Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2009

Ok, Dan I will go today and check out your questions about the cruise light engine on/off etc and let you know.

My Speedo does have the LCD mileage/trip readout so they may be different.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-26-2009

OK, I gotta say you got me curious on this one.

I just went out and tried my Green Master Cruise switch.

No light ever with:

engine off - key on,

engine running - park brake on,

engine running - park brake off, trans in nuetral,

engine running - trans in gear, park brake off (Foot brake on)

I think you are right it needs a movement (Speedo) signal perhaps as a part of a "self test".

Let me know if I can check something else.
Old 03-26-2009

Thanks Brad.

I'm at a standstill for now until I move on from here Monday and see what happens when moving.

I'm hoping someone with the BMC analog odometer on the speedo will open the dash and verify the wires hooked to the 3 wire harness out of the speedo to give me my next step in verifying all connections that I can.

For future reference, below the Master Cruise circuit in the outside compartment below drivers window (volts with key on only), at very bottom of compartment hidden behind wiring harnesses is another power bar. On it is a "cruise on" post, with white wires that feed into a very large connector series that feeds from rear of coach to the panels at front of coach. I have zero power to this post while sitting here in the campground regardless of buttons, brakes etc. I believe this is the connector that "should" feed the green Cruise on light and power up the cruise control, and feeds back to the actuator.

At right rear of the cummins block, 1/2 way up is the Eco Cruise actuator box, (electrical not air) that pulls the cable that keeps the throttle set for crusie. Actuator has a 4 wire harness. No volts to any wire while stationary. Acutator part no 4026/100/202, sn 21722408N, Furon Company. Internet searches, Furon bought out Eco Cruise, eco cruise is obsolete an no longer supported nor available from Furon nor Eco Cruise.

I may still be missing one control box in or under the dash - search continues.

I have diagrams and instuctions for Dana cruise (electronic/vacuum), and Bendix Cruise (air). Dana will not operate until speed above 27-33 MPH. I believe eco cruise is similar.

I'm still searching for the Eco cruise diagrams and instructions.
Old 03-27-2009

OK I'll bite: What is the "Cummins Block" and is it in the engine compartment?

Sure seems there should be a Cruise ECU somewhere but with this dash layout and walled in/closed off lower dash panel it is tough to see or find anything.

I had to open my dash to replace just some VDO guage internal lighting and o-boy what a zoo.

I will be following your progress with interest.
Old 03-27-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
OK I'll bite: What is the "Cummins Block" and is it in the engine compartment?
I think that Dan is referring to the Cummins Engine Block itself.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-27-2009

Correct, the engine compartment, Cummins Engine Block.

Atuator is on the passenger side, 3/4 forward, 1/2 way up. You have to crawl under coach (with jacks/jackstands/ramps/pit etc under coach to backup the hydralic jacks) to see it.

4 wires input into actuator, actuate a cable pull, that pulls the throttle open. Looking in from top side of the rear of the coach under the hatch, you can see on passenger side top the "regular" throttle cable, and below that the cruise cable pull. If you have not done so, it would be a good idea to get some form of spray lube onto all throttle linkage pivot points etc.

I also spray lubed the pac brake mechanism while in there. I only had silicone spray on hand, so I used that. A white lithium grease type spray might work as well.

It is possible my actuator is dead, if I knew or can figure out which wire does what, I might try to rig a 12 volt source direct to the actuator to test it. Still does not necessarily explain no green light on cruise control when moving down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I think that Dan is referring to the Cummins Engine Block itself.
Old 03-27-2009

Thanks for the info and tips!!
Old 03-27-2009

Found the main cruise control ecu. Sitting in drivers seat, in front of left foot is a carpeted lower panel with 2 hidden screws at very bottom in carpet nap, 6 hidden srews in nap of carpet at top side. Not much room to work there with the drivers seat and steering wheel in the way.

Pull carpeted panel, and loose on the floor behind it (no doubt bouncing around on the road) is the ECU:
Eco cruise ECU 12 volt. Part No 4026/100/000 . SNO 1166240 . Out of the ecu are 2 harnesses, all feeding back towards the outside compartment under the drviers window. One grey wire in the harnesses running back to outside compartment does say speed signal on it. A seperate wire higher up under the dash is also grey, also says speed signal, has 2 connectors on it, and is not attched anywhere. This may be my problem.

Last edited by AC7880; 03-27-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2009

Default Dash Cruise Info

Dan,

If you will give me a few days I'll try to get that "under the dash" info for you. My BMC as you know is a 95 but does have the analog mileage indicators. If I can, I'll try to take some digital pictures for you as well.

I have not had that part of the dash off before, but I have had the part off with the gauges in it and as you know that stuff is not very substantial, and mine was sticking pretty bad around the edges and I had to be pretty careful not to tear up some of that. Sort of like trying to peel off strong cardboard.

They could have made that out of better stuff in my opinion. Anyway, I'll try to check it out for you.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 03-27-2009

Lee, I think I am almost there and I know what I need now. Opening only the top part of the dash where the speedo is, there is a small 3 wire harness coming out of it in combination a with a seperate red and black wire. (5 wire speedo http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-511-011-348.pdf type B diagram.

In the small grey harness are 3 wires: red, black, and white - all with connectors .

I have now located 3 loose wires with matching connectors, and just need need to know what goes where, and I think it will all work again.

I have a loose white wire with label 417 Speed signal - it has a red connector on it.

I have a loose grey wire with label 417 Speed Cruise - it has 2 connectors, a red connector, and a blue connector.

I have a loose white wire with label unreadable - it has a light green semi-transparent connector on it.

I think if I correctly match 3 loose wires to the speedo grey harness I might be in business.

I caused all this by pulling a antenna cable through the dash - speedo did not work at all after that. I matched the white wire with no lable to the white wire in the harness and the speedo then worked, but not cruise. I could not see the grey and other white wire until now when I moved stuff around.

If you can help me match wires to the speedo, it would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Dan,

If you will give me a few days I'll try to get that "under the dash" info for you. My BMC as you know is a 95 but does have the analog mileage indicators. If I can, I'll try to take some digital pictures for you as well.

I have not had that part of the dash off before, but I have had the part off with the gauges in it and as you know that stuff is not very substantial, and mine was sticking pretty bad around the edges and I had to be pretty careful not to tear up some of that. Sort of like trying to peel off strong cardboard.

They could have made that out of better stuff in my opinion. Anyway, I'll try to check it out for you.