Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2009

Brett,

I have no direct experience with Duracool or any other refridgerant other than R-12 and R-134a. In addition, I am also kinda self taught.

I have talked with professionals and they advised me to steer clear of the R-12 replacements like Duracool because they are propane based. They were concerned about a number of things including safety. In addition, they would not service a Duracool serviced system because here in the "Peoples Republic of California" Cal-EPA outlawed any venting of refridgerant years ago. It is a big time fine. They must reclaim and recycle all refridgerants and the Duracool type substitutes would contaminate their machines. As they need to maintain R-12 and R-134a machines they cannot or would not buy a third setup.

Just my $0.02
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-24-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Hey Frank, I'm about like you on the AC systems. Did you have to actually replace anything that was NOT R134a approved? Over the years I've heard both sides but never first hand experience.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 06-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
Hey Frank, I'm about like you on the AC systems. Did you have to actually replace anything that was NOT R134a approved? Over the years I've heard both sides but never first hand experience.
I replaced all the major components...new 134a compatible York compressor, new Red Dot roof condenser as the OEM unit is actually pretty small when you open up the outer casing and I do not believe sufficient for 134a, the dryer/filter unit as well as expansion valve. I did not change the evaporator as I could not find a similar sized unit (to fit in the OEM tray in the overhead compartment). I changed the rotten roof hoses, but the hoses in the wall I left alone. Some of my choices were dictated by the fact the OEM compressor was totally shot and I had metal filings from it throughout my system...had to flush & blow out everything.

The dash AC is nice to keep your cool up front. It keeps the front 5' from the windshield comfortable on warm to hot days. Above around 95...you'll have to run the genny and roof AC unit as there is just too much heat from outer skin and engine for the dash AC to make any appreciable dent. I think for many owners, especially ones in the south due to the warmer climate, the limitations of the dash air simply tilt the economic and maintenance scales toward stripping the dash AC compressor out and living with the genny/roof AC option.

As I recall the compressor, clutch, and roof condenser cost about 1200-1500 bucks four years ago? I am glad I did it. But, if it packed up tomorrow, its a 50/50 chance I would say forget it OR do it all again.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 08-07-2015

As I just brought my '94 BMC home on Wednesday evening, I haven't had much time to investigate some of the problems including the lack of dash AC. Since I am an utter novice in this, actual most areas, I wasn't excited about tackling it, but a look can't hurt, right? So..I looked under the hood, found the air compressor, and there was no belt connecting the compressor to the crankshaft. Could it be this simple? From my experiences, I know it can or suspect as much, although normally, for me, there is much more involved. I'm going to get a belt and give it a try of course! I did notice the pulleys don't seem to line up properly but there looked to b som adjustment available on the compressor.

Bob
Cell: 904 343-8545
rjbeck@gmail.com

Old 08-07-2015

Hi Bob, congratulations on your new BMC!
First thing to do is start a new thread.
The belt is off likely, because the dash AC is dead and not worth reviving. From what I've learned most folks don't fix 'em when they die. Maybe your version is different but the dash AC usually only cools the two front seats and whenyou want AC you want it everywhere so you run the generator.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 08-07-2015

Thanks Capt'...that's what I expect to find and appreciate your pointing me to a new thread. If I run into problems that I seem unable to resolve, I certainly will.

Very impressive group here!

Bob
Cell: 904 343-8545
rjbeck@gmail.com

Old 08-07-2015

We were lucky enough to have our dash air still working . It surprises me how well it works . We seldom have to run the roof air while traveling , unless it is really hot outside . But we try to do most of our driving in the morning . If it does get hot , we fire up the genie . The last trip we averaged 10mpg while running the genie part of the trip . I don't believe that mpg though , it usually gets 7.5 to 8 .
However , i did just change out the fuel transfer pump right before the last trip because it started leaking . I am looking forward to checking the mpg on our trip next week .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 08-07-2015

Yours works??

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 08-07-2015

Works great , i find myself turning it down quiet often . Cat keeps a blanket handy .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 08-09-2015

Bob -

if the belt is off, start with the compressor and see if it is locked up. If not, a new belt is a good place to continue. It _could_ be that simple, but I hate to say, likely not.

Although, if my coach didn't have the dash AC working, I wouldn't mind. Everything I have come to understand tells me the compressor draws enough power from the engine to cost more in MPG than the generator running with all three airs going. Mine does work and I do use it in our 102 degree days just to get air blowing on us though