Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Help! Broken down outside Topica. Overheating 3208

Folks; We're just west of Topica KS on I70. As we were going through town I noticed the temp going up but it was under 180. As we crested this hill the fan came on, the gauge still said 180. I pulled over and shut it off. Lots of antifreeze, can't exactly see where it is coming from, looks like the radiator cap and a hose at the rear of the automatic transmission.

Sitting here on the side of the road letting things cool off.

This trip from Vermont, destination Denver, began to hear a new noise. By this morning I discovered that the fan belt tightener for the fan belt that goes to the air conditioner compressor and back around the fan's pulley was seized up. The fan belt was not tight (could turn the air pulley with engine off) and the air conditioning has never worked so I kept going.

Is there a chance the water pump is on that fan belt too?

Where is the waterpump?

Cat 3208 T 250HP.

Anyone know any repair place in Topica that is good?

Thanks
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Are you getting steam out of the exhaust pipe?
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

There is a cross over hose under the radiator. I would verify the hose has not cracked.
281-546-2445
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Did not see steam or white exhaust.

There is antifreeze all over the front, seems to be from the radiator cap, but no noticeable leak from the hoses in the front.

After it cooled down replaced about 1 Gal of antifreeze. Pulled a U turn to the east bound lane and drove it .5 miles to a truck stop. Temp gage stayed between 160 and 180. No sign of antifreeze once parked. Opened door too radiator cap and there were small streams of antifreeze from the neck of the cap. Radiator 3 years old -- rebuilt. Temp went up to 185 over about 10 minutes idling, shut it off.

Guess there is a truck shop 2 miles away, going to take the jeep over to see what's up there.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone familiar with Topica KS?
clyndes@gmail.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

180 is normal operating temperature.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Glad you didn’t see steam or white out the exhaust. Water pump maybe? Dont know anything about Topika. Good luck.
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Craig, you are just west of TOPEKA KS, along I-70.

https://www.hoytstruckcenter.com/

Try calling Hoyt's Truck Center. They have mobile service too. (866) 365-3131
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:21 PM. Reason: added link to Hoytls Truck Center
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default 3208 Belt Adjustment

https://www.google.com/search?q=finn's+in+belt+adjustment++wanderlodge+ca t+3208&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=S9dNAuo40K49Q M%253A%252CRuzSg136Cl3CyM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kT8AhknSf9RQ3E9GcuezsfMNnDSGQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO1q WF8tneAhUMKK0KHS3NBnkQ9QEwAnoECAQQCA#imgrc=S9dNAuo 40K49QM:&spf=1542404907519

The link above is for belt adjustment on the CAT 3208.

Please call me (573) 465- zero 527 if I can assist (formerly owned a 3208). Or I can put you in touch with Rick S who is and expert on the 3208.

The Water Pump is located just above the harmonic balancer (big pulley on crankshaft) and if the idler pulley is locked up because of bad bearing or just too loose, the water pump will not come up to speed.

Plan on swinging the radiator or pulling it to gain access to the belts and replace the belts with Gates Fleet Runner Belts. If the idler bearings are shot, plan on a new idler from the CAT house...just bite the bullet.

Follow John Finn's procedure for tightening the belts or you will be in there again.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:23 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Lot of good info already. Just some thoughts:

185-195F are normal range temps on the 3208. My fan comes on at 195F.

You have spotted an issue with your belt(s). The idler is a known potential problem...a CAT or other truck dealer can likely get you a replacement assembly or replace the bearing fairly easily. If your already "in there"...replace ALL belts. Keep the good used ones for spares.

The way my coach is set up if the pressure cap releases (due to pressure/temp) coolant is released down a short hose and coolant then covers the front of the engine and back of the radiator. Check the cap and neck...replace cap if questionable. If you find a seam or other small leak on the body of the radiator you may get a decent patch with JB Weld to bare metal.

If you have the swing radiator...you can clean up the engine with a water hose and run the engine with the rad open...easily checking for leaks from the hoses. Don't forget to check the oil cooler little coolant hoses down by the oil filters.

If your AC is non functional. Consider not mounting that drive belt. No use in spinning that component if it is never in actual use. The AC compressor is mounted engine top right as you look at it from front.

The pulley and pump mounted lower right is your power steering pump.

Brake/suspension air compressor is upper left.

Good luck!

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dick and all.

Thank you so much! I will attempt to get it to Hoyts tomorrow. Am OK for the night at this truck stop. Hoyts is closed for the weekend so once I get it there I will start uncovering the radiator. On Monday they will remove it and bring it to a place in Topeca (I get flustered and my bad spelling comes out) that can repair it.

I'm leaning towards loosening the radiator cap so pressure doesn't build up and trying to drive the 23 miles to Hoyts. If it gets hot I'll call coachnet. I've never had the FC towed and think I want to avoid it unless it is necessary.

The tensioner is not on the Alternator, Compressor, water pump pair of fan belts. So I think that might have been a red herring but once the radiator is out I'll get it replaced.

I am still mystified as to what happened to cause the original overheating! We were running all day with the chassis heat on and just before the incident I turned off the front heat, both the fans and the switch that controls the coolant flowing through the heat exchangers for the front. The winter/summer switch was still on winter. It really baffles me that the temperature gauge didn't register over 180, but the fan came on. It definitely got hot, the radiator cap released and I guess there is another overflow that drains behind the transmission. Could there have been an air bubble or some other sort of blockage? Once the radiator is resolved I hope Hoyts can test the cooling system.

Thanks again everyone!
clyndes@gmail.com