Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-06-2011

Exclamation Cummins 8.3 Auxillary Drive Support

After attending the LSB rally a couple of weeks ago, we pin pointed a leak in the auxillary drive. Everyone said it was a repair that I could do so I got home after the rally and ordered the gasket to make the repair. After about 4 - 5 hours of tinkering with it I realized it was not a repair for me to complete. So add 3 or 4 more hours and had it back together. What I did find during my tear down was two bolts that are supposed to support the auxillary drive unit were not there. The bolts that go into the engine block had fallen out during the years. One hole had a toasted dirt diver nest built in it. So everyone at the rally recommended Clyde at Sequin Diesel should be where I take my bird since he owns one. So we are now in Canyon Lake waiting for a Monday appointment. Met him on Friday so he could take a quick look. Says he is very familiar with this repair. Says it might not be the gasket but the aluminun plate and will not know till he gets bird on Monday. Sure hope it is not the plate, got 2 dogs and 1 cat that we are going to have to find a place on Monday if he has to tear down the front of the engine. If we have to do a teardown, what other items should we fix since he is in the area. My bird has 91K miles on it. If we are going to spends upwards of 2k, whats a few hundred more. I guess at the least we should have him change transmission, gear oil and antifreeze. What else? If it is the plate, all could have been avoided by 2 lost bolts. I will make sure he puts lock washers on the bolts this time. So go check your birds. You should have two bolts going to block and two bolts mounting the bracket to the auxillary drive unit.

Al & Kathy Johnson
'96 BMC 37 B75
Mandeville, Louisiana
Currently in Canyon Lake till Wednesday then headed to Alexandria for my son's state varisty weight lifting meet.
Old 03-06-2011
Forum Moderator

From what I've heard Al you can trust Clyde to give you good advice on what else should be 'checked', 'lubed' and 'replaced'.
Old 03-07-2011

I would very much appreciate pictures of the missing bolt areas and wonder if this problem applies to other Cummins engines or is unique to the 8.3.

Thank you if this is possible.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-07-2011

Rob.. Thanks for your confirmaition..

Brad.. I will take picture of the area once we get back home next week. We did not bring our camera on this trip. You have a 37' model just like mine so you for sure have it. You can't miss it since it is mounted to both the mount and block. I would assume that all cummins with auxillary drive units will have some form of support. It is worth the look just to confirm.

Al & Kathy Johnson
'96 BMC 37 BMC
Mandeville, Louisiana
Old 03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Johnson View Post
Rob.. Thanks for your confirmaition..

Brad.. I will take picture of the area once we get back home next week. We did not bring our camera on this trip. You have a 37' model just like mine so you for sure have it. You can't miss it since it is mounted to both the mount and block. I would assume that all cummins with auxillary drive units will have some form of support. It is worth the look just to confirm.

Al & Kathy Johnson
'96 BMC 37 BMC
Mandeville, Louisiana
Whats an "auxillary drive unit"?
Old 03-07-2011

OK, I think I know what Al is talking about here.

On the lower left side (passenger side) of my 8.3 Cummins behind the engine gearcase is the air compressor with a through drive for the hydraulic pump. The hydraulic pump is mounted to back of the compressor. Where the hydraulic pump mounts to the compressor is a support mount. There are two bolts that bolt to the hydraulic pump support and two bolts that bolt into the engine block. I just checked my bolts. All were there however, the lower bolt to the engine block was very loose. (I could loosen it by hand) The upper was not tight either. It is a 13mm shoulder bolt. I will retorque and use some thread locker on it. All this is done from below while looking up.

I would suggest all 8.3 owners check all four bolts. I have no idea if this applies to other Cummins engines.

Last edited by bwinter1946; 03-08-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Corrected errors
Old 03-08-2011

Just checked my coach (ISL 8.9 Cummins). It looks to be a little different than whats described in the other post but I did find two loose Bolts that mount the support bracket for the hydraulic pump. There are three 3/4" bolts that bolt the bracket to the block...two of the three were loose!

Good catch guys...thanks for the heads-up!
Old 03-08-2011

Thanks for checking yours Robert.

I retorqued my bolts and added a thread locker to keep them tight

Sounds like the M380s and maybe the LXs should check their mounts also.

Also I corrected the verbage/item descriptions in my earlier #6 post.

The problem is the air pump and hydraulic pump support mount bolts coming loose.
Old 03-10-2011

Default Bolts

Brad, Can you just crawl under there and see those bolts or do you have to get it jacked up? Did you support it or is there enough room when the air is let out and it is totally down to check under there?

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 03-10-2011

On my coach, I just crawled underneath it. If you can fit under the body you can see it. Access is helped by the fact that the body line sweeps up for ground clearance at that spot. Mine has been sitting for a while so it is low on the air bags but it is in my shop on a nice, clean, flat, concrete floor and safety clearance was not an issue.

Your circumstance might vary and all safety warnings apply.