Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 01-03-2009

Default erratic performance from 60series

Sill working on a problem I've had since purchasing the coach. The coach typically runs great, although there are times when the computer appears to be derating the output for no reason. An example would be when cruising at 65, normally I can roll into the throttle, and the bus will accelerate smoothly building somewhere around 17psi boost for the duration of the pull (pending rpms)

Now there are times when I can roll into the throttle, and the engine wont make any power. It will SLOWLY build up to about 8psi of boost, and sometimes finally reach 10psi, where at that point it appears to fuel normally. Sometimes this process can take 30 seconds before I can finally build the boost to pull a hill.

Secondly, when this condition is present, the Jake Brake doesnt engage. The tranny WILL downshift, but the jake will not engage. All it takes to correct this issue is to shut down the motor for 10-15seconds, restart, and everything acts like normal.

Any ideas? Anyone had this particular issue in the past?

thanks
Old 01-03-2009
Former Bird Owner

I've not had any problems like you describe ... but it sounds like you need to get a DD mechanic to hook up to the computer port (under the dash) with a laptop with the DD software to check the DDEC system.

Most commonly, electronic problems can be traced to poor grounding -- so check the ground straps and connections from the DDEC unit (on the side of the engine) and between the engine and the frame.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-03-2009

Corey,

Welcome to the S-60, the early years.

My coach has similar operational success with the Jake and at times the cruise and engine idle control.

This is one of those known problems you never hear about until it’s your turn. That's usually a good thing, someone can tell you how to fix it. Not this one.

And I’m sorry to say I still don’t have my bugs worked out after 3 years .

The Jakes had a recall of sorts for the 95’s , I'm guessing the 96's would be in here to, it consists of deactivating a relay number 22c, I think, don’t recall exactly. This turns the three position Jake into a two position Jake, High and Low only. It cuts out the Middle position. As I recall the problem is in the DDEC programing in conflic with how BB wired up the coach.

This needs to be checked it’s inside the front exterior compartment the second problem could be the Cannon Plus on the left side of same compartment they could be check for corrosion or burning on the internal pins of each plug. Youy'll need a magnifying glass for this one. Check or replace the rocker control switchs. The plugs into the DDEC. The internal harness for the Jake. I had this checked out when I thought the Jake was active all the time and it turned out to be a bad cam and roller bearing for #6 cyl. Got that fixed but the Jake is the same. Or course there can be a loose or poorly grounded wire. The DDEC could have been reprogrammed in some manner for this Jake problem

I have done all of these things with the exception of checking the DDEC . I have a back up DDEC and will have it installed soon to see if it has a positive affect on Jake operations. It has a fresh programe for my engine. I am going to reprogram it if needed and the tranny ECU as well. The tranny has always down shifted with the Jake turned on, but the engine just doesn’t seem to be doing it’s job. No decerable noise from engine. I can acheive the same results from manual downshifting with the Jake turn on or off.

I will call my BB Guru on Monday and try and get the specifics to this problem, and the best fix for this problem.

I'd like to hear from any one that's got the details on this one, No one has ever explained the problem or the fix well enought to actually fix it.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC

Last edited by Bumpersbird; 01-03-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-03-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Check this thread from back in September and see if it relates to the same issue.

Check out;
Oslo Switch-rocker switch-dashboard

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-03-2009

Thanks John,

That should help.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 01-03-2009

Kurt,

thanks for the information. Couple questions for you. When your Brake was acting up, was there any other symptons of performance issues in the bus? I'm 90% sure mine is going to be a DDEC issue due to the corresponding issue of no power. It seems to happen either (A) after the engine has been idling for extended periods (20-30 minutes) I always know the condition exists immediately because of the lack of the Jake Brake. So typically I just shut down the motor, let it sit for about a minute, and start it back up and everything works great.

I'm going to go ahead and take it into a service center to let a DD tech scan the DDEC to see if he can find any thing, maybe reprogram, and maybe try to add about 50hp. I'll let you know what we/I find out.
Old 01-03-2009
Former Bird Owner

The jake brake on my coach (a '95) has been rewired presumably due to the recall. The only quirk I discovered (after someone on this list mentioned it) is that the Jake will work fine, but if you turn off the "enable" switch while the jake is operating then it won't work again until after an engine shut down and restart. (I guess the DDEC resets on a start.) I discovered the problem in Texas where many towns have a "no jake brake" sign at the city limits. I'd turn it off then turn it back on ... and it would work. Later, I'd turn it off, then it didn't turn on again. But the next day (after an overnight stop), it would work again. I didn't notice that sometimes the Jake was working when I switched it off, etc.

On my latest trip, I didn't have any issues with the Jake brake as I was careful to only switch it off (or on) while the Jake isn't being used. And, it worked as expected.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-04-2009

Pete,
I think that was me whom told you not to switch the brake while active. That seemed to be my answer for awhile, but it doesn't always work for me anymore. I'm glad that little tip seems to be working for you though!
Old 01-04-2009

Kurt,
If you don't have any deceleration engine noise, especially in the high setting, your jake is not correctly working. Mine has an increasing noise as I increase the Jake. Very definitely know it's working.

Corey,
It happens with extended idling and what's the other time you can see it?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 01-04-2009

(B) The other times I have noticed it is during situations like in west texas, where you may go 45miles at the same speed with no real changes.

Sorry I forgot to add point B in my prior post!

Last edited by lonestar382; 01-04-2009 at 06:01 PM.