Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-31-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Rob,

I'm doing some research on the various products. Did you look into xline?
http://www.linex.com/ Looks like it would compare well with speedliner?

I'll be checking on both, as well as traditional paint.

Does anyone know if the original BMC paint is PPG? Rob, your colors and mine look very similar - do you know what paint in on yours?

Thanks for the help.
Sorry no idea what paint brand I had. Don't know anything about Xline. If it is rubber based it can't be bad. Just as long as it isn't Rhino type stuff
Old 06-01-2010

Default BMC Paint Codes

Rob. Find a BASF jobber that has the new color camera (I have two at my store) and have great results . It is state of art. I can also most of the time translate Dupont,PPg,Sherwin Williams codes Lee Condosta 85 PT 40 Holden Beach N.C BASF,Sikkens,Sherwin Williams Jobber Wilmington N.C 910-520-9166
Old 06-01-2010

Lee, Just curious does that BASF camera work with the new water based paints? In other words does the computer/mixer use the new water based paint and toners?

Thanks,
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-02-2010

Default Camera Matching

Brad,

I have no idea as mine was of course not painted originally with water based paint and they did not use that on the repaint. They used some BASF urethane paint on the repaint as I recall. However, I suspect BASF has it worked out where you can match whatever you want. Too much water-based stuff used now (especially in CA) for it not to be worked out.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Brad,

I have no idea as mine was of course not painted originally with water based paint and they did not use that on the repaint. They used some BASF urethane paint on the repaint as I recall. However, I suspect BASF has it worked out where you can match whatever you want. Too much water-based stuff used now (especially in CA) for it not to be worked out.
Oops... Sorry, I meant Lee Condosta for this set of posts:

Rob. Find a BASF jobber that has the new color camera (I have two at my store) and have great results . It is state of art. I can also most of the time translate Dupont,PPg,Sherwin Williams codes Lee Condosta 85 PT 40 Holden Beach N.C BASF,Sikkens,Sherwin Williams Jobber Wilmington N.C 910-520-9166

My post: Lee Condosta, Just curious does that BASF camera work with the new water based paints? In other words does the computer/mixer use the new water based paint and toners?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-03-2010

Default Paint Match

By the way,they used the BASF system to repaint my fender and got a great match on the large stripe colors but missed the blue (one of the major colors). (the blue they ended up with is prettier but not when it's only on a fender and bay door). When I get back to FL we will talk about that.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 06-03-2010

Smile Paint Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcondosta View Post
Rob.All new BASF paint chips are sprayed with water and it does not matter if your coach was painted with water or solvent the camera will match it. I dont know of any coaches that where painted at the factory with water so if your coach was not repainted it is solvent. Lee Condosta 85 PT 40 Holden Beach N.C K.O.A ing in Wilmington N.C
Old 06-16-2010

Today I had the lower front cap of my BMC coated with LineX and then color matched (3 coats of paint over the LineX). The color is "close", but with the textured surface, and no clear coat it is not a 100 percent perfect match. The paint supply that used a camera to match did not get a perfect paint match on any of my 3 colors on the coach - but each is "very close". I like the end result of the LineX work.

The owner of this franchise prefers to not mix the paint into the LineX coating, but rather to top spray. He has tried both ways over several years and prefers the end results and easier touchups of the top coat paint. He can do it either way if you prefer.

I'll put the after pics below. For the before pics go to page 1 and 2 of the thread. I have slow internet connectivity here and don't want to put up more pics than necessary. It was sprinkling rain when I took the pics.

On the after pics, I have not put my license plate nor the BMC front emblem back on yet.

LineX of Eugene Oregon did the work. He gave me a estimate in advance based on photos I emailed him of between $450 to $500 with the understanding it was a rough estimate. Final bill was $550 which was 100 percent ok with me. When he does a longbed pickup coating color matched he charges $450 and it takes 2 hours. He and his crew took 5 hours on my rig today - so I believe $550 was a bargain.

He did say if someone else wants the same done to expect a higher estimate and higher end bill. It also depends on the paint code which can affect the cost of the paint.

Links to read up on LineX coating are in the thread above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000875(1).JPG
Views:	257
Size:	608.7 KB
ID:	5416   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000877(1).JPG
Views:	254
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	5417   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000880(1).JPG
Views:	253
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	5418  
Old 06-16-2010

Dan,
Looks like you got a great job. Durability beyond paint I continue to think about doing this to the front of our '87 PT. Might do this process instead of paint. I have all the paint colors to paint the entire coach but the front takes a beating and the texture coating is looking better each day I think about this project. Please keep us post as to bug splats, etc.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-16-2010

looks good Dan!