Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2015
Gardner

Default My Progressive overregisters

My progressive cut the power from my generator today registering it as 131 and 133 volts respectively on the two hot leads. I believe the 133 is the progressive trip point. I checked with my Fluke meter and it says 126.7 I trust the fluke.

I have noticed a difference in the past when using the meter vs the progressive display, but it didn't cause any problems so I forgot about it. But now that the generator is running an 126/127 the Progressive is killing the power. I can bypass the progressive protection with the switch on the remote for now, but I will contact Progressive and see if it can be adjusted or replaced. They are good about customer care, so let's hope for the best.

There is no adjustment that I know of on the regulator on the Kohler, but there is a clear material visible on one edge and I can see a little potentiometer inside the material. It doesn't look like it was intended for user access.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-27-2015

Gardner:

Didn't you recently post a scope waveform from your generator showing a non-sinusoidal trace? While the Fluke may be true RMS, the Progressive voltage could be affected by the spikes. Is the generator still showing this problem?

(Could the voltage spikes come from slip-ring/brush problems? I had a Kohler break the brushes due to the slip-rings becoming elliptical from wear.)

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
Old 07-28-2015
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
My progressive cut the power from my generator today registering it as 131 and 133 volts respectively on the two hot leads. I believe the 133 is the progressive trip point. I checked with my Fluke meter and it says 126.7 I trust the fluke.

I have noticed a difference in the past when using the meter vs the progressive display, but it didn't cause any problems so I forgot about it. But now that the generator is running an 126/127 the Progressive is killing the power. I can bypass the progressive protection with the switch on the remote for now, but I will contact Progressive and see if it can be adjusted or replaced. They are good about customer care, so let's hope for the best.

There is no adjustment that I know of on the regulator on the Kohler, but there is a clear material visible on one edge and I can see a little potentiometer inside the material. It doesn't look like it was intended for user access.
Hi Gardner,

I snipped these lines from the “Voltage Regulator Bench Test and Adjustment” procedure that was in my 12.5 kW Kohler Troubleshooting guide… Perhaps they apply to the pot you found.. perhaps not? Proceed at your own risk.

If regulator adjusting Pot (See Figure 3) has not been factory sealed, set Pot to its mid position.

If regulator Pot has been factory sealed, carefully remove sealer and turn Pot slider so slider works freely. Set Pot. to mid position.

Disconnect generator from load. Connect voltmeter across L0 and L1. Start engine. Adjust regulator Pot. so meter shows proper output voltage. Stop engine. Remove voltmeter and seal Pot with RTV or suitable substitute.

I sent a condensed version of the 12.5 kW Kohler Troubleshooting guide to John Finn a few years ago… he posted it here if you want to see the whole bench test and adjustment procedure:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1096&stc=1&d=123181487 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkane View Post
Gardner:

Didn't you recently post a scope waveform from your generator showing a non-sinusoidal trace? While the Fluke may be true RMS, the Progressive voltage could be affected by the spikes. Is the generator still showing this problem?

(Could the voltage spikes come from slip-ring/brush problems? I had a Kohler break the brushes due to the slip-rings becoming elliptical from wear.)

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
The same thought crossed my mind ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage reg.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	37032  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-28-2015
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkane View Post
Gardner:

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
I noticed the same thing on shore power( voltage, not the anomaly) , but it was a while ago. I need to hook up and do some checking.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey