Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 06-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
put a perkins in it then you can cal it a massey ferguson with a roof and side by side seating
and you can use it for oiling dirt roads in the summer to keep the dust down

Email stephenbirtles@hotmail.com
Telephone 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-28-2011

OK Guys,
This may be proper or not,My 05 Jeep Liberty Diesel is still available if Randy or anyone else wants one of the best tow vehicles out there.

fhulse@wildblue.net
Old 06-29-2011
cmillsap

Randy

Very few (if any) are ever dissatisfied using a Jeep as a toad. I have towed a Jeep Cherokee 4/4 for 15 years. I now tow a 2000 model with 75M miles on the odometer. They just cannot be beat as a versatile and reliable toad. I see many Jeeps still running strong with well over 200M miles on them.

You asked for opinions on what makes a great toad; so, IMHO, a good used low mileage Grand Cherokee 4/4 would make a great toad for you. The earlier models have more rear seat legroom than the new 2011 model. Four persons can ride comfortably in a Grand Cherokee. Although they certainly don’t have the cargo space you’re used to in the van, they are large enough to provide better than average space. They’re easy to hook up and tow, get decent mileage and they make a great second car for everyday use.

….and btw, you can tour the back roads of Moab with a Grand Cherokee 4/4
Old 06-29-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
Randy

Very few (if any) are ever dissatisfied using a Jeep as a toad. I have towed a Jeep Cherokee 4/4 for 15 years. I now tow a 2000 model with 75M miles on the odometer. They just cannot be beat as a versatile and reliable toad. I see many Jeeps still running strong with well over 200M miles on them.

You asked for opinions on what makes a great toad; so, IMHO, a good used low mileage Grand Cherokee 4/4 would make a great toad for you. The earlier models have more rear seat legroom than the new 2011 model. Four persons can ride comfortably in a Grand Cherokee. Although they certainly don’t have the cargo space you’re used to in the van, they are large enough to provide better than average space. They’re easy to hook up and tow, get decent mileage and they make a great second car for everyday use.

….and btw, you can tour the back roads of Moab with a Grand Cherokee 4/4

I agree. Any Jeep 4X4 is super easy to tow. We (as you know) tow a 2001 Jeep Wrangler but if I had the HP for the extra weight I would be pulling a Grand Cherokee. The extra passenger roominess is nice as well as cargo space in the back. On occasion we pull my parents '91 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 which is a great toad also....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 06-29-2011

Not to keep beating the Jeep horse...but one additonal factor to consider is that around '09 Jeep for Wrangler and I think Compass models stopped having a lockable steering wheel...just has a smart key. This was phased in and most dealers/owners manuals are not accurate on this aspect...as it was not a clear model year timed event.

We tow with no key in ignition. No worries about battery drain, steering wheel being locked, someone getting a key...any of that. We hook up the tow bar rig, transfer case to netural, set the Brake Buddy and were off.

The 4 door Wrangler is a neat fun vehicle. Top on/off, doors on/off and capable on highway or off road. IMO: Fair gas mileage, fair ride, good interior comfort...and you need to add a security shelf or box to store items under lock if you have a cloth top. No mechanical issues in nearly 3 years.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 06-29-2011

I love my Honda Fit, Cheap car to buy, run tows fine. It is a rather small car however. If it's not too small I'd go drive one. I don't buy used cars anymore. If you buy a used car for 50% of new you get exactly that 50%. I'd rather buy a less expensive new car then to buy a used one and start putting money in repairs almost right away. Maybe my luck with used is not typical.

Nothing wrong with all the others that have been mentioned.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-29-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I love my Honda Fit, Cheap car to buy, run tows fine. It is a rather small car however. If it's not too small I'd go drive one. I don't buy used cars anymore. If you buy a used car for 50% of new you get exactly that 50%. I'd rather buy a less expensive new car then to buy a used one and start putting money in repairs almost right away. Maybe my luck with used is not typical.

Nothing wrong with all the others that have been mentioned.

I don't know John, Randy in a Honda? You might have to install a metal peel tab like on sardine cans to get him out....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 06-29-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Not to keep beating the Jeep horse...but one additonal factor to consider is that around '09 Jeep for Wrangler and I think Compass models stopped having a lockable steering wheel...just has a smart key. This was phased in and most dealers/owners manuals are not accurate on this aspect...as it was not a clear model year timed event.

We tow with no key in ignition. No worries about battery drain, steering wheel being locked, someone getting a key...any of that. We hook up the tow bar rig, transfer case to netural, set the Brake Buddy and were off.

The 4 door Wrangler is a neat fun vehicle. Top on/off, doors on/off and capable on highway or off road. IMO: Fair gas mileage, fair ride, good interior comfort...and you need to add a security shelf or box to store items under lock if you have a cloth top. No mechanical issues in nearly 3 years.
My 2001 Jeep Wrangler does not have a locking steering wheel either

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 06-29-2011

I have a question about the bird towing. I have never towed a vehicle behind the bus yet but after the last trip it was apparent that having a vehicle would have been nice. Until now if we were going anywhere for an extended time we rented a car. My concern is that with out 81 with the 3208 NA we are severly underpowered as it is, how will this effect the bus on step grades, as it is we at times end up going 10 miles an hour. How much will this effect the speed power etc. We have an older wrangler that I could tow it's not to heavy
Old 06-29-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
I have a question about the bird towing. I have never towed a vehicle behind the bus yet but after the last trip it was apparent that having a vehicle would have been nice. Until now if we were going anywhere for an extended time we rented a car. My concern is that with out 81 with the 3208 NA we are severly underpowered as it is, how will this effect the bus on step grades, as it is we at times end up going 10 miles an hour. How much will this effect the speed power etc. We have an older wrangler that I could tow it's not to heavy

We tow a 2001 Wrangler everywhere we go. As previously mentioned, sometimes a '91 Cherokee. No slower than usual, I just enjoy the scenery....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA