Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-22-2019

Default Pacbrake switch location

I don’t believe that the pacbrake works in our bus. The trans downshifts like everyone describes, but the braking effect is under whelming. So after reading about everyone’s issues I went to dig into mine. The actuator assy is in the exhaust stream and moves by hand. It looks to me like the air line runs to this device,

that I believe to be the solenoid I have heard mentioned. It is located in the rear curb side area by the leveling equipment. One wire from the solenoid is grounded next to it and the other runs through the blueish convoluted tubing to this terminal strip

in the upper curb side of the engine bay.
So I’m confused since I thought it would end at a switch on the throttle assy...btw there doesn’t seem to be a throttle switch assy installed.

So, am I looking at something wrong? Were is the wire on the terminal strip going? Maybe to the transmission? Patrick told me that some times the switch was installed on the accelerator pedal somewhere, but I don’t see evidence of that. The back of the pedal connects through the floor to a bell crank that acutuates the throttle cable. I don’t see any electrical connections anywhere. Maybe I have a weird installation? Should this be on the spartan or wanderlodge diagrams? Or maybe this is a PO hack job. Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2019

This is what my switch that activates the PB solenoid looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C771968-8EE2-4191-85AF-457F0C64B5C0.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	61466  
Old 04-22-2019

The bar that workers the switch had fell off and the internals of the switch were frozen up with rust.
Old 04-22-2019

Marty that is what I was looking for. You can see I don’t have any of that in the last picture. Do you know where each of the wires from throttle switch go. Curious if one goes to terminal strip in picture 2.
Old 04-24-2019

You might try to trace it from the other direction.

Follow the air line from the Pacbrake actuator to the air solenoid valve. Mine is near the HWH components on the curb side of the engine, forward of the hy reservoir. From that you could trace wires.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 04-24-2019

Just to clarify something: When you say the Pac Brake Actuator moves by hand do you mean it moves easily or with great difficulty against a strong internal spring?

When my Pac brake failed to operate the actuator was venting air pressure.

I oil and check it annually by airing up the coach and apply 12 volts to the air solenoid valve that Patrick described in post #5.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-24-2019

Brad, you are correct I can move the pacbrake by hand by overcoming the spring in there. I was just indicating that it is not frozen as some have found.

Patrick I did follow the hose from the cylinder back to the actuator and the wires from it terminate on the terminal strip as illustrated in the second picture of post#1. They never pass through a switch assembly.

I think I should apply some air and power to the solenoid to make sure those parts function before I worry more about how the system is detecting an idle condition.
Old 04-25-2019

I am seeing a VIM module in the schematics for the spartan chassis and there is a relay inside of it that controls the signal to the pac solenoid. Does anyone know where the VIM is located?
Old 04-25-2019

Sounds like the VIM is connected directly to the Allison ecu. I will report back it’s location when I find it.
Old 04-26-2019

This item is definitely bad. It’s the quick release valve that sits on top of the pacbrake actuator. Mine has no guts anymore so it acts like an open hose, basically bypassing the actuator. A new one is on the way.

The part number is c10559 for the main valve, c10583 for the threaded adapter that I may need. Both parts are about $22 directly from pacbrake.