Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 03-27-2019

Default Driving the Pacific Coast Highway

I would like to drive the length of the Pacific Coast from San Diego up to Vancouver in my FC35. Has anyone done this drive and have any recommendations or suggestions or comments.
Old 03-27-2019

I've done Olympic Peninsula to San Francisco on my Gold Wing. San Diego to San Francisco in autos and truck/5th wheel. San Simeon to Monterey is the curviest, but it is all doable if not in a hurry! Unless there are closures due to landslides.
Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I would like to drive the length of the Pacific Coast from San Diego up to Vancouver in my FC35. Has anyone done this drive and have any recommendations or suggestions or comments.

If you have a goosey passenger, best to go South to North, keeps the passenger off the cliffs and you on the mountain side not t he ocean side. Otherwise go for it, beautiful drive, but very slow because of all the beach towns and curves. Plus there is tons to see, don' rush. Could easily take a month or two or probably more.
San Marcos, CA

Old 03-27-2019

I would recommend north to south, that way the view pull outs are not across traffic.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 03-28-2019

I've done it too. But not in the Bird but an SOB and on a Harley. I thought it was a great drive. Like others have said, take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-28-2019

I have done it with a 34 foot SOB narrow body coach with toad. In that coach, I drove North from San Simeon. I agree San Simeon to Monterey is the tightest and curviest portion of that drive. I think North to South is the easier/smarter way to go from Monterey to San Simeon if your passenger can take the drop off look on their side. Turnouts are much easier to access and you can stay away from some close rocks on the north bound lane. I do have one recommendation as far as time to do it. It takes about 2.5 hours by car of driving not including view stops etc. By bus figure longer. I left at about 7AM on a week day to minimize local traffic and that seemed to help. It is a beautiful drive with many things to stop and see. Things like the Elephant Seal rookery just north of San Simeon and of course Hearst Castile and so on.

https://www.adventuresofacarryon.com...nia-road-trip/
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-28-2019

Default Pacific Coast Highway

We have been in both directions on "1" with our FC 35 towing our toad. We have gone from just North of the Columbia River staying on 101 and "1" in California the whole way to Los Angeles. You have to get on 101 in a couple of places but "1" is possible and a great slower trip. You have to check for the condition of "1' in the Big Sur area they may still have landslide problems. Special parts are San Luis Obispo to San Francisco, you can cross on the Golden Gate, interesting drive thru San Francisco with the FC towing but doable, then get back to "1" just North of Sausalito all the way to Leggett where you go back to 101. Not ready to try it in the 42.

Great trip.
Old 03-30-2019

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and great suggestions. We will probably shoot for the North to South run for all the reasons given. I’ll try and post pics and update this thread when we get under way. Just have to wait for summer break.
Old 03-30-2019

let me know when you are in the Monterey area, I can show you around some of the local attractions.
Old 03-31-2019
Geek

I've done 101 from Eureka north for the next 500 miles many times both ways, no significant problems. I haven't been around the Olympic Peninsula in a coach, cutting in to Olympia at the north end of the trip.

For Highway 1, which ends (permanently) at Leggett, 90 miles south of Eureka, I've only done the northernmost 40+ miles, Leggett to Ft Bragg. The 15 miles from Leggett down to the coast is, bar none, the toughest road I've ever taken a bus on, and I have a couple of hundred thousand miles total. Never again. We came back out to 101 from Ft Bragg to Willits, which is a piece of cake.

I've driven all of 1 a handful of times in a car, and it is a trip worth taking, at least that way.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1