Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

How to properly tow your 'Bird Here you will find some opinions on what some of our members did when they had to have their 'Bird towed by a wrecker service.

Site Search:

Old 07-21-2022

Default LX40 Landoll Tow

Being a HS Teacher, Summer is when you get all the projects done that you may not get done throughout the school year. I had searched and found a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition. It has the 4.0 Engine and the 242 Transfer Case. I was told this was a good combination to find to flat tow. Thank you again, Mallie L.

I had just left from getting my wiring squared away on the Jeep. I fervently checked as the Jeep trailed behind. Talk about being excited. Heck, in my mind, I was doing it, and hadn't been 1/4 mile! Seeing smoke in the mirrors and rear camera, I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off.

A hydraulic hose to the fan motor on the Bird had ruptured. Full disclosure here... less than 175 miles ago, I was told to add replacing my fan motor hoses on my to do list. Further lesson here... when Randy S. speaks, listen. I did have it lined up for replacement, but time was not on my side.

I have met the enemy... it is me! (The Wizard of ID)

I called Coach-Net at 3:17PM. Reading the Forum constantly, I knew to avoid conventional tow trucks, even the big ones due to possible generator and front end damage, etc... I was explicit in describing my Bird and my request of a Landoll to transport the 15 miles to the repair facility. The Coach-Net representative assured me (not lying, wife overheard the conversation) he was aware of the need for a Landoll considering my vehicle. While waiting on Coach-Net's dispatcher, I reached out Randy D. to verify I was doing things correctly. I did follow his suggestion of trying for Mobile Service to remedy the hose. Of the three I called, the one who responded left without billing me since he was unsuccessful in his attempt.

At 5:52PM the wrong tow arrived. The clock kept ticking. When I called to give Randy D. an update he told me "good job," by not accepting the first tow vehicle. Small consolation at the time, but I would gladly accept any pat on the back at this point. "After seventeen (17) calls between Coach-Net and me, the correct Landoll arrived at 10:45PM.

Hats off to the Landoll crew, to the point I told them their name needed to be changed to "Care and Diligence Towing." The Bird arrived literally unscathed at the repair facility, which of course the whole point of towing it correctly.

Pictures are as follows, but begs me to ask if I don't post pictures did it happen?

1. Big incorrect truck
2. Urban Camping
3. Landoll
4. Generator Cover Removed
5. Loading the Bird
6. Front boards used to prevent drag
7. Rear boards used to prevent drag
8. Loaded to Go

I attempted to post the pictures right-side up by rotating the pictures and reloading. It did not correct the issue.

Timothy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Big incorrect truck.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	81913   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Urban Camping.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	81914   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Landoll.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	81915   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Generator Cover Removed.jpg
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	81916   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-Loading the Bird.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	81917   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Front boards placed.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	81918   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-Rear boards placed.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	81919   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-Loaded to Go.jpg
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	81920  
2004 WJ Columbia Edition (Blue OX/M&G)
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net
Old 07-21-2022

Glad you got it towed correctly, and good for you for sticking to your guns! That's hard to do when you are sitting on the side of the road!

Name:	1-Big incorrect truck.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	81935

Name:	2-Urban Camping.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	81936

Name:	3-Landoll.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	81937

Name:	4-Generator Cover Removed.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	81938

Name:	5-Loading the Bird.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	81939

Name:	6-Front boards placed.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	81940

Name:	7-Rear boards placed.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	81941

Jeff LoGiudice
Jeff@GinosGarageUSA.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
1998 Newell 2000 Coach #490
12.7L Series 60 & HD4060
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 07-21-2022

Nice job Tim....So which hose is it?
Brooks, GA
...my buddy Cody
678-523-7920
Old 07-21-2022

Tim,
Glad everything worked out. You handled it like a pro.
1989 WB “Pasture Prime” 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Old 07-21-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Glad you got it towed correctly, and good for you for sticking to your guns! That's hard to do when you are sitting on the side of the road!

Attachment 81935

Attachment 81936

Attachment 81937

Attachment 81938

Attachment 81939

Attachment 81940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckip View Post
Nice job Tim....So which hose is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Tim,
Glad everything worked out. You handled it like a pro.

