guess that there might be some small improvement if you frequently encounter terrain where the transmission frequently downshifts.

Where the (re)programability is very useful is if you pass over certain routes frequently, and you can calculate the RPMs you like to have on those routes, you might be able to come up with an alternate shifting program that would be ideal to your situation. But I'll leave that sort of thing to folks who are a lot brighter than I am.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-31-2009

Thanks for the info it was just what I needed!!

I will try it on my next trip.

Thanks everybody.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-01-2009

Default Mode On

For what it's worth, Mode On seems to get me about an extra 1 mpg which is about 10% so I use it all the time except in big hills or mountains (mostly on the Interstates or decent 2 lane roads) . It is really great when using cruise control, as I do not like a lot of transmission "hunting up and down" either. If I'm in cruise and I see a hill ahead that looks like mode on won't pull without downshifting (I've gotten pretty good at that) I just punch off the cruise control and go up up the hill slower while the revs drop. It still downshifts occasionally then, but not often. Of course if it downshifts a lot as the revs drop and the hills get bigger, I will take the mode off for that kind of terrain.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 06-22-2015

Default leaking lift pump ?

Our coach has gotten 7.5 mpg consistently while towing about 6000 lbs since we bought it .

This last trip after installing a new lift pump , it came in at 10.14 mpg with the same weight . Not sure i believe it yet , but will be watching it .

Power on hills is still low , before the next trip i will be replacing the overflow / check valve on the injector pump . I hope the mileage stays up .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW