Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 03-31-2013

Default powertech fuel delivery

My genset is starving for fuel. Before pulling anymore hair out, I have a Kubota that runs perfect as long as I supply fuel from a make shift fuel vessel. I assumed the starvation was caused by coach fuel at 1/4 tank. I was troubleshooting a temp problem which was forcing the genset to shut down after about 7 minutes of operation. This problem was caused by air trapped in the water manifold over the pump. Once I burped the system, temp problem was solved. Changed all filters and oil and as stated, gen ran perfect under full load with makeshift fuel tank. ( coffee can with king nipple soldered to bottom and rubber fuel line hung at elevation ala iv drip). Anyway, put everything together and headed out to the fuel depot to put fuel in coach. Since having found evidence of organic contamination in racor, I was reluctant to add too much fuel to main tank for fear that I would be faced with draining fuel tank if Racor clogged again. I wanted to run some Biobor in the 1/4 tank and thereby trying to see if sludge appeared in racor element.
I am finally getting to my question, how much fuel is required in tank to serve the genset? I have 3/8 now and have no fuel at lines from tank. I understand the rationale of designing the genset fuel pick up in a way to prevent all fuel from being used up by genset but how much did the engineers at BB reserve? Secondly, how does gennie get fuel? It's own "tap" at main tank? I find a copper line plumbed into the Racor can that goes forward to parts unknown but see no tap at main tank when underneath. Thirdly, is there a fuel solenoid somewhere up stream of fuel lift pump that would prevent fuel from making it to the lift pump? Or is it simply out of fuel? I blew air up both lines and put a head of vacuum on fuel lines as well. No fuel at eitherline.
Thanks in advance and a Happy Easter everyone!
Bob.
'93 WLWB.
Old 03-31-2013
Forum owner

First question:
Is the lift pump,electric pump,on the engine working?
Check power to it.
Check fuel flow from it.
Its controlled by a oil pressure switch under the starter.
I have seen those pumps run,but not pump,plus,theres a screen in the pump itself.
If its an original pump (painted silver),change it to a new one,they do get weak,

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-31-2013

Thanks for the reply. I can get no fuel at lines coming into the electric lift pump. Therefore, chasing an electric fuel pump problem is going in the opposite direction at this point. There are two lines coming from the rear of the coach. One line is the fuel return line that makes its way to the top of the generator, and one line that makes its way to the bottom of the electric fuel "lift" or "pre- injector pump. There are two sections of flexible line that connect the hard copper lines from the chassis to the generator fuel line bulkhead which allow for flexibility as the generator is rolled out from "stow" position. These two flexible lines, when disconnected are dry. I have blown air in, and vacuumed out these lines and they are still dry. This would indicate one of two scenarious. 1. Fuel line from main tank has hard blockage. 2. Fuel line is dry because coach tank level is low. A third scenario could be supported if there was a solenoid between the gennie supply line and the fuel tank that is closed or malfunctioning. I wonder if anyone could indicate that the # 3 scenario could be ruled out which would leave blocked line or low fuel level. Did the design prevent that 1/4 tank be reserved from the generator consumption? Or did the design prevent more? I have approximately 3/8 of tank or what I guess to be 110 gallons of fuel in the tank. This would leave around 600-700 mile range to empty reserve protection for the coach. If I must, I will put more fuel in coach but for reasons explained earlier, I am remiss to to so. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2013
Gardner

See next update
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 03-31-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 03-31-2013
Gardner

If you get a friend to listen at the fuel fill with the cap off (preferably without a cigarette in their mouth) and you blow air into the lines, they should hear it. If it bubbles it is below the fuel level, if just air is heard it is not. You need to differentiate between the supply and return as well. This assumes there is no filter or additional pump between the generator lines and the tank.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-31-2013

Thank you Gardner, that is a good idea. I will engage my wife to operatwe the air line, while I listen intently at the fill pipe. It would be nice to have the answer to the protected "reserve" for academic puroposes if anyone knows??
Thanks Again!
Old 03-31-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayway View Post
Thank you Gardner, that is a good idea. I will engage my wife to operatwe the air line, while I listen intently at the fill pipe. It would be nice to have the answer to the protected "reserve" for academic puroposes if anyone knows??
Thanks Again!
The general consensus is 1/4 tank, but I suppose it could vary a little. Also consider the ability of the electric pump to prime the system. It may be unable to start the flow with a dry line and 1/4 tank. Once the line is full the pump probably can maintain flow.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-31-2013

I don't purport to be the mechanic that others are but I got lucky in a similar situation a couple of years ago. You might check to see if this works for you. I thought my fuel filter was plugged when the gennie quit so I got one out filled the bowl and started it up and it ran great for about a minute or two and the bowl was empty, when I checked. Filled it again, thinking I must have gotten air into the system and opened the bleeder valve a little longer and eventually it quit again. I got out my schematics and noticed that in the gennie bay there is a fuel selenoid in there. Went to NAPA got one ( failry inexpensive) replaced it. Filled the bowl and again and it worked! First time I ever fixed something like this in my life on my own. Got lucky. Your problem sounds similar so maybe this would help you.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-31-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Just to make sure that this is done once you have fuel delivery fixed, the Kubota fuel bleed valve needs to be opened 1/4 of a turn.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KUBOTA FUEL BLEED VALVE.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	21145  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-31-2013

Thank you all for the lucid responses. I injected air into the line as Gardner suggested and heard hissing in the fuel tank as well as a little gurgling which indicates that the level in the tank is right at the cut-of level where the genset set fuel nipple is located. I will add more fuel Monday and will bet that my problem was not a malfunction at all. I may have a guage that reads a little high towards the lower end. My tank indicates 3/8 tank on the instrument guage which seams a little much for a reserve but better safe than sorry. Will let you know??
Thank you all!