Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

How to properly tow your 'Bird Here you will find some opinions on what some of our members did when they had to have their 'Bird towed by a wrecker service.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2010

Default Our towing adventure

We were coming back from a wonderful trip to Disney with the family. Heading up I-75 around 10 in the am I just wanted to stand up and move around for a minute so just south of Gainsville I pulled into the rest stop, shut the engine down and walked into the rest stop bathroom and then back to the coach. As I was approaching the coach I noticed fluid under the back end. After walking over to it the green color and sweet smell hit me immediatly. I quickly got under the coach and saw anitfreeze draining out of the forward lower area near the radiator. I could not see an obvious loss hose or where it was leaking from. Soon the entire system was empty of fluid. Well I knew we were stuck. So I tell the family (4 kids including a 6 week old) we are not going to be moving, and called coach net. They sent out a tow within about an hour. Hughe semi tow truck. During this time Angela called around and found Hertz had a vehicel that we all could fit in and they would come and delievery it to us at the rest stop and we could return it back in chattanooga. They were great (but now we are going to get the van hooked up to tow as a life raft). So the tow truck from university towing did a great job getting the coach set. He got the stinger set nice and chained down. He took the drive train apart and was cautious about storing it in with old towels to protect the bay. The air hook up was a little hard. All we could find was the scharder valve in the back which he could not get off, and a hookup in the driver side 3rd compartment (which he did not want to use secondary to having to leave the compartment open). He ended up rigging a connection directly into the air lines just past the rear schrader valve. Worked great. Well he pulled us over to the detroit desiel place in Ocala and there it sits. At least there is another bird there to help keep mine company (a grey 91).
Hertz and the tow truck guy were great.
My question is does anyone know if there is a easier place to hook the air up to when the coach is being towed?
And now I know why so many people have toads, not to get around while camping but to escape if needed.
Old 11-17-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Jody,

Please post your cel phone number, there may be someone close by to where you are at that may be able to help.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-17-2010
Forum owner

Jody,I'm 40 miles away,i know right where you are and I know the guys at DD.
I also know the owner of U.T..

You may have a simple water leak,don't run off just yet!
352 538 3435

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-17-2010

I appreciate the offers of help. We have made it back to chattanooga last night in the rental because Ang and I had to be at work first thing and the kids had school so there was no way to stay in the area.
Randy if you talk to the owner of UT towing please tell his guy was great and worked hard to take care of the bus.

Any idea where I should tell the DD guys to start looking?
I might be giving you a call if they get stumped.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2010
Forum owner

The guys down at Fl. Detroit will not need my help,they are pretty good!
I'll tell Rick his man did a good job,they just hauled my burned 95 to Ga for me a few months ago.
But,if you need me to run down there I will,no problem!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com