Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpig32 View Post
I sure would like to test my PAC brake, visually seeing it operate. Some have stated that the do the following.

"I lube mine with the Pac Brake lubricant and check my Pac Brake every year during my winter season service. I air up the coach and apply 12 volts to the Pac Brake solenoid. I ensure full movement of the brake."

Can someone please specifically state what terminals they are passing 12V+ voltage to. I Assume the solenoid in question is the solenoid under the HWH jack valves. I sure don't want to see a spark then smoke while jumping the wrong wires

I can't seem to talk my better half into sitting beside the bed with the motor hatch up while I drive down the road to test it any other way.
So your right the solenoid should be were you described. If in doubt trace the air hose from the pacbrake to find the solenoid. It’s going to have a ground wire screwed to the body next to it and also the power wire which has a connector you can unplug. You can air up your coach, shut it off, undo the connector I mentioned and use a jumper from the connector to the big terminals on the back of the chassis disconnect switch right above it to get 12v. If it is working the 12v will open the solenoid and air from the coach will be able to reach the actuator and it will move. Disconnect your jumper and the spring pressure will move it back to original position.

I tested ours last weekend and it seems to be working now. I guess in my case it uses the Allison tps to detect throttle position since we don’t have the second switch that everyone describes.
Old 05-21-2019

LeRoy,
Thank you for the clarity, I will try again tonight.

Now that you have gone from a none working PAC to a working PAC, can you tell much of a difference in pre service brake braking ? Out of curiosity dose your Trans shift to 4th or 2nd when you apply the PAC.
Old 05-21-2019

Everyone’s explanations match what I experienced. It was much more effective above 50mph. If I use the momentary position you can feel it engage and disengage as you actuate it. If you turn it on it will engage when your off throttle and begin to downshift. Mine is programmed for 4th. It’s not very hilly around me, but next month we’ll get into some hillier area to try it out more.
Old 05-21-2019

Just an FYI: I check and lube my Pac Brake every winter service. As described, I air up the coach. Then I disconnect the single wire plug. I apply 12 volts to the wire/plug using a 12 volt battery charger. (12 volts to the plug and negative to the chassis ground) The valve will move and stay that way until the 12 volts is removed.

When used on the road I can feel the downshift and then the exhaust brake engaging.
Mine is set to preselect 5th gear. I can manually downshift from there. The higher the engine RPM the more effect the exhaust brake will have. If allowed, the transmission program will downshift to 2800 engine RPM. The C8.3 rpm limits according to Cummins are 2800 with throttle off and 2500 with throttle above idle.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 05-21-2019

Thank you LeRoy, Thank you Brad :-) once step closer. I did air up, I did locate the single wire plug and after connecting 12V+ to it I got a PTSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, well that's something.
Air is rushing out of the pac brake pneumatic actuator. I called out to Dave Hollis, he set me back on track, I fall off quickly I thought I could simply plug it but thankfully hesitated.
I think I have the same air exhaust valve problem as both of you had.

Pac is showing item not in stock, LeRoy, do you recall where you sourced yours form?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pac leak.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	62042  
Old 05-21-2019

It sounds like the guts of your quick release valve are gone like mine were. I just looked up pacbrake on line and called the customer service at 800 663 0096 iirc. Just ask for parts. Make sure to order the adapter I mentioned also.
Old 05-21-2019

Thanks, Silly question, but how did you describe the part you needed? Did you get the feeling they have just the one quick release valve for all there cylinders?
Old 05-21-2019

I told them what model and year I was working on and described the part. The parts counter guy knew the part number from memory. I listed the part numbers for what I ordered earlier in this thread. Look for the picture with the valve taken apart.
Old 05-22-2019

Having trouble locating the parts this side of the state of Washington.

By chance anyone know a shop that might have the parts that I could request to ship to Ohio before the weekend?
C10559 Valve, C10583 Adapter.
Old 05-22-2019

I will look again now that there is a part number but I only found it at pacbrake. I would think it is used for other things also. I assume you called pacbrakew?