Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2022

Default Filters?

Hey guys I want to do some fluid changes before taking my bird the rest of the way to her new home. There was a thread here that listed some part numbers for various filters but I also found an service bulletin for the MT643 which has some sort of “improved” filter? Also my fuel filter has a different number than the one stated in the article. I have been scouring the net and it just gets more and more confusing. I even put my engine numbers in Caterpillar’s database and the only thing that showed up was an air filter!

I want to change engine oil and transmission fluid along with the filters, also fuel filter and water separator if needed, I also saw a part # for a power steering filter? This bus had been sitting for 15 years, I’d like to take care of this stuff before the final leg of her journey. Any help with correct part #s for these components would be appreciated, the last thing I want to do is tear something down and find out I have the wrong part! Oh it is a ‘79 FC-33, 3208NA and I believe Allison MT643 transmission. TIA!
Old 11-12-2022

Head down to your local Cat House with your serial and arrangement number and they will have them
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-12-2022

Thanks, their website wasn’t much help at all with this information.

As far as the transmission goes, I drained it and removed the bolts for the pan, the fill/dipstick tube kept it from dropping to gain access to the filter. Do I have to remove this? There is a bracket from the bellhousing supporting this tube, if I unbolted that would that allow me to drop the pan low enough?

Also, I noticed I do not have a water separator to the right of the fuel filter lije I have seen in some pics, could it be located elsewhere?
Old 11-13-2022

I used Champ/LuberFiner T153 for the internal filter on my Allison MT643. Dipstick tube threads into pan, so that had to come off first before pan came down. I played **** with frozen bolts on the curb side rail. Snapped a few off. Not fun to fix that. Not sure if yours is equipped with an external spin on trans filter. Mine is, Wix 51268.

I have a primary/secondary fuel filter arrangement. Looks like it was a late add in 1984. I have a primary Racor 30 micron w/ heater, WIF sensor, and water separator. Then there's a secondary under the dog house with that hand pump deal. Before 1984-1/2, that the box water separator could be found on a frame rail or cross member some where in the middle of the coach. Fuel filter is likely the same as what mine called for OE, an 8 micron spin on, but be aware Cat updated their part number, superseded to a 2 micron spin on. Try Wix 33352, that's 8 micron.

Oil filters are Wix 51798. Again, all of this is for my '84 FC-33 3208 250 HP Turbo arrangement.
Old 11-13-2022

Thank you for that info, very helpful. I had no problem with the pan bolts but I cannot for the life of me get that dipstick tube to budge!
Old 11-13-2022

Ok no luck finding the water separator, I’m stumped
Old 11-13-2022
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogluvr View Post
Ok no luck finding the water separator, I’m stumped
Just what are you calling a water seperator?
Like a big fuel filter,like a racor with glass bowl on the bottom?
Maybe not on your bus,but some FCs had a racor filter tucked way back in the LPG bay,in a most awkward place,open the lpg bay and look way back past the end of the LPG tank.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-13-2022

Randy,

I was referring to what is shown in this picture, to the right of the fuel filter. If it’s in the LPG bay I’m screwed, for some unknown reason that door won’t open!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BFE7A17-F271-41B8-8F76-9B08212C7F7F.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	83599  
Old 11-13-2022
Forum owner

Ohh,those old glass filters,i have a new one right here on my bench (no idea why).
Hopefully someone pitched that old filter many years ago (from your coach).
If you have one (glass filter) its going to be on the engine,as shown.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-13-2022
Forum owner

That pic was taken of Finns bus before we removed that glass filter and installed a racor style filter in his LPG bay,along with an electric lift pump.

But if you can't get the LPG bay door open just slide under the bus and look up,theres no floor in the LPG bay.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com