Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-08-2010
HLT Systems

Default 1987 PT38 fuel delivery problem Detroit 928V

I am not getting any fuel from the tank to the Detroit fuel filter system on the Rt side of the engine. I assumed there is an aux fuel pump near the fuel tank (300 gal) but I cannot find it from below. The fuel ine goes from the filter directly into the rt side frame rail and disappears. Any help would be appreciated.

Harold
Old 04-08-2010
95 WB 42

Harold
On my 6V92's fuel comes from Racor filter to fuel pump on motor.
Then it goes to primary fuel filter at which time it splits 1 to left bank 1 to right bank. If you are not getting fuel to either side I would think you have a problem with the filter output lines to the banks. Do you have a pressure gauge on filter?

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 04-08-2010
HLT Systems

Ed, thanks for the reply. No fuel pressure guage, other than that, it is setup as you describe. Is there an electric fuel pump located near the fuel tank? I noted posts conerning the FC series that describe a "Fasco" pump located by the tank (in the FC the tank would be in the rear instead of the middle of the coach). I cannot see the engine pump drawing the fuel all way from the tank located 25' away and then recirculating it through the injector system and eventually returning some back to the tank...but I do not have any documentation except the BB book and it does not cover this problem.
Old 04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hltsystems View Post
I am not getting any fuel from the tank to the Detroit fuel filter system on the Rt side of the engine. I assumed there is an aux fuel pump near the fuel tank (300 gal) but I cannot find it from below. The fuel ine goes from the filter directly into the rt side frame rail and disappears. Any help would be appreciated.

Harold
Harold...read the site rules and set up you signature before the forum moderators remind you.

No electric fuel pump between the tank and the Racor filter unless one was added. Were you servicing the Racor filter just before the no fuel issue?

Search this site for "8V92 prime" you'll find information there.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > Detroit Diesel Tips and Modifications >

DETROIT DIESEL CHECKING FUEL PRESSURE.pdf
How to check the fuel pressure on a Detroit Diesel by Curt Springer. This could be adapted to almost any Diesel engine equipped with a fuel filter, with some modifications.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2010
95 WB 42

Harold
Just as Curt says will not be another fuel pump unless added by someone.
6&8V's don't really need one.I think another pump is added to reprime fuel lines when filters are changed, may make it cleaner.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 04-08-2010

Default Fuel pump

My 6V has a mechanical pump that is very visible on the back of the motor. Fuel is sucked from the tank through a Raycor filter and then a 30 micron spin on filter. Then it goes to the pump. Once it is there it goes through a 5 micron spin on filter and tee's to either head on the engine. I changed my pump when we put new heads on it. They are a very high flow low pressure pump; there is no need for an additional pump. I don't remember the spec as to how many gallons they pump per hour but it is crazy compared to traditional 4-stroke engines. That is why condensation can be a problem due to fuel heating.

So you are only getting fuel to one head or no fuel at either one?

Member of the 2-bird Club
93 WB-40
83 PT-40

2007 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Old 04-09-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hltsystems View Post
Ed, thanks for the reply. No fuel pressure guage, other than that, it is setup as you describe. Is there an electric fuel pump located near the fuel tank? I noted posts conerning the FC series that describe a "Fasco" pump located by the tank (in the FC the tank would be in the rear instead of the middle of the coach). I cannot see the engine pump drawing the fuel all way from the tank located 25' away and then recirculating it through the injector system and eventually returning some back to the tank...but I do not have any documentation except the BB book and it does not cover this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Harold...read the site rules and set up you signature before the forum moderators remind you.

Good Morning Harold,

Here is what Curt is reffering to;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Please add your permanent signature.

You need to add a permanent signature to your user profile, so that it will automatically be added at the end of all of your posts, this way we will know who we are replying to and what year and model of 'Bird or RV that you own, or if you are a Wannabe 'Bird owner, that way you help us, so that we can better help you.

This was one of the things that you were asked to do in the Wanderlodge Owners Group Rules and that you agreed to, when you became a member of this forum;

To find out how to add a permanent signature to your profile please read;

How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Why do we want you to have a signature; Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > User Related Issues What is the signature for?

So we are asking you again to please just add a signature in your profile with the requested information;

Your Name

Year & Model of 'Bird or WANNABE

Your Location

You can set your signature by choosing User CP at the upper left side of the forums page and then choose Edits Signature from the Settings & Options, then create your signature and if you want to you can add a signature photo, then scroll to the bottom and click on Preview Signature and if you are satisfied with the results, then scroll back down to the bottom and click on Save Signature.

Another reason to add your location to the signature is that way if you are in need of any help, we can try to direct you to another member close by.

Once you get your signature set up, it will be automatically added to each of your posted messages so that you won't have to remember to do it ever again. You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the "Show Signature" option.

Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-09-2010

Default 6V fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERLEY View Post
My 6V has a mechanical pump that is very visible on the back of the motor. Fuel is sucked from the tank through a Raycor filter and then a 30 micron spin on filter. Then it goes to the pump. Once it is there it goes through a 5 micron spin on filter and tee's to either head on the engine. I changed my pump when we put new heads on it. They are a very high flow low pressure pump; there is no need for an additional pump. I don't remember the spec as to how many gallons they pump per hour but it is crazy compared to traditional 4-stroke engines. That is why condensation can be a problem due to fuel heating.

So you are only getting fuel to one head or no fuel at either one?
Here is a picture of the little pump; sorry its a little dark. The copper line is the suction. Have you checked your Raycor filter? Any little air leak will not let it prime and pull fuel. There also can be a check valve in the system to help hold the fuel in place. I had a ton of fuel problems with my bus when I bought it; so I had to learn all about it the hard way.

I have the service manual on cd for the 92 series engines. The fuel section is 158 MB and is a .pdf format. It shows diagrams, exploded views, pump service instructions, etc; I can try to send it to you somehow; little big for email; if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00081-20100409-0816.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	4636  

93 WB-40
83 PT-40

Old 04-10-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERLEY View Post
I have the service manual on cd for the 92 series engines. The fuel section is 158 MB and is a .pdf format. It shows diagrams, exploded views, pump service instructions, etc; I can try to send it to you somehow; little big for email; if you wish.
Marc,

If you could burn me a new disc copy and then send it to me by snail mail, I will enter that information into the forum Database, then it can be directly accessed from there, by the membership.

Send it to;

John Finn
PO Box 161
Hopkins, SC

Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-11-2010

Default 92 Series Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Marc,

If you could burn me a new disc copy and then send it to me by snail mail, I will enter that information into the forum Database, then it can be directly accessed from there, by the membership.

Send it to;

John Finn
PO Box 161
Hopkins, SC

Thanks,

I will send it out tomorrow.

Marc

93 WB-40
83 PT-40