Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Consider rebuilding or replacing the air dryer.
Yes, I think that's coming up soon. I doubt if it has ever been replaced or rebuilt.

I can only stand and work for short periods of time, then I'm down on my back for an hour or two. That's why you get these blow-by-blow posts. I pulled off the Pumptrol again and hooked it to air in the shop. No alarm.

So I hooked up shop air to the compressor connection o on the coach. Still no alarm. Then I remembered to turn on power. The alarm came back, although it was quite weak. So it is an electric buzzer alarm of some sort, I'm just not sure what it's telling me yet. When it was strong, it produced very strong vibrations in the air line, and I suppose the diaphragm in the Pumptrol was amplifying the vibrations, making me feel it strongly in the Pumptrol valve body.

We're getting there, but slowly, slowly.
Old 09-13-2018

There are two purge valve rebuild kits available for the Bendix Air Dryer, a hard seat and a soft seat. Anyone know which one I need?
Old 09-13-2018

Pumptrol units come preset out of the box, I wouldn’t attempt a change. The pressure regulator’s clear bowl is threaded, and is sealed with an O ring, the complete units might be available on EBay.
Search WOG for M380 purge valve, I know Eric did some work on his air dryer, I had my dryer replaced with a Haldex part from NAPA.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 09-14-2018

The Pumptrol manual says my FHG model is adjustable, and it's too late anyways. The pump could not reach the set pressure and would have burned out trying. It's now set to 118 psi, which the pump can reach. I may turn it up after I fix the regulator leak. I can see that the polycarb bottom sight glass is threaded, but I didn't want to break it without first consulting experts here. The 120vac compressor system is now working, except for that regulator leak. It gets fixed next. It turns out the compressor is on circuit breaker 19 (10A) which also controls external receptacles in the RB3 bay. By chance, I plugged the broken vacuum system into that receptacle and had turned off that breaker. Which confused the heck out of me when testing

I was using that CB to control the vacuum from inside the coach.

Next up, the regulator, then the 12v pump.

The air dryer does not leak now. The manual says a purge cycle can take 30 secs. I may not have waited long enough to see the end of purging.

And the alarm is still going whenever I have pressure. That needs to be sorted.

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2018

I would have saved a lot of effort of I'd know that the Pumptrol had an OFF switch lever. FYI, my 120vac compressor will stall if the dash switch is turned off before the Pumptrol has triggered off, then turned back on with pressure still in the system. George said they had a lot of trouble burning up compressors before they bought the FHG Pumptrol with the pressure relief valve integrated. I saw 20+ amps drawn by the stalled compressor and only 5 Amos running normally. The OFF lever switch on the Pumptrol can be used to release head pressure and avoid this. Or you can just release pressure. There's a small valve connected below the air tank in the compressor compartment that can be used to drain water and release pressure from the air tank in that compartment. Or you can use the air hose fitting in the water compartment with an air nozzle to dump air.
Old 09-14-2018

BTW, changing the air pressure, such as by releasing air from the air tank with the valve described above, has an effect on the alarm. It changes beep frequency and switches to continuous, like a bad rusted old diaphragm horn on a motorcycle. It's not an on/off pressure switch thuring something on or off electrically.
Old 09-14-2018

Any chance you could please post some pictures of these items for future reference?

Thank you and glad you are making headway
Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVinCT View Post
I would have saved a lot of effort of I'd know that the Pumptrol had an OFF switch lever. FYI, my 120vac compressor will stall if the dash switch is turned off before the Pumptrol has triggered off, then turned back on with pressure still in the system. George said they had a lot of trouble burning up compressors before they bought the FHG Pumptrol with the pressure relief valve integrated. I saw 20+ amps drawn by the stalled compressor and only 5 Amos running normally. The OFF lever switch on the Pumptrol can be used to release head pressure and avoid this. Or you can just release pressure. There's a small valve connected below the air tank in the compressor compartment that can be used to drain water and release pressure from the air tank in that compartment. Or you can use the air hose fitting in the water compartment with an air nozzle to dump air.
I’ve never had my Aux compressor stall, does your Pumtrol have the relief valve?
However, my Aux pump is on 24/7, to maintain slide seal pressure.
Does your 12v compressor run ok?
Yes, we don’t want a compressor failure, an exact replacement is around $800, they are used in dental offices, and designed to run all day. Of course there are cheaper options out there.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 09-14-2018

Default Prior M380 Air Issues Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Any chance you could please post some pictures of these items for future reference?
Already done Doug ...

Todd - much like your messed up electrical system, I discovered the PO or one of his clueless mechanics had done some BAD work/modifications to my air system. Sorting that out took some time. You may find THIS THREAD to be useful. It has pictures as well as source links for the parts you’re looking at. Rest assured that the education you’re providing yourself now will come in handy later .

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=27421
Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
, does your Pumtrol have the relief valve?
Yes, but it only activates when the Pumptrol has shut itself off (by reaching the shut-off pressure) or if you've manually turned it off with the manual lever on the Pumptrol switch body.

You can get a stall by shutting the 120 vac pump off using the switch on the dash when the system has reached a high pressure, but below the Pumptrol switch-off pressure and before the Pumptrol has activated to turn it off. Then if you turn the 120v compressor back on with the dash switch, it will stall - since the relief valve on the Pumptrol never fired.

A similar thing could happen if you lost shore power briefly in the same condition, at high system pressure, and before the Pumptrol had switched off and triggered the relief valve.

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-14-2018 at 02:58 PM.