Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-24-2021
mose mose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aloha
Posts: 1,289
Default Adding aux and airbag gauges to dash

I added dash pressure gauges for both the aux tank and the airbags.

Adding an aux tank gauge will allow all tank pressures to be monitored while filling from one of the compressors. It can also indicate the source of leaks as it is placed prior to the Pressure Protection valve. (I quickly found out all my leaks were after the aux PP valve since the tank held 60psi indefinitely.)

Bag pressures are nice to monitor since I added a 'max height' mode, and didn't want to max out the bags.

So if anyone is curios, here's some pics of the install:
  • I added the aux pressure line before the protection valve so I have true tank pressure. There was an unused manifold port, so I added it there.
  • Front bag pressures also had an unused manifold port since both bags share a common height control valve.
  • Rear bag pressures are independent L/R, so I just added a tee at the front bag on each side.
  • Since I modified the dash to accept a double-DIN radio, the upper opening was just a hole. So I made a plastic panel and mounted dual pressure gauges. Haven't labeled them yet. Also moved the propane injection switches to the same panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aux tank pressure text.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	75859   Click image for larger version

Name:	front bag pressure text.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	75860   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bag pressure text.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	75861   Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure gagues lifted text.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	75862  
__________________
Mose Wahlstrom
Aloha, Oregon
1991 WB40 "Dave"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2021
kunzelj's Avatar
kunzelj kunzelj is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakville
Posts: 744
Default

It's a good idea. Do you find them distracting on a rough road as they flap around? These gauges are also great to have some idea of your vehicle weight.
__________________
Jeff Kunzelman
Oakville, Manitoba, Canada
1988 FC-35SB 300HP/ZF (2016-current)
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2021
mose mose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aloha
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunzelj View Post
Do you find them distracting on a rough road as they flap around?
Don't know. I've been fixing this thing up and haven't really taken it out. Haven't gone anywhere since adding the gauges. If it's distracting, I'll take the gauges apart and paint all the needles black!
__________________
Mose Wahlstrom
Aloha, Oregon
1991 WB40 "Dave"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2021
whited44 whited44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canfield
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
I added dash pressure gauges for both the aux tank and the airbags.

Adding an aux tank gauge will allow all tank pressures to be monitored while filling from one of the compressors. It can also indicate the source of leaks as it is placed prior to the Pressure Protection valve. (I quickly found out all my leaks were after the aux PP valve since the tank held 60psi indefinitely.)

Bag pressures are nice to monitor since I added a 'max height' mode, and didn't want to max out the bags.

So if anyone is curios, here's some pics of the install:
  • I added the aux pressure line before the protection valve so I have true tank pressure. There was an unused manifold port, so I added it there.
  • Front bag pressures also had an unused manifold port since both bags share a common height control valve.
  • Rear bag pressures are independent L/R, so I just added a tee at the front bag on each side.
  • Since I modified the dash to accept a double-DIN radio, the upper opening was just a hole. So I made a plastic panel and mounted dual pressure gauges. Haven't labeled them yet. Also moved the propane injection switches to the same panel.
Were you having trouble with low air lights and buzzers??
__________________
Dennis White
Canfield, OH
1993 WB40
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2021
mose mose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aloha
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited44 View Post
Were you having trouble with low air lights and buzzers??
I have replaced a failed low air buzzer pressure switch. But was unrelated to these modifications. If your F/R brake tanks will pump above about 65psi, then the aux tank must be above that pressure as well.
__________________
Mose Wahlstrom
Aloha, Oregon
1991 WB40 "Dave"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2021
whited44 whited44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canfield
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
I have replaced a failed low air buzzer pressure switch. But was unrelated to these modifications. If your F/R brake tanks will pump above about 65psi, then the aux tank must be above that pressure as well.
Where were those switches located??
__________________
Dennis White
Canfield, OH
1993 WB40
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2021
mose mose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aloha
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited44 View Post
Where were those switches located??
At the output of Aux tank where it feeds the F/R brake tanks. Above the drive axle, above the air dryer.
__________________
Mose Wahlstrom
Aloha, Oregon
1991 WB40 "Dave"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
RSeibert RSeibert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 229
Default

Hey Mose.

The dash pic (re-attached here) says the gages for the bags are displaying PSI at max lift (I know you modded to be able to raise the bus).

I’m curious – What’s the “Average” PSI you see for the front + drive axle bags … When parked and under way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR BAG GAUGES.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	92351  
__________________
Rodney Szeibert
Montreal, Quebec
1993 WLWB 40 8V92
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
mose mose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aloha
Posts: 1,289
Default

Looks like about 70psi in the rears, and 45psi in the front. I'm running the Tag around 65psi.

Tag is set at 10,000lb. Front is about 14,000lb and drive around 21,000lb.

The effective cross sectional area is similar for the F/R bags, so the weight ratio should be similar to the pressure ratio.

21k/14k = 1.5
70psi/45psi = 1.56

Tag is a rolling sleeve, but similar area. Only 2 bags, sort of located over axle, so roughly half the weight supported.

21k/10k/2 = 1.05
70psi/65psi = 1.08

The average rolling pressures are the same as the static. It just fluctuates above/below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240703_235548208.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	92449  
__________________
Mose Wahlstrom
Aloha, Oregon
1991 WB40 "Dave"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
RSeibert RSeibert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 229
Default

Hey Mose.

Thanks …

I get the math … After studying for a bit!

Nice to have that visibility …

And a good telltale if pressures are good but getting a “SUSP. DUMP” warning light (Light supposed to be triggered by either one of two parallel switches that should close when they detect under 30 PSI).
__________________
Rodney Szeibert
Montreal, Quebec
1993 WLWB 40 8V92
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of adding EGT and Transns. Temp Gauges... DHHarris 'Bird Projects & Modifications 10 10-10-2019 08:40 PM
Adding generator gauges LeRoy Generators 23 07-02-2019 10:23 PM
Dash Gauges sizzbiz M380 (Unique Issues) 5 01-01-2019 08:34 PM
Adding Generator gauges dmurdock BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) 1 05-26-2016 08:19 PM
Gauges and dash panels Stephen Parts and Other Items For Sale 5 11-07-2009 09:44 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.