Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-17-2009

You'll definitely want to get her figured out before your Alaska trip. The roadbeds can be very unstable and if you do truly have that much imbalance, it could wreak havoc on the frame. They rebiuld major sections of the road and just lay down a sand bed out across the surrounding area for the temporary road. If it's been raining, you will sink 6-8" as you drive through. You won't get stuck, unless you hit the brakes hard, slide a bit and push up a "sand dam" in front of your tires. We rode up on the motorcycles in '02 and became quite experienced wet sand riders!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-17-2009
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgchd View Post
Randy, exactly how would you do that??..... raise the height of the HCV on the heavy rear, lower the heavy HCV, or raise or lower the HCV on the "light" side..... reason I ask is I need to make the same adjustment and this topic always confuses me........ what valve to adjust.... not hard to do when you are old and senile, thanks!

you will have to pick which side you want to adjust,with this small of an adjustment you will not change the ride height of the coach.

loosen the HCV adjuster and slide the pushrod up slightly,tighten the adjuster.
move the coach back and forth on the scales,walk around in it and rock it if you can,wait for the HCV to adjust,then read the scales.
dumping the tag axle air on tag equipped coachs is required.

Its easy,but make small adjustments.

an easy way to get your mind wrapped around this concept is to gt a 12''X12'' peice of plywood,1/4'' thick.
scale the coach,then back the coach off the scales,put the plywood down on the scale and drive the rear tires up on the board,read the weights.
the tires with the board under it will be heavy,as will the diagonal tire on the front,all weight transfers diagonally.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-17-2009

Brad,

I am pretty sure I had a good weigh. It was level, no one waiting behind me so I took my time on the weigh. I have never checked ride height, so good point there.

David,

What effect would you expect from the anti-sway bar? With a sway bar should spread the load more evenly across the front?

Randy,
If ride height turns out to be correct when I check it, do you think I can solve this weight imbalance with the adjusters, or should I move weight around, or both?

Thanks all,
Old 09-17-2009
davidmbrady

Dan,

An anti-sway bar can sometimes cause the kind of problem that you're addressing. With the bus on a flat surface, the vertical links on the sway bar shouldn't have any tension in them. If there is tension, the the bar is twisting and causing weight transfer from side to side. Since you don't have a bar, this is a non-issue.
Old 09-17-2009
Forum owner

Dan,using the body to check ride height is risky,basicly you are betting that each body panel on the coach was built the same,installed the same and stayed the same since the coach was new.

I set the ride heights while under the coach in my pit,i measure between the frame and the axle housing,this is the place to do it,granted,its not easy.
I have seen the body to be off over 1'' from side to side,so doing it my way is better (this time anyway!).

On your coach I would adjust the HCV only,since your cross weights are so far off.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-17-2009

Dan if you email Wendy Jarvis at Spartan with your last six digits of your VIN she can provide a build sheet and ride height measurements.

Wendy.Jarvis@spartanchassis.com
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-25-2010

Hi Brad,
I finally emailed for the (expanded) build sheet, but there are no ride ht measurements in it. I guess I need to ask for that seperatly?

Edit: I went ahead and emailed back for ride ht and alignment #s.
Likely specific to year:
1994 Spartan w optional ht #s for 1" spacer blocks factory installed:
10.25" front, 8.50" rear

She was fast on the data sheets, and fast on ride ht and alignment data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Dan if you email Wendy Jarvis at Spartan with your last six digits of your VIN she can provide a build sheet and ride height measurements.

Wendy.Jarvis@spartanchassis.com

Last edited by AC7880; 01-26-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2010

Glad it worked out Dan.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 02-04-2010

9-16-2009 I weighed my BMC 37' myself in a OR weigh station.
Then:
Full fuel (around 140 gallons), 1/2 tank fresh water of around 50 gallons, propane around 3/4 full, both of us seated as for travel.

Left front 6500 lbs, RF 5500 lbs, 12,000 total.
Left rear 10,000 lbs, RR 11,400 lbs, 21,400 lbs total rear, 33,400 lbs total coach.

I am at Brazel's Performance RV in Centrailia WA, and they weighed for me today.
Nearly full fuel (around 130 gallons), 1/2 tank fresh water of around 50 gallons, propane 100% full, no one in coach, fully loaded for fulltiming.
Left front 6720 lbs, RF 5120 lbs, 11,840 total.
Left rear 9760 lbs, RR 11,600 lbs, 21,360 lbs total rear, 33,200 lbs total coach.

After they weighed the coach, I moved some basement weight (heavier items on left rearward, light items on left forward, heavier items on right forward, lighter items rearward. Tomorrow they will set my ride height and re-weigh the results.

I'll post the results after all my service is done and we relocate to the next campground.
Old 02-05-2010
Forum owner

Dan,adjusting the right rear HCV will take some weight off that wheel,and the left front as well,the weight will transfer diagonally.
If you take weight off the right rear,it will take weight off the left front too.
It will add weight to the other tires.
Remember,you can only move weight diagonally with the HCV's,you can't move weight from side to side or front to back,unless you physically move something,tools,beer,whatever!

Keep us advised,this is a good topic.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com