Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-07-2022

Question Another AquaHot/Hot water question

Ok, My AquaHot seems to take care of the heat. The hot water in the shower though is not consistent. I thought the boiler would create constant hot water. Is this not true? I am new to AquaHot so, I am more or less probably doing something wrong. Hahaha. I quess I am wondering why when taking a shower the water temp does not stay consistent. Any ideas?

Also, there is a breaker in my power panel box labeled "Water Heater". Is there also a HWH in the coach or is there an electric water as part of the AquaHot? Confused but, I will learn.
AA3RA
1997 WLWB43 (Current)
1986 PT40 (Sold)
Old 02-07-2022

For ours, the "water heater" is the electric element in the aquahot. So you can run diesel for hot water or electric if you are plugged in to shore power.
The water from the electric element is not as hot or as quick to recover as the diesel burner so keep that in mind.
If the water is hotter at the sink than the shower, it might be the mixing valve in the shower giving you trouble.
Old 02-07-2022

If you have confirmed the shower valve cartridge isn't somewhat clogged and causing you problems then you may need to change the mixing valve on the AH. That was my issue when I had hot water problems in my shower. It is way easier to replace just the guts of the mixing valve instead of trying to remove the old one and replacing the whole thing. Many of us have had to do it. one of the easier fixes.

The breaker in the 120vac load center is for the electric element in the AH. The electric element provides more than enough hot water for me and the wife when we travel. The electric element alone cannot keep up with heating the coach though.

David & Nicole Stokes and Myla
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'00 LXi 43' SS
'89 WB 40'
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

229-834-8677
Old 02-07-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
If you have confirmed the shower valve cartridge isn't somewhat clogged and causing you problems then you may need to change the mixing valve on the AH. That was my issue when I had hot water problems in my shower. It is way easier to replace just the guts of the mixing valve instead of trying to remove the old one and replacing the whole thing. Many of us have had to do it. one of the easier fixes.

The breaker in the 120vac load center is for the electric element in the AH. The electric element provides more than enough hot water for me and the wife when we travel. The electric element alone cannot keep up with heating the coach though.

So, if you are hooked up to 50A power then you can get hot water from the element without burning the diesel boiler. If not you run the AquaHot for both heat and hot water and no need to have the heater element powered up in the power panel. Am I correct in my thinking?

Do you have documentation or know where I can get some for the mixing valve in the AH? I do not think that I have anything showing where that is.
AA3RA
1997 WLWB43 (Current)
1986 PT40 (Sold)
Old 02-07-2022
AKA Tent Boy

Rich,
Here is a link to all the AH manuals; Aquahot manuals

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'01 2830 Safari Trek, SOB
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida' Totaled by Battery Fire
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 02-07-2022

Do a google search for a Watts LF70a tempering valve if you want to replace your mixing valve. Just remove the guts from each and replace with the new. You will find Zoro or such places will sell that valve much cheaper than an aqua hot parts place.

Another thing you need to know, even using the diesel burner, the water will only be raised about 55 degrees. So if your incoming water is really cold, you may have trouble maintaining a decent temperature for the shower.

And I always use the electric element, in conjunction with the diesel burner, unless you think diesel is cheaper than electricity. I don't.

Brian Stephens
'97 WB43
Old 02-07-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45forever View Post
So, if you are hooked up to 50A power then you can get hot water from the element without burning the diesel boiler. If not you run the AquaHot for both heat and hot water and no need to have the heater element powered up in the power panel. Am I correct in my thinking?

I never turn my electric element off. Why should I? When my coach was in storage and my only power source was a 15amp cord to keep my batteries topped off, I had hot water. It was great to have hot water at the tap to clean up with when I was there piddling around fixing stuff. Some on here will tell you that the electric element doesn't get the water hot. Mine does and provides me with plenty of hot water for showers, however, there is a recovery time. the electric element is not for "on demand" hot water. Thats what the diesel burner is for.

Do you have documentation or know where I can get some for the mixing valve in the AH? I do not think that I have anything showing where that is.

Others have posted a link to the AH online library above. You'll find an owners manual, service manual and parts manuals there.
Forgot to mention, Your model is 431/12

David & Nicole Stokes and Myla
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'00 LXi 43' SS
'89 WB 40'
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

229-834-8677
Old 02-07-2022

They sell a repair kit on Amazon. Might save a few bucks.
Dan
2000 LXi 43 2S - Sold
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
2002 Silverado Z71
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 02-07-2022

A few thoughts, assuming the mixing valve is flowing properly, I set mine to allow hotter water, real hot, to the sink or shower valve. Then I have to mix in more cold at the facet valve. This slows the flow of hot water and allows the cold water more time in the A/H loop that makes the water hot. Some people always use the water in there tank, some use the water in the hose, if it’s real cold all that hose water has to pass through, this causes a significant change in the water temp coming out of the shower. Also if you are on electric element and you are at the bottom of the thermostat, say 185 deg, range the water won’t come out as hot as when the element has taken it to the high temp shut off point, say 200 deg. If you turn on the heat for very long at all the temp in the A/H will fall fast and the electric element take a while to catch up. All the conditions support the idea of having the hot water at the fixture as hot as possible. This may not be safe for little ones!
Old 02-08-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Gregg View Post
A few thoughts, assuming the mixing valve is flowing properly, I set mine to allow hotter water, real hot, to the sink or shower valve. Then I have to mix in more cold at the facet valve. This slows the flow of hot water and allows the cold water more time in the A/H loop that makes the water hot. Some people always use the water in there tank, some use the water in the hose, if it’s real cold all that hose water has to pass through, this causes a significant change in the water temp coming out of the shower. Also if you are on electric element and you are at the bottom of the thermostat, say 185 deg, range the water won’t come out as hot as when the element has taken it to the high temp shut off point, say 200 deg. If you turn on the heat for very long at all the temp in the A/H will fall fast and the electric element take a while to catch up. All the conditions support the idea of having the hot water at the fixture as hot as possible. This may not be safe for little ones!

Good information. Thank you.

P.S. I do not have little ones so, I am safe.
AA3RA
1997 WLWB43 (Current)
1986 PT40 (Sold)