Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2013

Question trany dipstick lenght

Hello All;
Got the front of my PT36 finally painted.

Question.
The dipstick on my 5 speed Allison (1985) was modified by the previous owner.
I am unable to tell when I have the right amount of fluid in the trany.
Can any one tell me the correct lenght of the dipstick for a 85 PT36 allison trany connected to a 6v92?

If I drain the trany and replace the trany fluid, the blue book says 17.5 qts. + 1 for the filter.
Does this amount include what is in the cooler in front of the radiator or just whats in the trany itself?

I have seen on another post that there is a 1/8" port to check for fluid levels in an Allison trany. Is there anyone that could tell me where I might look for that port. Would it be on the trany body or the pan?

Fixing to take a trip soon and it's the last mechanical thing I need to resolve (sofar) I think. Ops, now I know I'll pay for that.
1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4
Old 08-09-2013

Jeff, if you don't get an answer by Monday when I get back home I will measure mine.
But I'm curious; what is it about your's that reveals it was modified by the PO?
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 08-09-2013
Campground Owner

Hi Jeff

Mine has a 1/8 NPT plug in the pan, near where the dipstick enters, about 2" below the AL housing. You have to test the level while the engine is running. Please be careful.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 08-09-2013

Talking dipstick

Hey Rick
Thanks for the reply
The PO said that it had been modified and that the correct level was 1/4" above the hot mark. However I cannot tell if that is when it is cold or hot. There definitely seems to be to much trany fluid, but unsure.
I'll check out the 1/8" plug.
Look forward to your measurement. I'm planing a trip to s.c. this coming friday.
Thanks all for the info/ comments.
LOVE OLD SCHOOL
1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4
Old 08-09-2013

They can read way high after sitting - check when warm & running - much more accurate
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 08-09-2013
Campground Owner

My dipstick works for !@#$. It get oil up the tube, and then I never get a good reading.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 08-09-2013

Talking DIPSTICK NUTS

kc/jon
thanks, hows the music kc?
found 1/8" plugs on driver side of trany/ one to the rear of the dipstick tube and just above the pan (on the main trany casing) and another just above the trany pan and forward of the dipstick all the way to the front of the main trany housing. Not sure which one is correct?
I have been talking to N.Fl. Western Star Allison tecks. They (Greg, John, Scott) have been great in trying to help with the problem. Gong to drop the pan (by the way my PT36 6v93/ mtb654-cr5 has a 5 1/4' pan, which is the deep pan for that model of trany) and change out the interanl filter and replace the fluid with transynd ( 5 gallons). this should be interesting to say the least.
However there still is the question of the proper amount of fluid, which Scott (old school tech) at N.Fl. Western Star is going to send me info on the proper length of the dipstick (I hope). Being Friday, I 'm sure things won't happen till Monday at the earliest.
If there is anyone out there that has a dipstick measurement for a MTB654-cr in a 1985 PT36 CONNECTED TO A 6v92 that would be great.
At any rate,
thanks to all and please send me any thoughts you may have.
LOVE OLD SCHOOL
See Ya at Pine Mountain in Oct.
1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4
Old 08-09-2013

Jeff:

I don't know if this will help but your may find it of interest.

According to my Allison Repair Manual for the 5.1" deep transmission pan, the top of the HOT RUN band on the dipstick is .75" below the "transmission oil pan splitline", the bottom of the HOT RUN is 1.5" and the REF FILL band is between 2.22" and 2.55".

Deep in the records of my coach I had a service report, "trans oil dipstick rusted through --Trans dipstick broke off".

Since I think they may have replaced the tube as my tube is now copper so where did the rust come from.

I wondered if they did the measurements correctly.

So, the last I changed the oil and filters, I transferred the pan flange location over to the dipstick tube, and then marked the bottom of the dipstick location on the tube. In my case 2.75" lower. Inserted the dipstick into the tube and located the bottom of the dipstick and then compared it with the measured distance. In my case it measured 3/8" high so I removed this amount from the top of the dipstick tube at the rear of the coach. I did not want to compress the spring at the top of the dipstick for fear of it breaking.

Let us know how things work out for you.

len.mcleod@gmail.com

Last edited by LDM680; 08-09-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2013

Smile dipstick calibration

Thanks Len

Will study your post and see if I can tranfer your thoughs and measurements to my trany when I drop the pan

Thanks!
1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4
Old 08-12-2013

Smile dipstick nuts

Rick
Look forward to your dipstick measurement, will drop pan tuesday

Jon
No 1/8" plug on my 85 mtb654 deep pan. Thanks though!!!

Len
do you remeber how you determined the distance of the dipstick inside the trany tube? Not sure how to obtain that measurement, but then I can be dense when It is actually simple.
Did the measurement transfer as you described. Scott at North Star Allison in jacksonville sent me a diagram of the dipstick measurements. It must be the same as from your repair manual.
Go internal filter/ transynd, and spin on today. Will take her out and run her to get the trany warmed up before I drop the pan.

Thanks All!!!
1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4