Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 5 Days Ago

Default Power Steering Hose Burst?

Greetings everyone. I'm a bit new here. Got my '85 about 3 months ago and have had it parked at a relatives house due to me being in the city and it's a code violation to park it Monday through Friday at my house.
Anyhow, it's pretty solid but there's some things that need replacing. The first one would be some part of my power steering system that just burst in my driveway when I brought it home for the weekend.
Needless to say, there was a big mess in the street in front of my house.

I could use a little help with direction here. I have the owners manual but all it tells me is to use 10w-30 oil to top it off.
Is there some diagram or pictures that would tell me where all the components of the power steering system are?

And after finding the hose or component I need to replace, is there some go-to parts places for these buses?

All I know at the moment is there's a leak up front behind the driving cabin. Also, for some reason, in the front bay it's slowly dripping from the ceiling. Any thoughts on this?

I'm a little concerned that I won't be able to move it from my driveway until this is fixed.

Thank you in advance!
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

Welcome to the ZOO!
If you have fluid dripping from the ceiling in the front bay thats where the leak is going to be! (well,duhh!)
I guess you know that!
You are talking about the very first bay,right?
Behind the wall in hat bay is where you will find the steering box,you will have to take the back wall out or get under the coach and look up to see the box,and the hydraulic hoses that feed it.
You may have to add fluid so you can see the leak,be careful under the bus and do not put your hands on any hose feeling for leaks,if its a high pressure pin hole you can get a fluid injection which could kill you or at the least ruin your day.
We have to find the leak,before we can help you fix it.
Are you a handy guy?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Welcome to the ZOO!
If you have fluid dripping from the ceiling in the front bay thats where the leak is going to be! (well,duhh!)
I guess you know that!
You are talking about the very first bay,right?
Behind the wall in hat bay is where you will find the steering box,you will have to take the back wall out or get under the coach and look up to see the box,and the hydraulic hoses that feed it.
You may have to add fluid so you can see the leak,be careful under the bus and do not put your hands on any hose feeling for leaks,if its a high pressure pin hole you can get a fluid injection which could kill you or at the least ruin your day.
We have to find the leak,before we can help you fix it.
Are you a handy guy?

Hi Randy,
Thank you and yes, I'm pretty handy. It's just intimidating how big this thing is.
So, most of the oil leaked out in the street and I assume it was not from within the front hat bay. But when I opened the hat bay, there was a puddle and some dripping from the ceiling. Surely, this can't be exactly where it's leaking from because the puddle is fairly small compared to what ended up in the street. My guess is it sprayed up in there somehow.
I do see a panel in the ceiling I'll try to take off and check but I really think the leak is more towards the front.

I'll report back after disassembly.
Old 5 Days Ago

Welcome to the WOG. We're glad your here.

What are you call a "Hat Bay"? Is the leak that is still dripping under the coach or inside? What color is the fluid thats under the bus?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 5 Days Ago

Welcome to WOG.
I’m not an expert on these FCs (assuming it’s an FC) but will try to help some
It should be drivable but will be a bear to turn. I think I would top it off and leave the engine cover off or loose. Depending on how far and how much it’s leaking, try to get it off the street before you tear it apart and possibly make it immovable. Refill it enroute if it leaks out before you get to the parking spot. Don’t ruin your pump by driving with the pump dry.

Hoses can be a real bear to get on and off. Napa or some other good auto parts place (not Pep Boys) can look at the one you bring in and either build it or order one for you. Way too many fitting combinations and lengths etc to just try and order one
I would change both of the hoses while you are working in that vicinity. 33 years is long enough to assume they are old.

It’s going to be doable for most owners if you are willing to get dirty

Good luck with the repair.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 5 Days Ago

Alright, well apparently, previous owner cut an access hole in the ceiling of the front hatch bay. So, I took it off and I found a loose hose. Looks like it was a recent repair.. the hose looks brand new, but I cannot see where it would connect to. And Randy, judging by this, you were right

Edit: I tried to update by signature but no go. It's a Diesel Pusher PT40 6v92
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

thats what we can a screw on fitting,it may not be the right fitting for the size of the hose,or it may have been installed wrong.
I bet theres a youtube video somewhere showing how those fittings screw on.
It will be worth your time to find one,unless you have done it before.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

Any idea where I should look for the the connecting hose/adapter? I assume towards the back but there's nothing I can see

Old 5 Days Ago
Gardner

The same hydraulic system operates the engine cooling fan, so it needs to be fixed before driving any distance.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 5 Days Ago

That looks like a failed attempt at a splice to fix a hole or to replace an old hose.
The other end has to be right there somewhere

It’s high pressure so it will blow all your fluid out in short order. It’s gotta be fixed because as Gardner said, that system also cools the engine.

Finding the problem wasn’t that hard. I bet we can get it fixed and better than the previous attempt.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift