Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > How to use the Forum Features

How to use the Forum Features Information on general forum usage and reading/posting messages. also "How To Do It" TUTORIAL Instructions, on using the forum

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2014

The ability to Delete a Post can be a BAD thing. I had a experience as a moderator on a different type of forum where one person got their feelings hurt and all the conversations he started and other people participated in (contributing their input and thoughts) and as the original poster of the thread he had the ability to and did delete all of those conversations. Pictures, Technical info etc... A 40-odd yr old doctor and he's acting like a child, going to take his toys and go home to momma. 100's of posts and comments gone. Not to mention now empty posts in the middle of other people's conversations that now have no context.

I urge the powers to be here to NOT grant this ability. What we did was allow people to change their post but after a week no ability to modify or delete a older post. We thought it was unfair to others to start a conversation and then hang it out to dry because one gets in a bad mood. You don't own it anymore after others have contributed to it. Their is a setting in most forum software for that. I know it was in phpBB and I think I've seen it in SMF as well.

Just a thought. Not that anyone here is that way but in reality, after a week/month or so it should be left alone, if it's a bad thing then a moderator can always change or nuke it.

Ken - Austin, Texas - keeping Mom on the road in her '94 34' Safari Serengeti
- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25°, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 03-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
The ability to Delete a Post can be a BAD thing. I had a experience as a moderator on a different type of forum where one person got their feelings hurt and all the conversations he started and other people participated in (contributing their input and thoughts) and as the original poster of the thread he had the ability to and did delete all of those conversations. Pictures, Technical info etc... A 40-odd yr old doctor and he's acting like a child, going to take his toys and go home to momma. 100's of posts and comments gone. Not to mention now empty posts in the middle of other people's conversations that now have no context.

I urge the powers to be here to NOT grant this ability. What we did was allow people to change their post but after a week no ability to modify or delete a older post. We thought it was unfair to others to start a conversation and then hang it out to dry because one gets in a bad mood. You don't own it anymore after others have contributed to it. Their is a setting in most forum software for that. I know it was in phpBB and I think I've seen it in SMF as well.

Just a thought. Not that anyone here is that way but in reality, after a week/month or so it should be left alone, if it's a bad thing then a moderator can always change or nuke it.

It can also be a GOOD thing to delete a post. Come to think of it, there is good and bad in most things.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-29-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
It can also be a GOOD thing to delete a post. Come to think of it, there is good and bad in most things.
If anyone wants to have an individual post removed just send me a PM with a link to the post in question if after I review it, the posts does not delete valuable information from WOG then I will remove the post for you.

Again I want to mention this important note I don't read the WOG by email and I thought that once a post is submitted it will be sent in the original form to all members that subscribe to read the WOG by email, editing or deleting your post after you have submitted it will not change those emails, but only change what is shown on the WOG Internet site, so it may be best to Preview your posts carefully, before you Submit them.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post

Thanks Ken,

I couldn't agree with you more, to the best of my knowledge we don't have any members here on WOG like that..........................anymore!!!
Old 03-29-2014
Geek

Current options on this board allow editing indefinitely. I agree that it would be a good idea to limit the time. vBulletin options are from 1 minute to 1440 minutes (24 hours). If deletion were enabled (and it can be) it would be subject to the same limitations (currently indefinite).
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 03-29-2014

I'd do the 24 hours thing if that was my only choice. You don't need some future hothead gutting a conversation. But thats just me, based on past experience, where years of discussions was compromised.

It also doesn't just have to do with a single individual, what about if the account is hacked and someone starts replacing old posts with spam? Ex Wives, children, the boogeyman...

Ken - Austin, Texas - keeping Mom on the road in her '94 34' Safari Serengeti
- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25°, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 03-29-2014

Post editing has been changed to a limit of 1 day. Deleting a post or thread will be done by the Moderators and Administrators, see post #13 in this thread.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-29-2014
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Wanting to be able to delete a double post or edit an old post to correct a mistake, add a part number, modify or add a picture, repair a broken link, etc (like we’ve been able to do since the beginning of this Forum) certainly opened a can of worms.

Now it seems we want to crack down on Forum members because someone might decide to delete his old posts or someone might create some mischief in the future.

Isn’t that one of the reasons for keeping the Forum server backed up on a regular basis?

I can see it now….

Post # 2 “be sure to tighten the bolts to 200 ft lb”

Post #3 to Post # 139 talking about why skydiving is fun……

Post #140 “oops I see I made a mistake in Post #2…. I meant to say tighten the bolts to 20 ft lb or you’ll strip the threads in the block and you’ll have to pull the engine to fix it”.... Sorry I would have gone back and edited Post #2 if I was allowed…. I did email Finn about it but maybe he’s working on that 2 year backlog of edit requests………..
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-29-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Default WOG by email

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
(...) I thought that once a post is submitted it will be sent in the original form to all members that subscribe to read the WOG by emai (...).

I know of the option to receive a notice when a new post is added to a thread I've subscribed to, but there is no option to read all posts as email messages.

The only way to do it would be to subscribe to every thread (new and old, there must be thousands and thousands of them by now). I don't doubt it is possible, but I'm wondering if I missed an option or something that makes reading the WOG by email more practical than it appears.

Thanks.
Portsmouth, Va
Old 03-29-2014
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
I know of the option to receive a notice when a new post is added to a thread I've subscribed to, but there is no option to read all posts as email messages.
I don't think vBulletin has that option for members. It IS an option for moderators and administrators, and John may have that enabled for himself.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1