Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-13-2018
Forum owner

Tom,your going to have to listen to either the shop,or the guys here.
My money is on Shane,Markus and those guys.
They know the coach like nobody else,they are the experts.
The 6V92 and the 8V92 will use the same sensor.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-14-2018

Good morning.
If you need the sensor that we have all used, please advise and I will send you the correct sensor. This is the sensor that we installed in the right side thermostat housing in all the buses we worked on a few years back. We also lowered the temp sensor to 110" rather than the factory 220". At lease you will be able to rule out the sensor at that point. As the guys have already mentioned, there may be other issues, but the correct sensor is a good start.

Good luck!
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 09-14-2018

Correction:

The sensor I mentioned in my earlier note is the high temp sensor. When I looked at Shane's photo quickly, I thought that was the sensor the sensor being discussed. Nonetheless, the lower alarm sensor is still a good idea at 110" compared to 220".

I apologize for the incorrect information.
Thanks!
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Tom,your going to have to listen to either the shop,or the guys here.
My money is on Shane,Markus and those guys.
They know the coach like nobody else,they are the experts.
The 6V92 and the 8V92 will use the same sensor.
I do trust the guy here more then a shop of 30 yr old who say they know everything I have been tell the shop manager everything they say and told them to listen to it since this bus was going down the road before they where born.
Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspappa View Post
Good morning.
If you need the sensor that we have all used, please advise and I will send you the correct sensor. This is the sensor that we installed in the right side thermostat housing in all the buses we worked on a few years back. We also lowered the temp sensor to 110" rather than the factory 220". At lease you will be able to rule out the sensor at that point. As the guys have already mentioned, there may be other issues, but the correct sensor is a good start.

Good luck!
Is it the sensor that trips the fan?
Old 09-14-2018

OK back up a few steps. Take a picture of the sender that you think is bad if you can. How many terminals are on it? Whatever is in that 1/8 NPT port is probably not original. The fan switch will have 2 wires on it, not one. I believe the fan switch is on the driver's side thermostat housing and the temp sensor senders are on the passenger's side thermostat housing (Shane's pic shows these).

You can also test the sensor in hot water if you have a thermometer to measure the water temp on the stove.

I had an "overheating" problem this spring that turned out to be a temp gauge sender problem and it wasn't overheating at all. Just replaced the gauge sender and did some testing and all is well now.
Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
OK back up a few steps. Take a picture of the sender that you think is bad if you can. How many terminals are on it? Whatever is in that 1/8 NPT port is probably not original. The fan switch will have 2 wires on it, not one. I believe the fan switch is on the driver's side thermostat housing and the temp sensor senders are on the passenger's side thermostat housing (Shane's pic shows these).

You can also test the sensor in hot water if you have a thermometer to measure the water temp on the stove.

I had an "overheating" problem this spring that turned out to be a temp gauge sender problem and it wasn't overheating at all. Just replaced the gauge sender and did some testing and all is well now.
This is for sure overheating had coolant puddle under it once I got a place to stop. My plan at this point is to make sure the resivor tank is full and drive it down with the fan on high. However with the wire disconnected the fan is not spinning. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 09-14-2018

You have guidance from resident WOG experts. On my old PT the fan used to run non stop as my alarmstat wasn’t connected.

The fan would move A LOT of air. As in blow your hair back just at idle. And faster with more rpms.

When I reconnected the alarmstat 12V wiring to it the fan would very slowly turn at idle.

Can you see the controller which sends pressure to the fan mechanicanism? Mine was on up on the drivers frame rail just behind the tag axle. It is a box with several large high pressure hoses attached. 1.5” diameter hoses.
About the size of a roll of toilet paper, maybe a bit bigger.

If for some reason the wrong wire was disconnected it won’t run on high.

I recommend checking for 12V there or just nipping one wire to be sure.
Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
You have guidance from resident WOG experts. On my old PT the fan used to run non stop as my alarmstat wasn’t connected.

The fan would move A LOT of air. As in blow your hair back just at idle. And faster with more rpms.

When I reconnected the alarmstat 12V wiring to it the fan would very slowly turn at idle.

Can you see the controller which sends pressure to the fan mechanicanism? Mine was on up on the drivers frame rail just behind the tag axle. It is a box with several large high pressure hoses attached. 1.5” diameter hoses.
About the size of a roll of toilet paper, maybe a bit bigger.

If for some reason the wrong wire was disconnected it won’t run on high.

I recommend checking for 12V there or just nipping one wire to be sure.
So I talked to George Morris down in Ga, he spoke to the tech here and told him what to look for so he is looking at the hydraulic fan and all of its components to see if that is where the problem is.
Old 09-14-2018

Best of luck, Tom. Hope you get un-stranded!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
1990 SP36 75k