Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 08-25-2021

Default School bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
You'd be better off to find a used school bus from a district upgrading their fleet.

Mike is probably right. I just saw this Crown on ebay yesterday: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26528123300...UAAOSw6iJhI4JS

The description says it is 4 wheel drive. Wow! Wouldn't that be excellent up here. I don't know much about Crown Buses but after reading this seller's description, I want one.

Most of the school buses up here have the auto chains which would be nice.

I am not sure about the cost of starting with a bare school bus and adding a bath, kitchen, generator etc vs buying a Coach with all the systems in place already. I am aiming for something we can get on the road by Spring 2022.
Old 08-25-2021

ROVER

I have a 31 foot 1980 wanderlodge and I come from a 45 foot prevost. I live in Belize and we have lots of bad roads. Don't worry, you will be fine driving it in Alaska as long as the bus drive train and the suspension are in tip top condition.

It is itsy bitsy (technical term meaning really, skinny and short) and has less room than you think. Go for it... it is a beautiful place to start. I like mine so much I plan to buy another as soon as I can find it. Small is not impossible.... 31 feet is nice for two people; and, it is strong as an ox. I am also sure it will cost more to bring the old baby up to snuff than following Mike H's recommendation.

You can probably trade it for a 35 footer which has lots more room (not really lots, but, it seems bigger).

rob@rwl.net
Old 08-28-2021

Default Hello

Well, this is a surprise to see! I don't check in for a few days and stuff happens.

I expect to have the bus driveable the week after next. I had made the radiator swingable, but had not worked out the transmission cooler lines and engine coolant hoses, but have since ordered the parts which will be delivered next week. ( we will be camping in Shadow next week )

I had re-installed the original hoses to be able to move the bus around the yard, I had not re-installed the electric fans so runtime was too limited to go around the block last week when we got the brakes working. (They just needed bleeding.)

I have made a point to expose everything the bus needs (that I know of) to Adam. He will be here in California long enough for us to test things reasonably and ensure that we both feel the project is as safe as can be.

I drove the bus to the San Francisco Bay Area from Los Angeles a few years ago and it was an interesting run. The only problem was a (probably mis-percieved on my part) cooling problem going up the Cuesta Grade North of San Luis Obispo. I say mis-percieved because the temp gauge is a bit old and imprecise and I did not have a clue as to what a "do not exceed" temp was. I think I assumed that it was getting too hot. In any case, I have had the radiator re-cored and am adding additional cooling fans to avoid a real overheat in the future. I had a blast driving Retro (to become known as the Brain Bus) up the state.

I suppose I will pipe back in here with updates from time to time over the next few weeks.
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 08-28-2021

Even has the snow sleds included, maybe:
https://worldwideauctioneers.com/lis...IWYBzf4GdUgT18
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-28-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Even has the snow sleds included, maybe:
https://worldwideauctioneers.com/lis...IWYBzf4GdUgT18
Haha I saw this a few days ago. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Good for an rv museum peice...

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 08-28-2021

It takes courage and vision.................
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-28-2021

OMG! Why did I not know about this before? It puts an WL to shame for sure Look at that red tile shower! How do you guys find these things? I think the snow machines might be good to get away so your eyes can recover from the shock.
Old 08-28-2021

Jim has not been on the WOG for a while because he is working very hard on Retro. We should not distract him!

Thank you Jim for all you are doing and rising well above the call of duty.

Jim did find the brake parts from an old MT-40 so that problem may well be solved. That puts my mind a bit more at ease.

On other fronts! I spent an hour with a friend of mine who is professor at the University of Alaska and a brain injury researcher and she is on board with the project and can help us with using the project to train new TBI-trained providers and hopefully, down the road, with grants to continue that as well as do some social science outcome-based research so we can know the extent of the TBI problem in Alaska and what is working to fix it. Amazingly, after all these years we don't even have good numbers on incidence.

I also had my first donation to the GoFundMe which came from a forum member and I have spoken with a few of you who are offering very sage and helpful advice. This forum is an amazing resource!

I also met again with the documentary film makers who are knee deep in making a film about TBI in Alaska and they want to follow along when I pick up Retro and drive north. No pressure there! I did warn them that currently there is only one spare seat.

I do truly feel that the Brain Bus is gong to be the spark we need to change things up here. It is about time! Thank you Jim and the WOG for all your support.
Old 08-28-2021

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37369763612...AAAOSww-VfNAAy
probably cheaper in the long view.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-28-2021

Get serious now, you stick with your dream, your project will derail, reality here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11495253587...kAAOSwgGdhAh3H
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com