Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-18-2010

Did you replace yours Brad? I think mine is still ok. The lights on test only moves my volt meter down a tiny tick. Do you have the price - maybe I should haul one as a spare? Or put a new one in and then haul the old one as a spare?

I still haven't looked for the second solonoid that feeds to the fuel solonoid under the rear hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
FYI:

The Napa Echlin part number is: ST85.
Old 08-19-2010

I am replacing mine this week. I have the same symptoms Ed had. When driving down the road with the headlights on during the last trip my engine battery voltmeter said 11 volts and the house battery voltmeter said 12+ volts. So rather than waiting till the failure I will replace it now while in my shop rather than on the road. I will keep the old one as an emergency spare.

Price was $60 for the Echlin at Napa, $40 for the BD at Autozone. You have to love these California prices don't you? Both are made in China.

If yours is only dropping a tick on voltage and staying above 12 volts then a spare might be nice but it appears they are very common as everyone had one on hand.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 08-19-2010
Black Sheep Division

Would a 1982 PT40 have one of those? If so, where would I find it? I just bought it today & got ready to leave & the Volt meter showed not charging & lights started dimming. I gone it back to the PO shop & plugged it it. I am camped out here til in the morning.

TOM
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
FYI:

The Napa Echlin part number is: ST85.
Here is an alternate source link; offers other x-ref stock numbers and a decent price. There are many of these on the FC coaches. Good to have a spare...although it is a very common item and easy to find.

Ryder Fleet Products:

http://http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/51832/pn/Solenoid-Continuous4-Pole12vSteel/erm/product_detail.jsp

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 08-19-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Would a 1982 PT40 have one of those? If so, where would I find it? I just bought it today & got ready to leave & the Volt meter showed not charging & lights started dimming. I gone it back to the PO shop & plugged it it. I am camped out here til in the morning.

TOM
First check the basics, batteries, alternator, AC battery charger
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
First check the basics, batteries, alternator, AC battery charger
I am with Bill on this one. Your symptoms as described here sound like a basic charging issue to me. On my BMC if I turned the headlights off the voltmeters went to 13 volts.

I am going to change the solenoid to see if there is an improvement like Ed got. If not than I have a good spare.
Old 08-19-2010

Headlights on or off, I have at/over 13.5 on the 2 voltmeters. Just a tiny tick of a difference lights on or off. Since they are readily available and you guys have parts numbers for us, I will not be buying a spare.

Let us know what replacing yours does to your voltmeter readings.

Quote:
I am replacing mine this week. I have the same symptoms Ed had. When driving down the road with the headlights on during the last trip my engine battery voltmeter said 11 volts and the house battery voltmeter said 12+ volts. So rather than waiting till the failure I will replace it now while in my shop rather than on the road. I will keep the old one as an emergency spare.

Price was $60 for the Echlin at Napa, $40 for the BD at Autozone. You have to love these California prices don't you? Both are made in China.

If yours is only dropping a tick on voltage and staying above 12 volts then a spare might be nice but it appears they are very common as everyone had one on hand.
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Let us know what replacing yours does to your voltmeter readings.
Well, it would appear I have similiar results as Ed did. My voltmeter now stays above 12 volts with the headlights on with the new solenoid/relay installed. Before, the engine/chassis voltmeter would drop to 11 volts when the headlights were on and the house batteries would read 12+ volts. Now, I can run the headlights and the dash air and my lowest reading at engine idle is 12 volts on both voltmeters.

I will keep the old one as an emergency spare but because they are easy to come by I am not going to buy a new spare unless I found one "Made in the USA" vs Made in China.
Old 08-19-2010

Ed.
The nut that's holding the red cable on is lose, put a wrench on it and give it another quarter turn, or so
Old 08-19-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harvie View Post
Ed.
The nut that's holding the red cable on is lose, put a wrench on it and give it another quarter turn, or so

Jim has really good eye sight, or just more experience than most of us.