Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-19-2009

Default BMC's

Yeah, and with BMC's you don't have all those extra gauges you never look at and don't need because they are there to tell you about stuff that you don't want to know about anyway.

What do they say.....Ignorance is bliss. If you don't know it's broke, you don't have to worry about fixing it.

And I too love that 8-9 mpg

Best,

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-21-2009

We have a 99LX with the 450M11. I've had the cat,6-V and 8-Vdetroits.

We don't have a lot of time with the cummins but so far it's great. Plenty of power and starts good also seems to get really good economy but have not gotten an accurate check yet. Only thing I have a hard time with is the low oil pressure compared to the Detroit. I've called cummins and they said if it runs at 30psi and idle's at anything more than 0 it's a good engine. I had oil analysis done and it all looks good, just turned 74000 miles. We're at SPI site 14S---If anyone's comes down stop[ by.
Old 12-21-2009

Thanx for the chuckle Lee, and for the info Bob. The Duramax (Isuzu) in my pick-up idles about 25-30 lbs too, with no worries.
Old 12-21-2009
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Yeah, and with BMC's you don't have all those extra gauges you never look at and don't need because they are there to tell you about stuff that you don't want to know about anyway.

What do they say.....Ignorance is bliss. If you don't know it's broke, you don't have to worry about fixing it.

And I too love that 8-9 mpg

Best,
Yeah Lee if you had more gauges to watch just think what else you might hit while trying to park the bus???
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 12-22-2009

Steve,
The hydraulic fan will almost turn your pockets inside out if you walk past the intake with the engine revved up to about 2000 rpm. No electric fan would be able to do that unless it had a huge motor, Then you would need someway to slow it down or it would pick lots of grass up just idling out thru the campground. The hyd fan will do this but not too bad if you just idle along. The suction is so strong after I installed the retrofit kit that it will suck water up off the concrete just like jet engines on the low wing mounted airplanes like the 737.
Another thing to think about is, when was the last time you had a problem with the power steering on your car? They seem to be pretty good systems and last a good long time. My bus had about 115,000 miles on it when I got it and apparently no overheating problems until I took it to the big mountains. It would run just fine as long as I kept it in Texas and the p/o said he never had any problems either.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 12-23-2009

Default BMC's

John,

I think that was the problem with that campground post. I was pretending to be a Wanderloge and was spending too much time not looking out for the simple stuff.

However, small repair. No sweat.....A little blue duct tape took care of it.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-23-2009

Default thanx, bad news/good news, and question(s)...

Thanks for clarifying hydraulic fan questions I had, Max,....I've got a better handle on the volume of air it moves, now!

Next, the friend that was interested in my 79 FC-33 decided to open his own business, and consequently walked away from the deal (with good reason, and we are still good friends). So, I'm putting together an ad and some pictures to see if it will find it's way into someone else's driveway. I plan to post it on this forum, a few other places local and on the internet, and send out some emails to a bunch of the guys I race with.

I also got a call back on one of the 40' BMCs that I'm interested in, and will be heading south in January to take a look at it and make an offer. I decided that I can't take it ($$$) w/me, and by doing some creative finance manipulation, I can pull it off with just a little longer mortgage (as long as my pal leaves me some income).

Being pretty familiar w/the FCs and knowing not a lot about the BMCs, I'm wondering what to check and to ask about. It seems from what's been said here, the M11 and World 6sp are a reliable combination. How about the air suspension, aqua hot water heat, the ducted a/c, diesel generator hours, or anything else that might be unique/important to this 'Bird.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2009
RV Appraiser

Lee does that mean you went to Lowe's without me? To buy duct tape?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 12-28-2009

Steve,

There's nothing special about the LX over your FC. The basic systems will be very familiar once you get acquainted. The AquaHot just needs a filter and burner tip replacement "yearly". It's recommended yearly, but is often put off. If the AH works, great, but if not, you should consider doing that before anything else. THe ducted AC is very simple and should be any problem. Either the AC works or it doesn't, the ducting won't impact that. It's tough to get too many hours on these Powertech gennies. But a bunch of hours for few miles can tell you how the coach spent it's life. Good luck!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-28-2009

Thanx John. This has a P-tech 12.5 KW w/895hrs vs approx 69K miles on the coach. Does that sound about right? Also, on the Aquahot, one of the other BMCs I was interested in just had the AH replaced for $8500. I thought that was a little high, but they're all new to me, so I'm not really sure. Thoughts?