Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2015

Default Gotta Getta Toada

We're close to to a wrap on a new to us Bird so now we need simple transportation. The only real must have is an automatic transmission. I know tha takes a lot of options off the table but... I'm thinking a jeep so we can do some trails when we head West. Well I mean when we head way west, everything's west for us. I thought about a Mini Cooper but without a manual transmission it gets complicated.
I've had a german car of one kind or another since mid 70's so it's hard to accept some otherwise good soloutions. I just took a deposit on my turbo and I'll really miss that kind of driving. That sorta explains the Mini thing. I don't really want to use a dolly or a trailer so in my mind that gets me back to a jeep kind of thing but it's gotta be a modest (cheap) price. Whatever we get will only be used as a toat, not a daily driver.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 01-29-2015

I have a 2009 CRV, not powerful, loaded, good mileage, tow plate was easy to install as the entire front clip comes off the car easy.
Bought a light kit for it and installed it in Walmart parking lot in 20 minutes.
2WD, timing chain, and it now has 106,000 on it.
Light, don't even know it is behind me.
FMCA 387867
Old 01-29-2015

Look at salvage sales. Some vehicles are totaled only because of mileage. Mine was hit in the right rear corner( 96 S-10), had over 100k, but ran good and the air blew cold. Put a tail gate, and back window in it, and am still dragging it behind the bus. Oh yea, paid less than $2000 for it, in '05.
Old 01-29-2015

Small front wheel drive hatchbacks seem to make great Toads, are inexpensive, and as a bonus make for useful daily drivers. Kia Soul, Nissan Versa or Cube are good examples. Manual transmission versions can be towed wheels down, automatics require a tow dolly.

1987 PT38 8V92 (SOLD)
Old 01-29-2015

He did say it must be an automatic transmission. I towed a Honda Fit which I liked a lot. Jeeps are great as well. I'd would decide what you need to do with the car and make that decision first. Used Jeeps to me seem to be expensive relatively speaking but if you want a Jeep to do off road stuff that's the way to go. My buddy tows a Chevy Colorado pick up with four wheel drive and auto trans. That's a nice toad and so is the CRV. Jeep, CRV. or a Chevy truck would be on my short list. Love my Spark but it is not flat towable unless you opt for the manual which I did.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-29-2015

John, how do you tow the chevy truck with auto. Does it require the trans. pump or just put it in neutral and go.
Tom, I left most of my left leg in Superglide in 74. I can handle a clutch just fine but the DA folks that give us our drivers license seem to think I should be restricted to automatics. I've never pressed the issue. In stop and go traffic, the manual is a little more uncomfortable for me than for others.
Having driven performance vehicles all my life and being a lifelong racer it's really hard to stray too far into the dark side and get rice burner/grocery getter. That's why the Mini seemed like a reasonable compromise. Have you ever seen one in an autocross? Wow!
Thanks guys.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 01-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
John, how do you tow the chevy truck with auto. Does it require the trans. pump or just put it in neutral and go.
Tom, I left most of my left leg in Superglide in 74. I can handle a clutch just fine but the DA folks that give us our drivers license seem to think I should be restricted to automatics. I've never pressed the issue. In stop and go traffic, the manual is a little more uncomfortable for me than for others.
Having driven performance vehicles all my life and being a lifelong racer it's really hard to stray too far into the dark side and get rice burner/grocery getter. That's why the Mini seemed like a reasonable compromise. Have you ever seen one in an autocross? Wow!
Thanks guys.
The Chevy four wheel drives are flat towable without modification. Don't know how far back that goes but the Tahoe, Silverado and Colorado of recent years are towable by putting the four wheel drive transfer into neutral. No other mods needed.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-29-2015

Yup, what John said....push some dash buttons to put the transfer case in neutral, hook it up and go. Easy, we don't go anywhere without the 4wd Suburban anymore, and it doubles as a trailer.

Mike Evans
Richland, MI
1985 PT36 formerly known as "The Pine Mountain Express"
2005 Chevrolet Suburban SuperToad with Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX towbar, Brake Buddy
Old 01-29-2015

I love my Lincoln MKX. A real nice ride.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2015
Sen├Ár Miembro

I dunno know, I bought a used diesel Jeep 05 Liberty. I swear the Jeep community can be like WOG. I was recently able to fix a ignition problem through a google search while waiting for the tow truck when out-of-town. They had the jumpers to fuse to get it started and link to videos for the fix. Probably saved $$$ off what the tow and most likely dealer service were going to cost me.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog
Closed Thread