Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 10-15-2021

After thinking about the foaming coolant and seeing some comments in WOG on this happening after mixing different types of coolant I am optimistically going with that theory as it did happen after I added more coolant form a new jug. I will drain all the coolant and refill once Retro is here and see how that goes.
Old 10-15-2021

I think that would be like doing a lobotomy for a bad habit.LOL You are correct that you can definitely have a problem mixing antifreeze but I would not think that’s what has happened. No signs of over heating ? Drain and refill after a careful and complete exam and diagnosis DR LOL I’d think leak first. And once you drain it what antifreeze will you use? You will not have it all out and if you then put the wrong stuff in THEN the fun begins Follow my concerns

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-15-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Simply amazing. Good for you Adam. I will tell you that I would personally never drive a BB on snowy roads any further then it would take to get safely parked . Others may do differently
I agree. I am not intending to go further than from the port to the clinic although there is a steep grade coming up out of the port which could be interesting. Slow and easy!
Old 10-15-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I think that would be like doing a lobotomy for a bad habit.LOL You are correct that you can definitely have a problem mixing antifreeze but I would not think that’s what has happened. No signs of over heating ? Drain and refill after a careful and complete exam and diagnosis DR LOL I’d think leak first. And once you drain it what antifreeze will you use? You will not have it all out and if you then put the wrong stuff in THEN the fun begins Follow my concerns
Ha ha! No signs of overheating. I think I will drain what I can, pull that alternator bolt and seal around that and flush with fresh water with all the heater valves open, drain again and then fill again and see what happens. I do still find it a bit odd that mixing antifreezes would cause this. The problem is that I did that and removed the bolt, and opened the heater valves all on the same day!
Old 10-15-2021

Problem is no matter how much you drain and flush do you ever get it all? Use what Jim used and unless you are certain that what you used to top off is a problem I would not go to that much trouble I’m no expert and this might be bad advice but maybe others will jump in. You have GALLONS of stuff to deal with. Just might not be necessary

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-16-2021

I agree John. I am pretty sure the green stuff Jim used and I used are the same. I will start by sealing up the bolt I removed for the alternator bracket. If it is on the suction side of the water pump, it could explain everything. I will try to get to that this week and see.
Old 10-17-2021

The green stuff I used was generic autozone and also prestone,both concentrate. It was diluted with R.O. purified water. I am thinking leak, but I am not there. It will be an interesting week. I am looking foreward to news later in the week.
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 10-18-2021

I collected the bus form the Port of Anchorage today. I think he was in shock - it was 25 degrees! Poor guy. He started right up and after warming up a few minutes was back on the road. I will try to get to the coolant issue this week but working outside in the snow is not my favorite but it does make sliding under the bus easier!