Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Charge Air Cooler

I'm wondering how hot the air gets that goes through my CAC on my 3208 Cat during a hard pull? Any idea's of the temp swing? Thanks. Brian
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 1 Week Ago

Alright, I'll expand the question. How hot does the air get going thru ANY CAC? I'm thinking of running an dedicated electric fan on the CAC. Just want to get an idea of temps. Thanks
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 1 Week Ago

There is a pyrometer gauge in a lot of rigs. In mine when I first got the coach ti could hit 1400 on hard pulls I would back off and shift down and it would drop guickly. After I had it recored at Radiator Supply House along with the radiator it seldom hits 1100 now.. I also just recieved the new composite 29" replacement fan with the extra blade and will be adding that soon.
If you do not have a Pyrometer it could be added fairly simply.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 1 Week Ago

Using a calculator I found on the web and some typical values (100F intake air, 25 psig boost, 14.7 psia ambient air pressure, compressor efficiency of 70%) I got a value of 360 degrees F, a pressure ratio of 2.7:1 and a density ration (what we really want) of 1.84:1. A charge air cooler will increase the density ratio at a given pressure.

These number seem reasonable as I did hand calculations many years ago for a similar problem and many, many years ago in an aeronautical engineering course and came up with similar values.

reference calculator: <http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm>

Biobug, I think he was referring to the outlet of the compressor side of the turbocharger, not the exhaust gas temperature exiting the turbine. That gas goes up the exhaust stack; the compressed air goes through the CAC to the intake manifold.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022

Last edited by mahansm; 1 Week Ago at 10:29 AM. Reason: add response to Biobug
Old 1 Week Ago

After a quick web search, the only place I saw temps were on a Audi Tech Portal. 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 1 Week Ago

Perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Brian
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.