Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-14-2022

Angry Aquahot Reverse Water Flow

Some new breaks every day!
Or How I ****** up.
I have no hot water in the BB.
There is heat and the Aqua is operating properly after replacing thermostats and controller.
I worked for 2 days in 35 degree weather tring to get this to work.
I finally called an Aquahot guy and he came out and checked everything out.
The fresh water is flowing the wrong way throught the Aquahot!
Yes we removed the Tempering valve check it and replaced it with just a cap.
The water is still flows the wrong way in and out of the Aquahot.
How the **** that happened I don't know.
1 I Replaced the 2 water pumps.
Could I have mixed the input and output lines up?
Water still flows out the pump and out the taps.
Just no hot water.
2 I replace the Filters and the Accumulaot tank and we have had hot water after that.
Here is a Fresh water diagram of a 95 which should be close to my 96.
It doesn't show the 4 valves, but I assume Suction comes from the tank to the pump{s} and preasure goes to the water system from the pump{S} to the plumping. If I mixed this up how would I get any water at all?

I don't even know where to start looking.
Any ideas of what I ****** up would be helpful

I could fix the by reversing the flow lines to and from the Aquahot, but that doesm't solve the problem. A bandaid on a gunshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221114_124837.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	83653  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 95 WB-42 Water Distribution Functional.pdf (163.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-14-2022

I don't see the pumps being plumbed wrong being the problem. My experience is they either are right and work or wrong and don't. It should be relatively easy to see if the inlet and outlet for the domestic hot water is plumbed right to the unit. I'm having a hard time buying that it's wrong all of the sudden.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...E%20MANUAL.pdf
Double Slide
Old 11-14-2022
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlcanuck View Post
Some new breaks every day!
Or How I ****** up.
I have no hot water in the BB.
There is heat and the Aqua is operating properly after replacing thermostats and controller.
I worked for 2 days in 35 degree weather tring to get this to work.
I finally called an Aquahot guy and he came out and checked everything out.
The fresh water is flowing the wrong way throught the Aquahot!
Yes we removed the Tempering valve check it and replaced it with just a cap.
The water is still flows the wrong way in and out of the Aquahot.
How the **** that happened I don't know.
1 I Replaced the 2 water pumps.
Could I have mixed the input and output lines up?
Water still flows out the pump and out the taps.
Just no hot water.
2 I replace the Filters and the Accumulaot tank and we have had hot water after that.
Here is a Fresh water diagram of a 95 which should be close to my 96.
It doesn't show the 4 valves, but I assume Suction comes from the tank to the pump{s} and preasure goes to the water system from the pump{S} to the plumping. If I mixed this up how would I get any water at all?

I don't even know where to start looking.
Any ideas of what I ****** up would be helpful

I could fix the by reversing the flow lines to and from the Aquahot, but that doesm't solve the problem. A bandaid on a gunshot.
You should be able to eliminate the pumps from the equation by turning the pumps off and feeding the coach with city water.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Old 11-14-2022

If it is reversed, where is the hot water going? Against the flow of the pumps? That makes no sense, since the pumps are what is pushing the water through the aqua hot. Get the tempering valve working. A mixing valve from Zoro or other (Watts LF-70A) is what you need. Just replace the guts. No need to solder in a new one.

Brian Stephens
'97 WB43
Old 11-14-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
I don't see the pumps being plumbed wrong being the problem. My experience is they either are right and work or wrong and don't. It should be relatively easy to see if the inlet and outlet for the domestic hot water is plumbed right to the unit. I'm having a hard time buying that it's wrong all of the sudden.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...E%20MANUAL.pdf
I have the service manual and have gone through it top to bottom.
Ok here is exactally what is happen.
If we (me watching the aquahot guy) unhook to water line in the bottom of the Aquahot tray that has a red out arrow on it. Water pours out of the waterline not the Aquahot. The cold water line should have poured water through the Aqahot and out the red out arrowed pipe. There was nothing. Would there be a stuck Sporlan or tank fill valve maybe?
Old 11-14-2022

If the Aquahot is working and you are getting heat in the coach, take the cover off of the Aquahot and feel the output line coming off of the mixing valve. It should be the one just about under the burner motor (depicted on page 23 of the attached manual with the red arrow). It should be hot. Next feel the fresh water input line next to it (in the same picture with the blue arrow (inbound)) as it should be cold. If it is truly reversed then it should be backwards.
AA3RA
1997 WLWB43 (Current)
1986 PT40 (Sold)
Old 11-14-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45forever View Post
If the Aquahot is working and you are getting heat in the coach, take the cover off of the Aquahot and feel the output line coming off of the mixing valve. It should be the one just about under the burner motor (depicted on page 23 of the attached manual with the red arrow). It should be hot. Next feel the fresh water input line next to it (in the same picture with the blue arrow (inbound)) as it should be cold. If it is truly reversed then it should be backwards.
I cannot upload the manual as it is too big. Send me your email and I will forward it to you.
AA3RA
1997 WLWB43 (Current)
1986 PT40 (Sold)
Old 11-14-2022

Do it the other way. Open the line going IN the aqua hot (cold in). I bet it flows like crazy once open (with the pumps on). Seems to me the cold water supply feeds both the aqua hot and the cold water taps.

Brian Stephens
'97 WB43
Old 11-14-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
You should be able to eliminate the pumps from the equation by turning the pumps off and feeding the coach with city water.
No city water available here in Elkhart IN.
I followed from the tamk supply to Pump B Suction tap line to inpu on Pump B and then from output on Pump B to Pump B preasure tap.
Then it goes from the Preasure tap to the expantion tank and then water filter then out accross the water tank bay to the water panel where You select the tank fill switch (the sporlan is way back over by the expansion tank & filters) city connection is also over where the line comes to this side of the coach.

Could it be a stuck or bad Sporlan or city water fill?
What stops the cirt water fill from back feeding into the tanks?
Old 11-14-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
If it is reversed, where is the hot water going? Against the flow of the pumps? That makes no sense, since the pumps are what is pushing the water through the aqua hot. Get the tempering valve working. A mixing valve from Zoro or other (Watts LF-70A) is what you need. Just replace the guts. No need to solder in a new one.
We removed the Tempering valve guts and installed just the casp. So no tempering. We then disconnected the water line the comes out of the Aquahot. The water still flows out of the line that goes to the hot side of the Aquahot, Not through the cold side water line and out the Aquahot pipe.

Something is screwing up the water flow before it get to the Aquahot unit.