Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-30-2010

Default Paint Codes on BMC? Need some paint.

I'm looking for the paint codes on my 94 BMC 37'. I looked on all the tags over the windshield, and the tags in the engine compartment - no paint codes.

I'll dig through the blue boxes next. In the meantime, anyone know where they hid the codes on a BMC?

Does anyone know what type of paint they used on the BMCs? I searched the paint threads on this site, and see BB used 3 different types of paint over the years.

The problem I am having is on the green color on the front cap, especially the lower half at mid belt across the gen cover and a bit to the sides of the gen cover. The clear coat has bubbled and is peeling. And of course since this is the front cap, plenty of sand and gravel dings in the paint.

My game plan is to have the lower 1/2 of the front cap re-painted. I may pull the gen cover and have only that re-painted. As a fulltimer, I don't want to have to move out of the coach for painting.

I'll try and post pics of the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000782(1).JPG
Views:	284
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	5215   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000784(1).JPG
Views:	291
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	5216  
Old 05-30-2010

Also, looking at the pics, how do you think it would look if I painted the entire gen cover only in the green, instead of the 2 tone green/beige.

As I look at the front end, it seems it would look pretty good that way, and sure be easier.
Old 05-30-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
I'm looking for the paint codes on my 94 BMC 37'. I looked on all the tags over the windshield, and the tags in the engine compartment - no paint codes.

I'll dig through the blue boxes next. In the meantime, anyone know where they hid the codes on a BMC?

Does anyone know what type of paint they used on the BMCs? I searched the paint threads on this site, and see BB used 3 different types of paint over the years.

The problem I am having is on the green color on the front cap, especially the lower half at mid belt across the gen cover and a bit to the sides of the gen cover. The clear coat has bubbled and is peeling. And of course since this is the front cap, plenty of sand and gravel dings in the paint.

My game plan is to have the lower 1/2 of the front cap re-painted. I may pull the gen cover and have only that re-painted. As a fulltimer, I don't want to have to move out of the coach for painting.

I'll try and post pics of the paint.
Dan,

You can probably get a better match for your paint due to it fading and aging some from the environment, by finding a body and paint shop that uses this type of system;

[quote].............a digital paint-matching system that's become quite common in the business. It's based on a Minolta digital spectrometer, which works something like a camera, but instead of producing an image, it analyzes the hues in the sample and produces a readout of color codes.[/qoute]http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ide/index.html

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-30-2010

mine are above the winshield
on a pretty flimsy stick on tag

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 05-30-2010

[QUOTE=iamflagman;58879]Dan,

You can probably get a better match for your paint due to it fading and aging some from the environment, by finding a body and paint shop that uses this type of system;

Quote:
.............a digital paint-matching system that's become quite common in the business. It's based on a Minolta digital spectrometer, which works something like a camera, but instead of producing an image, it analyzes the hues in the sample and produces a readout of color codes.[/qoute]http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ide/index.html
I agree with John. Once you find the type of paint used on your coach, you’ll be better off matching the paint the way it looks now verses what it looked like when it was new using paint numbers. Bet the match will be near perfect.
Old 05-30-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

rob had bedliner put on his up there and it held up good //
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 05-30-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoody View Post
rob had bedliner put on his up there and it held up good //
Yup Speedliner....rubber-like product. If you use something like Rhino with crystal mineral content then the bugs won't wash off. They get imbedded and become a permanent addition and colour splotch
Old 05-30-2010

Rob,

What kind of prep work was required? Does it need to be sanded first? Or just cleaned well, then masked off to shoot it on? My paint color scheme is very close to your paint scheme. How did they get that color? If you had it to do over would you use the same color, or modify it in some way?

I see you did this about 4 years ago, still looking good? http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ght=Speedliner

Where did you have yours done? Do you recall roughly the price and how long the job took from start to finish? Wondering if we can live in the rig while this process would take place. If I go this route, I'll want to do more than just the gen cover.

Edit: I looked at their website for the process part (sanding etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Yup Speedliner....rubber-like product. If you use something like Rhino with crystal mineral content then the bugs won't wash off. They get imbedded and become a permanent addition and colour splotch

Last edited by AC7880; 05-30-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Rob,

What kind of prep work was required? Does it need to be sanded first? Or just cleaned well, then masked off to shoot it on? My paint color scheme is very close to your paint scheme. How did they get that color? If you had it to do over would you use the same color, or modify it in some way?

I see you did this about 4 years ago, still looking good? http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ght=Speedliner

Where did you have yours done? Do you recall roughly the price and how long the job took from start to finish? Wondering if we can live in the rig while this process would take place. If I go this route, I'll want to do more than just the gen cover.

Edit: I looked at their website for the process part (sanding etc).
Dan the job was done in Harlingen TX. The product is Speedliner. A google will produce dealer locations. Yes there is some prep and light sanding. Half the bus was masked off to prevent overspray. Price was around $250. My colour was a 'bucket job' and not perfect. I would recommend you have your colours shot with a camera and then you'll get a better job. The paint is mixed without hardener.
Old 05-30-2010

Rob,

I'm doing some research on the various products. Did you look into xline?
http://www.linex.com/ Looks like it would compare well with speedliner?

I'll be checking on both, as well as traditional paint.

Does anyone know if the original BMC paint is PPG? Rob, your colors and mine look very similar - do you know what paint in on yours?

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Dan the job was done in Harlingen TX. The product is Speedliner. A google will produce dealer locations. Yes there is some prep and light sanding. Half the bus was masked off to prevent overspray. Price was around $250. My colour was a 'bucket job' and not perfect. I would recommend you have your colours shot with a camera and then you'll get a better job. The paint is mixed without hardener.