Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-29-2019

Sounds like you found the problem.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-29-2019

LeRoy,
I wanted to thank you for talking about your broken Pac in a public way, I am following with grate interest as my Pac dose not work either.
However my unit is still in a barn far away from me or Id be labeling these components too and trouble shooting along side of you, virtually anyway..
Please continue with the updates and grate pictures.
Old 04-29-2019

Brad I hope that fixes it, but we’ll see. I didn’t mention that I couldn’t find a source for the part other than pacbrake. There are probably some out there, but the guy at pacbrake said there isn’t much call for them anymore.

Jim, no problem. In a couple of years I’ll probably retrace my steps on here to fix it again. Lol.
Old 04-30-2019

When I am coming down a ramp or getting up to a stop sign I switch on the PacBrake and can feel the immediate downshifts so I assume everything is working correctly. I haven't lubed it much at all and it still works OK I think.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 04-30-2019

Maybe it’s working Lee, mine down shifts also. I understand it to be a use it or loose it type of device due to the butterfly valve shaft seizing without getting exercised and lubed periodically. I’m guessing there should be a tonal difference in the engine when it activates, aside from the downshift.
Old 04-30-2019

Default Mouse Milk Penetrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
When I am coming down a ramp or getting up to a stop sign I switch on the PacBrake and can feel the immediate downshifts so I assume everything is working correctly. I haven't lubed it much at all and it still works OK I think.

Lee, if the PacBrake needs lubricated, I recommend Mouse Milk which can be purchased thru Aircraft Spruce and other aircraft suppliers. Mouse Milk lubricates and penetrates. Works well on control cables too.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...usemilkoil.php

https://www.mousemilk.com/
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-02-2019

I have the PacBrake lubricant from them and that is what I occasionally use. Every trip (which are often since we are full-timers) I use the PB once or twice early on to make sure it is working correctly. Usually on an off-ramp
or stop light. Not only can I hear the downshifting, but I can also feel it. Mine is set to go to ASAP when the revs allow it to go to 4th and then ASAP when the revs allow it, go to 3rd. I tried it set to go to 2nd but that I thought was too aggressive so I am just using 4th and 3rd.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 05-02-2019

I lube mine with the Pac Brake lubricant and check my Pac Brake every year during my winter season service. I air up the coach and apply 12 volts to the Pac Brake solenoid. I ensure full movement of the brake. I lubricate the pivot points, the actuator ram, and put a couple of the drops into the air line. If you are diligent when you select the engine brake you can feel the following actions: transmission downshift, then the Pac Brake.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 05-03-2019

The new pressure relief valve is here. It turns out that I did need the adapter that was optional. Ymmv, but it goes between the valve and the air cylinder. See below. On the new one If you blow into the supply port it will make an oil can type noise and blowing into the atmospheric port will pass air to the cylinder port. The bad valve passed air from the supply port to both the atomo and cylinder ports.
Old 05-20-2019

I sure would like to test my PAC brake, visually seeing it operate. Some have stated that the do the following.

"I lube mine with the Pac Brake lubricant and check my Pac Brake every year during my winter season service. I air up the coach and apply 12 volts to the Pac Brake solenoid. I ensure full movement of the brake."

Can someone please specifically state what terminals they are passing 12V+ voltage to. I Assume the solenoid in question is the solenoid under the HWH jack valves. I sure don't want to see a spark then smoke while jumping the wrong wires

I can't seem to talk my better half into sitting beside the bed with the motor hatch up while I drive down the road to test it any other way.