Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default 90 SP36 Suburban NT16s et.c.

I've done all the searching and reading, which means I saw about 40% of what I needed to see... and I missed Shane's seminar at PM, so that's on me.

My SP36 has working LP heat in the back (bedroom and bathroom, albeit noisy fan on the latter) but inop on the two fronts. As the sofa is out for upholstery, as they say, now's the time to make it right, particularly as it's cold outside.

Heater under the sofa has no life - with gas valve turned on I get no blower, no light, nothing. I suspect I have input power but I need to check it. Probably a good candidate for replacement unless there's something I'm missing. No evident wasp nests or other blockages in the external ports. Ga detector in the little white box is slightly warm, is this a power cut-off or just an alarm? Suggestions?

Heater under the rear dinette bench is a bit more tricky. Fan comes on, I suspect at the point it goes to light that the breaker trips and it keeps trying to light, repeat breaker trip, et.c. I hear the click in the overhead above the dinette where all of that lives. The gas monitor under the unit (outside of rear dinette bench) has been messed with, screws are out, no lights despite pushing on the red button.

An aside, the chassis heater also lives under the sofa, what should it take to at least get a blower on that as I have nothing? Does it have a low temp cutout? I have not tried it with engine up to temp.

Appreciate any help, I'd like to repair or replace in the next couple weeks so not to have to partially dismantle the freshly redone sofa.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
1990 SP36 75k
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I think for your chassis heat you need your key on. Winter/summer switch set to winter, aux pump needs to be on also. Then make sure your thermostat is calling for heat. Give that a try.
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I did not have the key on, so will try that and see if I get a blower on the chassis heat.
1990 SP36 75k
Old 3 Weeks Ago
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
I did not have the key on, so will try that and see if I get a blower on the chassis heat.
You also have two switches for the blower, HI/LO & ON/OFF two little black rocker switches.

As for your Suburban's. If you have fuel you need to make sure the exhaust tubes are free of debris. insects love to build nest in the outside tubes. With the power on, thermostats calling for heat you should hear the sail switch kicking in, if the sail switch is working but the unit does not ignite you should dismantle and clean the igniter & burner tubes, and set the igniter to proper distance from the burner. Worse case could be your mother board, if so they can be obtained through Dinosaur Boards, I have even found them at camping world and on-line. There are plenty of threads on the forum to guide you along. Biggest obstacle is separating or pulling out the outside exhaust tube, it's just rusted up and at times can be difficult to pull out. The Suburban is a pretty simple & efficient system, almost all failed components can be replaced unless it is the cracked heat exchanger then you may need to replace the unit, good luck. Noisy fans can be helped with a little 3 in 1 oil. Make it an annual event to clean & lube. Sorry you missed Shane's session. Good Luck.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
You also have two switches for the blower, HI/LO & ON/OFF two little black rocker switches.

As for your Suburban's. If you have fuel you need to make sure the exhaust tubes are free of debris. insects love to build nest in the outside tubes. With the power on, thermostats calling for heat you should hear the sail switch kicking in, if the sail switch is working but the unit does not ignite you should dismantle and clean the igniter & burner tubes, and set the igniter to proper distance from the burner. Worse case could be your mother board, if so they can be obtained through Dinosaur Boards, I have even found them at camping world and on-line. There are plenty of threads on the forum to guide you along. Biggest obstacle is separating or pulling out the outside exhaust tube, it's just rusted up and at times can be difficult to pull out. The Suburban is a pretty simple & efficient system, almost all failed components can be replaced unless it is the cracked heat exchanger then you may need to replace the unit, good luck. Noisy fans can be helped with a little 3 in 1 oil. Make it an annual event to clean & lube. Sorry you missed Shane's session. Good Luck.
In re chassis heat, right. I get no blower when these are flipped on/off or hi/lo but I don't know that I ever used them with key on. Will try that.

Thanks for the tips... yes, I was otherwise occupied during much of PM doing various things to the coach and missed the reminder on my phone.

Hope you are well!
C
1990 SP36 75k
Old 3 Weeks Ago

ON the suburbans, look for 12V+ trigger "call for heat" from thermostat(s).

I've sold two heater issues by replacing thermostats. They original type are about $20 on Amazon.

Check for 12V+ and ground constant and also 12V+ from thermostat before assuming it is busted.

Doug
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thermostats are good. Both forward Suburbans have major issues and are being replaced, accessibility is so poor and the new sofa doesn't have to come out over and over if possible.
1990 SP36 75k
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Chip, if you don't mind throwing them in the shed for 11 months, I would love to be able to use them as "test subjects" for next years' "Super Sleuth Suburban Seminar" at WOG.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I will absolutely save them. I will fix the bedroom heater if it ever dies as it's relatively easy to extract by comparison. No wonder it works and the other two do not. One of them has a dead short on the ignitor (I think) and the fan motor is toast on the other. Just disuse and many long cold winters in storage.
1990 SP36 75k
Old 3 Weeks Ago

New Suburbans just arrived from Amazon. Tax and shipping $1k almost flat. Price has gone up $70/unit in the last 24 hours, glad I did it when I did. NT16-SQ is what arrived and is visually identical to NT16-SW in the coach with the obvious exception to the cut out in the casing for the harness et.c. Will compare side by side later today when I extract the under sofa unit. By the way, the original slip fit pipes on the exterior came off without much persuasion which was nice. New intake pipe is plastic which will make this easier in future. So far... very good.
1990 SP36 75k