Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 04-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
What do we have here? Guesses?

Attachment 55107
Solar panels.

1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" FOR SALE
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 04-25-2018

Wow it only took 3 minutes!

They are six 200w 36-cell panels. I've started on the mounting system for them, but I probably won't get them all up there for a while.
Old 04-25-2018

I was going with flux capacitor, as that is about the only thing you don't have yet. Ha!
Old 04-25-2018

hmmm, rock shields for front fascia?
... mirrors to go with your smoke?

or maybe some solar panels?
Ex-PT36
Old 04-30-2018

I took a little video of the new control panel. I've been madly updating the backend stuff, which all works, so the interface is finally getting done. The first part of that is to just lay out everything on the screens and then get the data moving to/from those elements. Everything here is controllable with my phone as long as the bus has a cell signal or wifi. I'm trying to get texting working on the cell modem so I don't need to use data up for data

I went and got the LP tank filled (30 gallons from completely empty FWIW) and the level sensor works, despite what the video shows. We're getting ready for a trip this week so I have put everything back together and made some shakedown runs. I haven't put any real miles on it since I had all the work done. It turns out that the alarmstat isn't turning the hydraulic fan on, so I think it got knocked around when the fan motor was replaced. The new one will be here in the morning and simply unhooking one wire from the sensor started the fan up and it worked fine, never budged from 195 with the fan on 100%.

Old 05-01-2018

Nice.
We like the vintage look of our Bird and have no plans to add a display like that, but I would like to have something like that behind the scenes for monitoring and management.
Old 05-01-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I took a little video of the new control panel. I've been madly updating the backend stuff, which all works, so the interface is finally getting done. The first part of that is to just lay out everything on the screens and then get the data moving to/from those elements. Everything here is controllable with my phone as long as the bus has a cell signal or wifi. I'm trying to get texting working on the cell modem so I don't need to use data up for data

I went and got the LP tank filled (30 gallons from completely empty FWIW) and the level sensor works, despite what the video shows. We're getting ready for a trip this week so I have put everything back together and made some shakedown runs. I haven't put any real miles on it since I had all the work done. It turns out that the alarmstat isn't turning the hydraulic fan on, so I think it got knocked around when the fan motor was replaced. The new one will be here in the morning and simply unhooking one wire from the sensor started the fan up and it worked fine, never budged from 195 with the fan on 100%.
Nice job on the panel Andy.

A constant 195 degrees (with the fan on high) sounds about 20 degrees too high though... unless you were climbing a mountain the whole time.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-01-2018

Absolutely killer work!!!! 195 is way too hot for the fan being on full unless you were on a grade with the pedal on the wood. Cruising 80 i'd kick my fan on high and it'd drop the temp from 190ish to below 170.
Old 05-01-2018

Great job Andy!! Just incredible! I know that programing is very time consuming. Especially for me that is .

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 05-01-2018

I did some testing on the temp gauge and sender just to baseline things here. The sender is a little goofy. I set up a test with my sous vide machine. Basically I was shooting for 125 ohms, which reads about 195 on the gauge. I measured the temps on the sender and when I got up to 125 ohms it was at 196 degrees. Then I let it sit for a 5 minutes at 196 and the resistance went down as it sat there. When I lowered the water temp to get it back to 125 ohms I would be at 190 degrees. It repeated like this a few times, I was always chasing 125 ohms up and down between 190 and 196. Is there a larger problem with this sensor? I don't know. Why did my alarmstat stop turning the fan on? Hmmmm. I think I shall test that switch.

If I have 190 or 195 degree thermostats then this behavior is expected, no? The fan should cycle, which it isn't at all on its own. If I get it up to 195ish on the gauge, run there for a while and pull over and hit the high idle, the temp on the gauge will drop to 180 or so. My driving tests yesterday were WOT on-ramps and sustained max speed on the interstate (72 on the gov into the wind), so these were very much loaded tests. Before I figured out the fan wasn't coming on I could drive long distances at 55mph and the temp stayed at 195. If I bumped it up higher to say 60mph it would slooooowly start to get warmer. I would back off to 50 or so and it would go back down to 195. This is what leads me to think the thermostats are doing their jobs, and probably are not bypassing much coolant when they are closed. Some thermostats open sooner and some have a small window at their set temp, and I have no idea what temperature these are.

I had the fan motor replaced (new) and some coolant was drained, but it seems to have burped and it isn't consuming any coolant. The fan seems to be installed correctly and starts up fine.