Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 09-23-2018

Like Randy D., I like a really straight steering wheel and a lot of "bite" on the road which is about as much max caster as the vehicle will stand without affecting camber or other factors overly. By increasing caster, camber and toe will also change so you have to go back and forth a bit to get it right. Excessive toe or camber (one way or the other) will increase uneven tire wear. I was having this discussion with Jeff K. last weekend over a beer. A precision alignment is on my wants list with George M. if he thinks that his tire guys can do it better than it is on my 90 SP; right now it wants to track the right rut hard and not as much the left, leading me to think that there is some camber/caster off if not toe, though probably not enough to wear the new Michelin steers for quite a while. Of course suspension heights all have to be as dialed in as they can be and that is all the way around as well as rear height is super critical on front height. I see what Randy S. is saying as well and he is of course correct, steering wheel dead straight and center should be the center of the 'box for correct t/s cancelling and the right feel, though there is likely more than enough within the 'box to keep there from being uneven turn left vs right vis a vis the steering stops in the geometry of the front end.

Caveat - I slept through the big truck instruction in my Bear Alignment class 20+ years ago but have aligned enough pre WW2 cars to have caught back up over time!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
1990 SP36 75k
Old 09-23-2018

Different spokes for different folks!

Carmine Pacchino
Ft Myers Beach, FL
'83 PT35
Old 09-23-2018

Just finished with steering wheel alignmentd less than an hour ago. The splines are not keyed for one way and do not effect turn turn signal cancel.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-23-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdancin View Post
Different spokes for different folks!
Hah!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.