Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Smile 1998 LXI Unusual AC120 Volt possible short issue.

Good day everybody on the WOG! Hopefully everybody is enjoying a nice day.

I am stimied with what could have caused this strange issue while I had no electrical known load other than the chargers on when I walked to my bird in the morning to my surprise it was running the generator on auto start, but batteries down to 10 volts but no AC. Also one of my Tace units were saying error.

The 20 amp house breaker that feeds my bird primarily for battery maintenance was blown. I have a Surge Guard hard wired on bird. There are no blown breakers in the bird.
So I took an Ohm meter reading on 1 leg of the load side on the Surge Guard and noticed a 37 ohm reading to neutral or ground. The other side is 0 ohms
So guys any ideas even if far out, the Surge Guard is new it will not pass anything through.
Thanks to all of you for sticking with our complicated great birds! All of us need each other and I for one at 81 after 49 years with birds hope to keep going another decade, before down sizing to a class B.
Have a really nice day and please share som3 wisdom, if you have some.
Gerhard
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Gerhard, I'm sure results will vary, but I have not seen where a 20amp cord works well to power our coaches. I'm guessing some kind of power surge blew the outlet and your power surge protector. At the same time caused the error to your chargers. The auto start did it's job but the chargers were offline so nothing charged. First thing is you need to get the batteries up and the charger working and then see if you have any problems.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 3 Weeks Ago

You can't reliably test a 110 circuit with an ohm meter. They push very low voltage/current and results will be unreliable as a little leakage may show up as a direct short. It's like testing a light bulb with an ohm meter. You can tell if it's good or bad but it will read a direct short. When you put the proper voltage/current to it it will have resistance.
Pretty much anything being "on" without power applied will show a direct short when tested with a low voltage device.

Fist step, remove all power from coach (unplug and battery switches off) Then charge batteries as needed. Reset/Retry.

If ANYTHING came on with the chargers it could blow a 20 amp breaker.
2000 LX40 ME "Angry Bird!"
Body# 129047
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thank you for the suggestions I really appreciated them. This morning I took new readings and I have no shorts showing all, the circuit breakers in the panel are off and I still have the same scenario. This thing is a real puzzlement as I am a fairly good electrician, back ground electronic repair from the 60s.
The issue almost acts like a ground fault before the power ends up in the breaker panel.
Many thanks, have a nice day, better than mine.