Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 04-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Shane, thank you for posting #18. Have you noticed your transmission temperature running hotter than normal?
No, I didn't notice temps being overly high, BUT... (BIG BUT HERE)... I just had to have the tranny rebuilt! Maybe there was a correlation, who knows!

The filter element was a Wix 24070. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=15637

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
No, I didn't notice temps being overly high, BUT... (BIG BUT HERE)... I just had to have the tranny rebuilt! Maybe there was a correlation, who knows!

The filter element was a Wix 24070. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=15637
I use the same filter from NAPA. Soon I'll drain the coolant and check the trans. cooler for blockage.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 04-10-2016

Did you contact WIX and ask them if their filters could be the problem?

Maybe send a sample of the residue to them or have it tested elsewhere to see if its really from the filter or something else?

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 04-10-2016

At this point, anyone who has made the change should probably just check their cooler when they have another occasion to drain the system. I think I'm going to switch to a synthetic media filter and get away from the cellulose paper.

http://penray.com/products/nf2999sm-...oolant-filter/

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-10-2016

A quote from WOG member Gary Squires:

"Standard blank paper medium filters get thoroughly soaked after a year or 50,000 miles of running. I would not run any cellulose (paper) media longer than 6 months."

Quote:

SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 11-11-2017

Default Coolant filter

Having read all of this thread before installing my filter, I still have an unresolved question.
Shane found a residue in his trans cooler.
Was a source of this material ever found?
I have admired the design of this self purging cooling system on several vehicles. A couple have had clear plastic surge tanks so that you could see them working. The small tubes entering the tanks convey coolant sucked into the tank by the large hose at the bottom connected to the water pump. On the vehicles with clear tanks I've seen, this coolant enters the tank with considerable force.
Which begs the question, if the filters are being damaged by the flow, then should we consider a by-pass to reduce the pressure and flow?
On my old IH DT 466 the coolant filer had a 1/4 line in an area with considerably less flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5bd.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	52285  
Old 11-11-2017

My filter is located in the bypass line to the heat exchanger in the domestic water heater, it is not what I would call a "high flow" area. FWIW, the domestic heating loop is not doing it's job all that well (compared to before). My conclusion is to remove the &^*% filter altogether and just flush the system every 3 or 4 years.

The debris in the trans filter appeared to be a clay-like paste (most like cellulose gum) and was not coarse-grained like silica. I plan to flush the system again in April when I get the coach out of storage and we'll see what comes out.

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-11-2017
Forum owner

Way back when John Finns coolant system was in such bad shape we did a lot of research on coolant filters.
It seems like they bypass all but maybe 15% of the coolant,i assume this is to prevent the filter from getting plugged and maybe overheating your engine,then if you mount the filter in a heater hose or a bypass hose like Shanes is,you filter even less coolant.
Remember,this is a filter,it will not prevent stalactites from growing in your rad or coolers.

Almost every rad i have had apart and almost every tranny cooler i have had apart had some growth in it.
Where does it come from? Hard water?
Chemical reaction?
We all want to know!

Also,don't forget Shanes tranny cooler was 20 years old when he found it plugged.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Also,don't forget Shanes tranny cooler was 20 years old when he found it plugged.
Actually, this was the new cooler that I installed in 2008. The old one that was removed did not have too much other than a few flakes of corrosion, rust, etc.. blocking the tubes. First photo below if of the original cooler 8 years ago when it was removed. Second photo shows blockages in the new cooler- after 7 yrs of use with a coolant filter that was changed annually.

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912

Last edited by sfedeli; 11-12-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Actually, this was the new cooler that I installed in 2008. The old one that was removed did not have too much other than a few flakes of corrosion, rust, etc.. blocking the tubes. First photo below if of the original cooler 8 years ago when it was removed. Second photo shows blockages in the new cooler- after 7 yrs of use with a coolant filter that was changed annually.

Ahhh.i remember your post and assumed (bad word) it was original when it was plugged.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com