Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 08-29-2018

Default Problem Airing Up. Governor Leaking Through Exhaust Port

I have been having intermittent issues with the bus airing up. The governor would leak through the exhaust port and never get beyond about 40 psi. I could normally get the bus to air up by pumping the air down and letting build again, and eventually it would build to and stay at 120 psi and the dryer would sneeze normally.

Everything I have read makes it sound like a bad governor, so today we replaced it with a reconditioned Bendix D2. (This was the only one available at Napa). Well, we got everything put back together and we still have the same exact symptom, leaking from the exhaust port and only about 40 psi. This happens with both the engine compressor and using shop air through the rear schrader valve.

I have read several accounts online where people have gotten a bad reconditioned governor, but that seems like it would be too easy for my usual luck.

I purchase two other D2 governors tonight, another reconditioned Bendix and some new Chinese made knockoff. The guy at the parts desk said that the Bendix is marked reconditioned, but it is actually new. We are going to replace the governor tomorrow morning, and I will try to find a non-reconditioned Bendix before we start.

I would love to hear any theories on what I might look for as plan B or C in case the new, new governor doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Diego
Old 08-30-2018

Diego, I had the exact same problem with my coach about 3 years ago. I tried some mystery marvel oil in the system and that solved it for a short period of time, indicating it was indeed the gov. So I replaced the gov with a NEW one and solved the problem. No issues since and the coach aired up much faster than before.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 08-30-2018
Forum owner

And i think its possible that if something in the air dryer is leaking by,it could cause the same leak.
Has the air dryer been serviced?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-30-2018

Thanks Don. I am currently calling around for a new non-Chinese governor.

Randy,

I was worried about the exact same thing (been doing a lot of reading since yesterday...)

I am currently calling around looking for a cartridge for what I think is an AD2 dryer.

Thanks,

Diego
Old 08-30-2018
RV Appraiser

If it is the governor move it because it is a bear to get to and where it currently is mounted, right rear frame rail between the drive & tag axle. Also buy a spare, they're cheap enough and I have replaced 2 within a week because the first had a defect.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-30-2018

Thanks John. I currently have 3 governors in my hands, a new Chinese made one, a new one of unknown origin from Inland Truck Parts, and a Bendix unit which is marked refurbished but the parts guy says is actually new. I am about to replace it for a second time in as many days, trying to decide which governor is the lucky one.

I also have a dryer cartridge on its way to me so we can service the dryer this afternoon.

All the truck service places that I have worked with here in Austin have about a 3 week backlog, so I have my bus at my mechanic who will do exactly what I ask him to do, but that leaves me to be the expert when things do not go as expected.

I spoke to the very wise Rick Shawver yesterday too. He wasn't sure if the unloader valve sticking on the compressor could be causing the same symptoms.

I appreciate all the help!

Diego
Old 08-30-2018
Forum owner

Has the air dryer been serviced? ever? in your ownership?
if not,it needs it,and it may be the problem.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-30-2018

I have not serviced the dryer in my 2 1/2 years of ownership. We are doing that today.

I thought that I had an AD-2 dryer, so I was having that cartridge trucked in today, before I could get to the bus to check the blue box. I went through my blue box and found manuals for both an AD-4 and an AD-9 dryer! I looked through all the receipts and didn't find one for a dryer.

So now I am not 100% sure of what I have. I took a picture of the bottom of the dryer as the sides no longer show anything legible and it looks like an AD-4, so I bought an AD-4 cartridge, purge value, etc.

We are also replacing the PPV near the dryer since it is leaking and will be much easier once the we drop the dryer.

Thanks again,

Diego

On another note, I did see a receipt in 2013 the transmission was serviced with Transynth, and I just serviced it with Dextron III, so I am kicking myself. I guess I will do Transynth twice next time. Doh!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3626.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	57276  
Old 08-30-2018

Pretty sure that is an AD 4.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-30-2018