Jeff / Kip / Al...

Thanks Guys. The wait was a bit brutal. I felt like I had taken a trip on the S.S. Minnow. I really did not feel I had a choice but to be insistent on the Landoll. I have a habit of trying to tell the truth so I find I have to monitor myself. The funny thing is, and this may sound silly, but I felt it was my responsibility to do it right so as not to let myself or others down.

Jeff, thank you for rotating the pictures. I attached them directly from my laptop. (????)

Kip, I do not know the hoses specifically well enough to tell you which one. My intent is to replace all of them with Teflon hoses. It is my understanding they have a higher heat tolerance.

Al, "Like a Pro" ... OK, we'll let that be the Official Version. I did have my moments. I always try to keep things in perspective. Remember, Mike Tyson didn't lose his heavyweight crown because he got knocked down, he lost it because he didn't get back up.

Timothy
2004 WJ Columbia Edition (Blue OX/M&G)
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net
Old 07-21-2022

Sorry you had to go through all of this Timothy. I'm going to knock on wood and say I haven't had the pleasure of being towed yet I imagine my time will come some day. I have had a flat and called a service truck for that. So I'm not exactly a virgin. I will be looking at my hydraulic hoses and assessing what needs to be done with them if anything.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-21-2022
Administrator

Good job Tim, hard to not panic, handled well,
Old 07-21-2022
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdevane View Post
Being a HS Teacher, Summer is when you get all the projects done that you may not get done throughout the school year. I had searched and found a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition. It has the 4.0 Engine and the 242 Transfer Case. I was told this was a good combination to find to flat tow. Thank you again, Mallie L.

I had just left from getting my wiring squared away on the Jeep. I fervently checked as the Jeep trailed behind. Talk about being excited. Heck, in my mind, I was doing it, and hadn't been 1/4 mile! Seeing smoke in the mirrors and rear camera, I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off.

A hydraulic hose to the fan motor on the Bird had ruptured. Full disclosure here... less than 175 miles ago, I was told to add replacing my fan motor hoses on my to do list. Further lesson here... when Randy S. speaks, listen. I did have it lined up for replacement, but time was not on my side.

I have met the enemy... it is me! (The Wizard of ID)

I called Coach-Net at 3:17PM. Reading the Forum constantly, I knew to avoid conventional tow trucks, even the big ones due to possible generator and front end damage, etc... I was explicit in describing my Bird and my request of a Landoll to transport the 15 miles to the repair facility. The Coach-Net representative assured me (not lying, wife overheard the conversation) he was aware of the need for a Landoll considering my vehicle. While waiting on Coach-Net's dispatcher, I reached out Randy D. to verify I was doing things correctly. I did follow his suggestion of trying for Mobile Service to remedy the hose. Of the three I called, the one who responded left without billing me since he was unsuccessful in his attempt.

At 5:52PM the wrong tow arrived. The clock kept ticking. When I called to give Randy D. an update he told me "good job," by not accepting the first tow vehicle. Small consolation at the time, but I would gladly accept any pat on the back at this point. "After seventeen (17) calls between Coach-Net and me, the correct Landoll arrived at 10:45PM.

Hats off to the Landoll crew, to the point I told them their name needed to be changed to "Care and Diligence Towing." The Bird arrived literally unscathed at the repair facility, which of course the whole point of towing it correctly.

Pictures are as follows, but begs me to ask if I don't post pictures did it happen?

1. Big incorrect truck
2. Urban Camping
3. Landoll
4. Generator Cover Removed
5. Loading the Bird
6. Front boards used to prevent drag
7. Rear boards used to prevent drag
8. Loaded to Go

I attempted to post the pictures right-side up by rotating the pictures and reloading. It did not correct the issue.

Timothy
Randy who?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-21-2022

Don't waste your time on Teflon hoses. Just get two sets of the regular ones made, or at least add their dimensions to your documentation so you can just order it in 25 years when it happens again.
Old 07-22-2022

I wondered where that visit we had was going to go. Great job on getting it done right. It was likely one of the small fan motor bypass hoses. They looked real bad when I checked them.
2008 Dynamax Dynaquest 340XL
[email]RShrimp@Yahoo.com[/email]