Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory

Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory If you have a comment or a question about the Wanderlodge factory, ask them here.

Site Search:

Old 10-19-2009
Forum owner

Default The Birds Nest,lets talk about it.

We are parked in the birds nest tonight.
Karl has allowed us to stay here during the auction.

But heres a few things he told us today.
Hes giving us the nest,we can use it,but not abuse it.
We will have to form a committee to make up some rules or by-laws or whatever they are called.
The plant manager (not yet hired) will be on the committee,and there will be several (numbers unknown) Wanderlodge owners also on the committee or board.
These board members will be from this group,the FoF group and any other group as long as its a BB related person.

Things that have to be considered:
Length of stay
Cost of staying
Yearly rate or nightly?

And plenty of other things will need to be figured out.
Like,how many people need to be on the board?,i do think an odd number is best,no ties on the votes that way,and the plant manager can be a the even numbered guy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-19-2009

Randy,

I would vote for a nightly rate as opposed to a yearly one, if you have only one choice. The ideal would be to have both options. The more local folk could buy in at a slightly reduced rate for the yearly amount and the more distant folk could just pay nightly when they're there. To create a self imposed limit of stay, you'd actually not have to impose one. All you'd have to do is increase the nightly rate for the "one-timers" after a week and increase it again after the second week. After the second week, the rate should be well above any local campground rate. As far as the yearly pay folks, just add a tariff for the first week and a higher one for the second week. This would be paid in advance, of course. Oh, and anybody staying for a second week would have extra cleaning chores to do and anybody staying for the third week would be cleaning the plant!

I agree with the odd number concept. There should never be a tie, simple majority and it goes.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-19-2009

Several ifs:
If the primary goal is for Bluebird owners to use it, and
if the goal is to cover all costs and have a fund for future improvements and hired care (but no profit), then I suggest a trial at $15 a night, 2 weeks max. This rate would be for any Bird owners, anyone having work done at plant, plant workers.

Owners of other RVs $25 a night. Consider allowing longer free stays for "work-campers". Work-campers work 3 6 hour days per week for a free stay of 3-4 month commitment. Or no work-campers and just hire the care out.

If it needs to make a profit, then it needs to be more $$.

If trial rates don't work out they can be raised or lowered.

The logistics of care and money will be problematic. Reservations, or just first come first served? Money goes to where for income and costs?

Odd number on board, 5 people sounds resaonable. I nominate Ernie and Randy for 2 positions if they are willing to take them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post

We will have to form a committee to make up some rules or by-laws or whatever they are called.
The plant manager (not yet hired) will be on the committee,and there will be several (numbers unknown) Wanderlodge owners also on the committee or board.
These board members will be from this group,the FoF group and any other group as long as its a BB related person.

Length of stay
Cost of staying
Yearly rate or nightly?

Like,how many people need to be on the board?,i do think an odd number is best,no ties on the votes that way,and the plant manager can be a the even numbered guy.
Old 10-20-2009

[QUOTE=Randy Dupree;33189]

Who is Karl?
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 10-20-2009

If you have to ask, you just wouldn't get it !

Well I have to ask.

Why are you expending your time and effort in the Nest?????

Is there a reason to go to the nest ?

The reason to go there at all was to buy or service your coach.

Last time I looked for a place to go out of the way to, it had something more to offer than is available in Ft Valley.

I attended the funeral, auction, whatever that was and that was enough for me.

Or is there CHANGE in the wind ?

Renaissance, rebirth, raised from the ashes, A feat of biblical proportions ??????

You can't sell from an empty wagon, I'd say the factory is starting to look real empty just about now.

I guess it's just me, I don't go camping, I go touring, that's why I bought a BUS.

Mobile, Agile, Hostile, in Style !

In the 3 years I've owned my coach I have managed maybe 15 trips, for a total of 30,000 miles, 2,000 miles average per trip. I've stopped to camp, 8 times. Key West, Yellowstone, R.M.N.P., Destin, Dauphin Island, Cedar Key, Destin, Point Mallard. Longest stay at any given location 3 days. Then more touring, the worst thing you can do to Bird is make it roost.

The Nest? Really???

Like the old Zen Master said, We shall see.

