Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-28-2009

that is about right for an Aquahot

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 12-29-2009

Steve,

From what I've seen, 895hrs with 69K is not out of line. I would think that would indicate a coach that boondocked enough to keep things working wtihout wearing them out. I agree that the $8500 sounds high initially, but I think the unit is about $6k-$6500. So once you add tax, labor, antifreeze, extra parts, etc, etc- that's probably not that far out. Again, if you don't have to have it replaced on the road, you can find it for less. When you're sitting in Estes Park in December and your heat goes out, what are you going to do?? Sounds like it's time to get looking at some BMC's!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-29-2009

Default Aquahot

I recall when I was working on my AH (check out the thread about "Under the Skirts of an Aquahot" I had a coolant leak and had to drill out the rivets on the left side and get under that cover and several "certified" AH technicians said they had never seen that side. My leak was at the filler neck so it was easy to replace with a new neck, but when I talked with AH and asked what would be the case if the leak was under the coils they said that was what they called "catastrophic failure" and it would need to be replaced with a new one for $9000. At that point I can tell you I would have torn it totally apart if needed and done a lot of copper tubing bending before I spent $9K
They are relatively simple once you go through them and the left side is not so bad either. I believe you could rebuild one from scratch keeping the parts that worked for a lot less than $9K.

Now I know, if you are in the cold someplace (seems like a location problem as opposed to a temperature problem to me ) then it may be a different story.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-29-2009

Thanks folks. I looked up some other Birds for sale and checked generator hours (when they were listed), and thought these hrs seemed just a little high, but about right. On the AH, does the unit work kind of like a FHW system? ...a modified oil burner heats a coil system filled w/circulating water, w/fans blowing over finned radiators in different locations. Is it a closed loop system w/antifreeze treated water doing the the heat transfer? or does this unit heat the tap water too? Is this unit located in one of the bays?
Lee, I couldn't find the thread you mentioned above.... I am interested in finding as much as possible about these AH systems, as this Bird will be wintering up north for the next couple of years, and I certainly want to make sure that I don't screw it up by not winterizing it or maintaining it correctly.

Just got a reply back, and it looks like we'll be heading down south the middle of the month to inspect the coach, and if all goes well, we'll work out an arrangement for pick up!!!
Old 12-30-2009

Steve which BMC are you looking at over at VB?? The one with 26k miles or the one with 46k?? Both are listed at 80k$
User name says the rest
Old 12-30-2009

Default Aquahot

Steve,

Sorry the link to those pictures no longer works, so if you want send me an email and I will forward some notes about the AH and pictures of what I did

I have tried several times to put pictures on here from my computer but can't figure out how to do it. I tried following John Finn's instructions but they seem to be mostly about getting pictures or URL's from the web, so at this point I have given up (sorry John)

What can I say, I'm just not up to it.

Best,

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 12-30-2009

Default AH

The diesel burner actually heats a large cylindrical coolant tank that is wrapped with copper tubing in a heat transfer medium. The coolant transfers heat through the tank to the water in the tubing which is pumped various places around the bus for heating and hot water (at least in the BMC's) and that's how it works. The coolant can be heated by the electric element or the diesel burner The electric element in the coolant tank is not very robust, I think about 5000 BTU's so when the outside weather gets in the 30's it can't keep up (but it will keep the AH water in the tubing from freezing). If you fire up the diesel burner it gets hot quick as that is some large number like 50,000 BTU's. Since we are south for the winters I rarely need the diesel burner but try to fire it up once a month or so to keep fresh fuel in it and so forth.

I have never needed to winterize mine so can't help you there. I have been in low 20's overnight temps and the bays overnight with us living in it are warm enough to keep it from freezing if I just keep the electric on it. The days are warmer so no problem there. Usually we heat the inside in those cold temps with little ceramic heaters so we are using the campground electricity already paid for. Dry camping in those temperatures would require running the diesel burner I think.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 12-30-2009

Quote:
Steve which BMC are you looking at over at VB?? The one with 26k miles or the one with 46k?? Both are listed at 80k$
User name says the rest
Mike - actually neither....this is on the BirdConnection. The BMC w/46K miles (Charlie's) has been given to his son (as I was told by him). The one w/26K (Bob's) - I corresponded with him, and liked the bus, but it had no ladder or goat rail. I also get a little nervous about something that sat around as long as that has.

This one is a '97, summers in IL, winters in FL, and has just under 70K miles. We're going down in a few weeks to inspect & deposit it, I hope.
Old 12-30-2009

The power of hydraulics. An electric motor big enough to swing that size of a fan would be nearly as big as the fan and some kind of heavy.

JC
Old 01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletop View Post
Mike - actually neither....this is on the BirdConnection. The BMC w/46K miles (Charlie's) has been given to his son (as I was told by him). The one w/26K (Bob's) - I corresponded with him, and liked the bus, but it had no ladder or goat rail. I also get a little nervous about something that sat around as long as that has.

This one is a '97, summers in IL, winters in FL, and has just under 70K miles. We're going down in a few weeks to inspect & deposit it, I hope.

Thats a nice looking coach Steve hope it works out for you.
User name says the rest