Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

How to properly tow your 'Bird Here you will find some opinions on what some of our members did when they had to have their 'Bird towed by a wrecker service.

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2009

why
Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
I've seen a BB Wanderlodge welded to a Big Rig front end before, but never one as a "tow-behind". I've always thought that a short FC melded with an old Mack Thermodyne cab would be the coolest RV ever.
Shane, I think you may have hit on the perfect sport chassis set up. 15 speed tri plex powered by a 237 maxedine would be way cool. Of course it would be best if you used a intergrated sleeper cab. I know where one is that I drove back in the day.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-16-2009

The tongue weight of the Wagon isn't the hard part, believe it or not, it is just so **** heavy in general. To answer the question, I figured the Donut Wagon weighs about 15K empty, tri-axles kept the tongue weight down. That's about 25' of FC body. Maybe Jason ran it over a scale on the way home.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-16-2009
Timberlake Products Group

15K, good golly! Actually I thought the BB trailer (donut type wagon) would be a good match for looks but after seeing it I did not care for it. Sorta looks like a gypsy wagon.

Sorry to whoever owns it but I think after going back and looking at it behind the FC, it would look better to me without all the windows down the sides...

There is hope!

An FC couldn't pull it legally either at 15K could it?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 12-17-2009

Jason's got it and is pulling it with a SP36. From what I remember, it pulled just fine. And behind his SP it's just unusual enough to be pretty cool.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-18-2009

Default Time to speak up!

Hey guys,

I've been lurking from the shadows! When I bought the donut wagon from Crit, he strongly discouraged me from pulling it home with my one-ton Ford. He also was just trying to convince me to get brave enough to get my Wanderlodge out and about.
I had no trouble pulling the trailer home with my SP. In fact, I still averaged betweeen 6.5-7.5 mpg with the donut wagon and generator going. I never could really tell it was there.
I love the donut wagon though. You can't imagine the amount of people that stopped to talk with us on the way home about how neat the trailer was.... or "is that one of those Blue Birds?" My favorite was when we stopped at an ACE Hardware in MA. I noticed this car circle around, and eventually the guy stopped to talk... His wife and himself shared with me that they had enjoyed coffee and donuts from the Donut Wagon years ago. I told them about the forum, but I don't believe I have seen them on yet.
Blue Bird did a good job of building the donut wagon, but I could see someone doing pretty much the same thing with an old school bus body. I think it could be done fairly easily, keeping the weight to a minimum. I am using the donut wagon for some of our concession equipment, but I've thought about how nice it would be with my large family to have a bunk house in tow!
I'll let you guys know when I try to pull it with my 1 ton pickup.... it's a Ford, it can do anything! (I figure that will get the rebel rousing going!)

Jason Warner
Yukon, Oklahoma
1990 SP36
Old 12-18-2009

80 Per cent of all fords are on the road today the other 20 per cent made it home safely

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 12-18-2009
Timberlake Products Group

I pondered making a donut wagon shaped trailer myself. The wagon does look good with the triple axles. I always wondered how the rounded roof would look behind the same FC style roof, now I know! If I were to do one though, I would not have the side windows. I think that is what gives it the "gypsy" type look (no offense!). I think a flip up and open wall would be cool too. Sorta like a newer concession trailer. Have fun!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true

Last edited by Turbokitty; 12-21-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2009
Forum owner

the bus that pulled the donut wagon had flip up sides,like a nascar souvenir trailer.
The windows in the donut wagon were needed,frying 12,000 donuts a night created some serious heat!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-18-2009
davidmbrady

This is the first time I saw pics of the donut wagon. That thing is way cool; I really like it. It would be even better with a slideout as a mother-in-law suite.