Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 03-28-2015
Tom Blackwell

Default 3208 stuck injectors

As many of you know, I have been fighting a stuck injector issue since last Year when we had a failure that left us on the side of the road. At that Time I replaced all 8 injectors and drove it home. Since then, it seems every time I run it there are more problems. We have cleaned the tank, replaced the dip tube, replaced the lift pump, replaced the return fitting on the injection pump, and replaced 4 of the 8 new injectors. Still having problems. Today I pulled the top off of the injection pump and found it full of aluminum filings-non magnetic. No wonder it is causing injectors to fail. I tried to get the filings to show up in a picture, but no joy. We will remove the injection pump and take it to the shop that previously rebuilt it, along with the 12 injectors.
Funny how one can get sidetracked with an issue when the cause is something completely different-we were chasing aerated fuel. Thanks for all of the advice over the last year.
Old 03-28-2015
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtom24 View Post
As many of you know, I have been fighting a stuck injector issue since last Year when we had a failure that left us on the side of the road. At that Time I replaced all 8 injectors and drove it home. Since then, it seems every time I run it there are more problems. We have cleaned the tank, replaced the dip tube, replaced the lift pump, replaced the return fitting on the injection pump, and replaced 4 of the 8 new injectors. Still having problems. Today I pulled the top off of the injection pump and found it full of aluminum filings-non magnetic. No wonder it is causing injectors to fail. I tried to get the filings to show up in a picture, but no joy. We will remove the injection pump and take it to the shop that previously rebuilt it, along with the 12 injectors.
Funny how one can get sidetracked with an issue when the cause is something completely different-we were chasing aerated fuel. Thanks for all of the advice over the last year.
Keep us advised on what they find.
what parts in the injector pump are aluminum?
the pistons?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-28-2015
Tom Blackwell

My guess is that some part of the governor has come apart and is chewing up the housing. Hope to get it to them some time next week.
Old 03-28-2015

That's what i was thinking , something chewing up the housing.

This ultra low sulfer diesel is hard on the injector pumps, poor lubrication.
(3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021)
Mooringsport, Louisiana
318-553-4186
1994 BMC "sold"
1993 Barth Breakaway
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ham KE5WCW GMRS WRWC683
Old 03-28-2015

you may have to ask that shop? what is it they don't understand about their job. You need to blow out the lines AND the pass through the head connectors. Verify the pass thrus pass air, both ways.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

PM: mhohnstein@wi.rr.com
414 303 7079
Old 03-29-2015

Default 3208 fuel system

Hi: Having worked on 3208's a fair bit I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

The fuel transfere pump is a small gear pump on the front or the inj. pump, and it is after the filter, so a failing pump will contaminate the pump with aluminium. And it could easily suck air while failing.
The rear aluminium housing only houses linkages, so is unlikely to cause contamination, and it is filled with pressurized fuel, so would not cause air in the fuel.

And a hint, if you are removing the pump yourself, remember to time the engine first, to ease reinstalation of the pump.
Old 04-23-2015
Tom Blackwell

Update: Talked to R & S Diesel today-the metal filings are both cam material and aluminum from the transfer pump. Thought is that it stuck an injector closed and the extreme pressure trashed the cam and roller. The worst is the front lobe which explains the localized injector failure on that cylinder. They will replace the cam and bad rollers along with the cam support bushings. They are also working on the injectors to clean them out. No clue what caused the initial failure-I don't believe the 6 micron final filter would have let enough crud through to cause this, but fine silt can be in the 1 micron range and is very abrasive. Hopefully with the tank cleaning we have removed enough bad stuff to have a reasonable service life for the injection components. You know what they say "third time is a charm"...
Old 04-23-2015
Forum owner

Good to hear the results,at least you know what happened.
Hope they help you out,good guys down there in Albany.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-23-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtom24 View Post
Update: Talked to R & S Diesel today-the metal filings are both cam material and aluminum from the transfer pump. Thought is that it stuck an injector closed and the extreme pressure trashed the cam and roller. The worst is the front lobe which explains the localized injector failure on that cylinder. They will replace the cam and bad rollers along with the cam support bushings. They are also working on the injectors to clean them out. No clue what caused the initial failure-I don't believe the 6 micron final filter would have let enough crud through to cause this, but fine silt can be in the 1 micron range and is very abrasive. Hopefully with the tank cleaning we have removed enough bad stuff to have a reasonable service life for the injection components. You know what they say "third time is a charm"...
Tom I think that final CAT filter should be 2 microns
Old 04-23-2015
Tom Blackwell

There are 2 numbers listed for the final filter, which corresponds with a 6 and 2 micron filter. When we received the coach it had a 6 micron installed and a supply of 6 micron spares. Now it has a 2 micron final filter, new dip tube, new lift pump, new check valve for the generator and soon to have a newly rebuilt injection pump and injectors. New fuel pressure gauge also, downstream from the final filter-the "Racor" gauge was previously in front of the final filter. Man, I sure hope this try is successful, I would like to keep my wife of 39 years...