Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 08-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
WOW!

I read that BP100 manual carefully months ago and then emailed tech support and was surprised to learn and then re-confirm that it was one-way device.

My plan instead for the tesla battery, was to use one of the EV contactors with voltage and thermal control. And recommended one with the efficiency circuitry (low power draw).

Doug
Glad to help. I have been looking for a work around and they are coming up.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 08-13-2019

Hi Chris,
Your help would be great.
I was thinking of using this for thermal control for the EV contactor relay and wiring analogous voltage control (didn't do much digging on amazon, but sure they exist) in series to control the contactor. I used that thermostat for my fridge chimney exhaust fan.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
+
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=273
Ex-PT36
Old 09-11-2019

I got this PCB done and send off to fab to have a batch made. This is shown here in a completely sealed automotive ECM type enclosure I found. Of course it has CAN bus connections to use it

This is a multi function thing. It's primary purpose is to function as a capacitive liquid level sensor for water, black, and grey tanks. I can use one module for the water under the bed and mount one underneath to run to the black and grey tanks. The electrodes are stainless steel 16ga strips about 24" long and a half inch wide with a threaded spud welded to it so I can use generic wire and ring terminals to connect them to this box. The electrodes are also completely weatherproof and very robust this way. They will be stuck on the side of the tanks somehow, probably some highly aggressive 3m tape. My waste tanks are not enclosed in any way so they are exposed to road grime and foil tapes would never last.

It also has 4 solid state "relay" outputs good for an amp or two and depending how it's configured also has 3 a/d converter inputs and 3 optoisolated 12v inputs.

There is also a temperature sensor on the board. I thought it might be handy if it were to ever control freeze protection for the waste tanks. The part is like $1.50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waste tank sender board.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	64080  
Old 09-11-2019

Awesome, alas I have a ways to go before I have a place to work on the coach. I am hoping this fall. CAN bus, I see more than a few ways to interface with the Raspberry Pie or beagle bone. Smart. Your board has enough I/Os to stand on its own. I see a graphic representation of the coach on the LCD with an overlay showing the tank levels and alarms at different levels. I have the Victron Venus GX (https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...oring/venus-gx) to bring in the electrical part. Please let me know if you can sell a spare. I just got set up to SMD work (helping a friend with Ipad and Iphone SMD rework) . USB microscope and all .
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 09-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRasman View Post
Awesome, alas I have a ways to go before I have a place to work on the coach. I am hoping this fall. CAN bus, I see more than a few ways to interface with the Raspberry Pie or beagle bone. Smart. Your board has enough I/Os to stand on its own. I see a graphic representation of the coach on the LCD with an overlay showing the tank levels and alarms at different levels. I have the Victron Venus GX (https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...oring/venus-gx) to bring in the electrical part. Please let me know if you can sell a spare. I just got set up to SMD work (helping a friend with Ipad and Iphone SMD rework) . USB microscope and all .
The Victron thing looks nice, but I don't want to be tied down to their "cloud" thing, and it's way too expensive for what it does. I have spares of everything so when you're ready to go just get a hold of me. It doesn't cost much to have more made, either.

I've got tons of different I/O to communicate with everything, but I would just do CAN bus for everything if I had a choice. RS485 works great, too, but CAN is cheap, common, and protocols are free/easy.
Old 09-11-2019

Well I have the Victron gear already. I'll ping you this fall, soon for a board. I know you don't like them, but I bought into them whole hog and they aren't that bad.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 09-12-2019

It's not that I don't like Victron - I think they make good stuff, but I only have hands-on experience with their DC/DC converter. They are one of the few places making inverters using toroids for some reason and I still haven't figured out if that's good or bad. It seems like they have an over-complicated system, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-12-2019

Toroidal coils have been around since the beginning (Faraday’s Law of Induction). The Chinese use cheap transformers that wont last at the least and are downright dangerous at the worse. The magnetic flux field is one of the best ways to smooth current flow (that is the simple way to explain it). TCs will self correct and cancel out current excursion due to the physics involved like no other device made. Sure you can do it with electronics, but its way more complicated and much more delicate. To me the their inverters are built like tanks. I have the 5K inverter and I have looked at its internals and they are really well built. I can pick on the terminals (that is all over the internet) but that is about it. It's like most of the high end EU stuff. Expensive and overbuilt. I suspect they will last many years and even with a little maltreatment. Side by side with some of the more popular inverter, I would put money on them. I am really pumped I am going to get my bus in my back yard in a few weeks. In a month it will be in a garage in my back yard. Only hangup is, I have to take care of my late mothers estate. That going to take me a month or more in the fall. I had so much stuff stocked up for the bus, my home office was overflowing and my wife had it with a stack of boxes in the house. I had to put all of it in my van. Now i can't use my van lol . This winter the bus is going to get lit. I hope to use my weeny little YouTube channel to show off some of what I am going to do to it and help the community. I hope I can pick your brains once I am roiling too.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 09-12-2019

I'm good with toroids, just pointing out that marked difference is all. Good luck with the estate, that's never a good time. My shop is still overflowing with ****, I need to get through it all one of these days.
Old 09-14-2019

Sooooo here's a weird one - I'm going to swap to a hydraulic fan motor and PWM control from an S60 coach like an LXI and install a new high tech plastic fan. The goal is to not have the fan cycle on and off all the time, just have it constantly vary its speed so it only spins enough to do the cooling required. This will save some fuel money and power on the hills. And the parts are easier to get, even though I will have 2 of these Webster motors now. I can get rid of the original 12v valve stuff, too. I still have to replace most of those hydraulic hoses anyways. The LXI motor bolts in place of the original one and has the same shaft specs so the original fan should fit fine.

I got another new curtain installed today (big deal right). That involved intense cleaning of the ribbed vinyl walls and windows and it's not fun. I can't get over how filthy every square inch was inside this bus. Black stuff, just crazy. You wouldn't notice just looking at it. Purple power and Mr Clean erasers gets everything nice and clean, jamming my fat fingers into those pleats is hard work.