Or maybe I just don't get it.
Old 10-20-2009
Forum Moderator

Like Kurt I'd like to know what things would draw people to the Fort Valley area. Personally I'd go there for Muriel's Upholstery works, peach ice cream, BB factory windshields. I would say once we have list of all the good reasons to visit Fort Valley we might then have an idea of how much interest there would be to come to the area and use the nest. I'd start out with a $15 per night charge and no time limit. Commercial camp grounds don't usually put limits on how long you can stay. I think there would have to be some pretty compelling attractions in the area before one would need to limit the stay. You can also limit stay through financial pressure.........up the price. Don't hog tie the people right off the bat. Let them come and if we see a need to limit the stay so be it.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 10-20-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Who is Karl

Curt,

Read post #1 of;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > Announcements (MODERATED) > new owner of the wanderlodge factory

Quote:
The new owner of the wanderlodge factory is Karl Moburg (sp?)
hes a young guy,less than 50 i would guess.

He was at the auction and he bought things he needs to get the plant going again.
Big tools,machines etc.
He didnt buy any parts or anything related to any bus thats ever been built at the plant.

He has a soft spot in his heart for wanderlodge owners,he plans on getting the Birds nest cleaned up and back in shape for us, wanderlodge owners everywhere to use and enjoy.
There will be something required from us,the owners of wanderlodges.
I don't think there will be a nightly charge,it will be another form of payment,we may be asked to contract a lawn service,or something like that to keep it looking good.
This is still being sorted out.

Karl also has given us a few gifts to give out at the rallys,we will not tell you at this time what we are giving out,but we will talk about this and pass the items out at the RATS.

Karl and company will be building busses at the factory,a different style from what has been built here in the past,tour busses at first,then who knows?
This bus hes going to build has had all of the design work done,and busses have already been built (i don't know where,or by whom)so,what he needs is to get the factory cleaned up,and get his lines organized and get to work building busses.

Good luck to you Karl!

Hes also going to do wanderlodge service...

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-20-2009
Can't re-member

Randy,

As you probably suspected would be the case you have a volunteer for the committee. I am within a reasonable driving distance and as you know I have put a lot of labor (and personal money) into helping improve and maintain the nest under the previous ownerships......

John

Quote:

Length of stay
Cost of staying
Yearly rate or nightly?

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-20-2009
Can't re-member

I understand the questions as to why one would want to stay at the nest if there is no longer a CoachWorks and Wanderlodges being built. I will have to say that my wife and I were fairly heavy users of the nest in the past. We have made so many friends through the years in the BB community that it wasn't unusual (before hard times hit) for us to get an e-mail or a phone call from another couple that would tell us that they would be heading down I-75 on such and such date and would we like to meet them at the nest for the weekend. Many times we held our own "mini rallys" there with 3 or 4 other coaches meeting for the weekend. While true we could have done the same at a commercial campground, the nest was BlueBirds only and no offense to those with kids (been there) the nest was usually occupied with retirees so it was always peacefull and quiet. It being free at the time was not the major factor (although that was nice) but considering that its 12 miles from I-75 so therefore a 24 mile trip off the expressway, it didn't save that much over a cheap campground next to the freeway.
I guess to sum it up, our biggest attraction then and in the future (if this happens) is the nest is a place that we can go to and see folks again or meet new people who all have a like interest. That being Blue Bird Wanderlodges......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Like Kurt I'd like to know what things would draw people to the Fort Valley area. Personally I'd go there for Muriel's Upholstery works, peach ice cream, BB factory windshields. I would say once we have list of all the good reasons to visit Fort Valley we might then have an idea of how much interest there would be to come to the area and use the nest. I'd start out with a $15 per night charge and no time limit. Commercial camp grounds don't usually put limits on how long you can stay. I think there would have to be some pretty compelling attractions in the area before one would need to limit the stay. You can also limit stay through financial pressure.........up the price. Don't hog tie the people right off the bat. Let them come and if we see a need to limit the stay so be it.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-20-2009
95 WB 42

All
Cutting grass was not so bad 15 people 8 hours HARD work, limb removal
2 large trailer loads grass clippings[about 25% of what was needed to be hauled off] DO NOT fool yourself this is not an easy job.
I will do what I can to help out. Gonna need more equipment.
There was not really 15 people just seemed that way some old folks can GET ER DONE!!

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell