Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-26-2008
Early Member

Default found used lift on craigslist

I looked at all the lifts and found them all amazingly high priced. All were 5 grand or more after shipping and install. I was ready to not do it (even though I already had the bike and coach and plan to "toad" this way), until, after a lot of searching, I found a used lift on craigslist for $1100. It was in Denver and I am in Phx, so it would've been a few more hundred for shipping, but I lucked out and the guy was going to Tucson to visit his son, and offered to hand deliver it for $100! Then the install would've been ~$1000, but I did it myself. I also modified it quite a bit, since it (all of them) just comes with one channel for the bike, and my bike has 2 front wheels (vespa mp3), so I welded a frame of 2" tubing and put expanded metal on it. This way, I could also haul other stuff sometimes too. I also made a rack for two bicycles in the space between the bike and the coach. 'Am just about to try it all out for the first time next week, when we head to northern Cal on or maiden voyage since we got the coach (except for a mad-dash home from Florida, after buying it from Randy). I can't see how to put a photo on here, but I have some if anyone's interested.

Fred
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 06-26-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'just wanderin? View Post
I looked at all the lifts and found them all amazingly high priced. All were 5 grand or more after shipping and install. I was ready to not do it (even though I already had the bike and coach and plan to "toad" this way), until, after a lot of searching, I found a used lift on craigslist for $1100. It was in Denver and I am in Phx, so it would've been a few more hundred for shipping, but I lucked out and the guy was going to Tucson to visit his son, and offered to hand deliver it for $100! Then the install would've been ~$1000, but I did it myself. I also modified it quite a bit, since it (all of them) just comes with one channel for the bike, and my bike has 2 front wheels (vespa mp3), so I welded a frame of 2" tubing and put expanded metal on it. This way, I could also haul other stuff sometimes too. I also made a rack for two bicycles in the space between the bike and the coach. 'Am just about to try it all out for the first time next week, when we head to northern Cal on or maiden voyage since we got the coach (except for a mad-dash home from Florida, after buying it from Randy). I can't see how to put a photo on here, but I have some if anyone's interested.

Fred
Hi Fred,

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTUES, post some pictures of your installation, so everybody can see what you did. If you don't know how to post them just email them to me at iamflagman@aol.com and I'll post them for you, but here is where to find instructions about posting pictures yourself, it isn't that hard to do;

How can I add a photo to the body of my message?

I'm out of here and heading to the race track at Maxton, I won't be back on the forum until after 9pm tonight when I can use the free minutes on my cellular phpne to access the Internet.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-26-2008
Forum owner

hey Fred!
have a great trip!
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-26-2008

My buddy made me one out of a wheel chair lift, he cut off the chair part and added a piece of 6" channel to put the bike on, works great.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-27-2008
Mike and Tracy

Wink Wiley Sense of Humour!

John, I always love your posts. I am thinking the trailer is a nice all around option, but I can't figure out how to get out of the car once I drive it in!

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $65k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or 2013 Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toads; Sold Jetta, but it was an awesome toad.
Old 06-27-2008

Mike,

You have an excellent point there, when I'm using the Rabbit Cabriolet (Convertible) it is just a matter of opening the door only the few inches that I can and with the top down, basically stepping up and out of the car, but when I'm loading and unloading the race car a Rabbit GTI 2 door sedan, I have to crawl in and out of the window, which was a real motivator when the decision came to loose some weight

Here is an early photo of the Cabriolet in the trailer with the top down, it has gotten a little more crowded in there since then, with more things hanging on the walls, including four spare tires, so there is much room to get around the car, but I manage. I'm loading this photo using my cellular phone, so I hope that it comes out OK.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/49021495

If both cars were not lowered like they are, the Cabriolet is lowered 1 1/2 inches and the race car 3 inches, it would be easier, or if it was a Jeep or a Land Rover or something that set up higher, that would allow the doors to open up above the trailers inner wheel well covers, thus giving more access room. You can also have the optional side door built into the sidewall of the trailer itself, that gives even more room to open a vehicle door into, but I knew that my cars were so low already that the doors were going to come in contact with the inner fender wells, so adding the expense of another side door didn't make any sense to me. My trailer is 8' wide inside and 8' 6" on the outside and is considered an AUTOCARRIER trailer.

The trailer has a Dovetail rear floor and a 4000# capacity door, but when loading and unloading only the race car being that it is so low, I have to drop the suspension on the 'Bird, chock the front wheels and then raise the rear levelers so that in effect, that raises the front of the trailer, giving me even more of an angle to move the car in and out, without some of the bottom of the race cars parts scrapping the entryway of the trailer floor and even doing that the front spoiler on the race car still scrapes the transition point with the pavement just a little bit, but since it is a plastic material, it flexes enough to not do more than add small scratches to it.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-27-2008

On my open trailer I can just open the door of the Land Rover and stand on the fender. The fender on that thing is pretty sturdy as well as being designed to be detachable so that you can remove it if you have car door clearance issues.

With John Finn's enclosed trailer I'm impressed that he has as much space as he does for a VW Golf. Excellent! I thought that you were hauling something like a Formula Vee around.

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 06-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
On my open trailer I can just open the door of the Land Rover and stand on the fender. The fender on that thing is pretty sturdy as well as being designed to be detachable so that you can remove it if you have car door clearance issues.

With John Finn's enclosed trailer I'm impressed that he has as much space as he does for a VW Golf. Excellent! I thought that you were hauling something like a Formula Vee around.
If I don't load the motorcycle and remove the 2000 watt generator, which is designed to be easily removed if need be, I can actually load my 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD sedan inside, i had it built to carry any of my cars.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-29-2008
Mike and Tracy

Is that Gauge 1 Railway Track I spy on the floor under the cabriolet? I have a bit of a live steam habit, so good to see people are taking trains on the raod with their Birds! We should plan a Bird Bash at Train Mountain in Oregon!

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $65k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or 2013 Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toads; Sold Jetta, but it was an awesome toad.
Old 06-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughes01 View Post
Is that Gauge 1 Railway Track I spy on the floor under the cabriolet? I have a bit of a live steam habit, so good to see people are taking trains on the raod with their Birds! We should plan a Bird Bash at Train Mountain in Oregon!
Mike,

No that is what is called E Track and it is used to secure tiedown loops and straps, it offers more of a variety of positions to choose from. I have it installed at each side and in the middle of the entire length of the trailer floor, as well as along each side of the interior walls too.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../450786_lg.gif

It can be purchased at Northern Tools and other places, it takes the E Track connectors to attach the tiedown straps to.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._153963_153963

While it isn't anything that can be used for a railroad track, I'm still somewhat of a fan of the BIG ONES, as I grew up in Rock Island, Ill. and even if it no longer exists, we all know that no matter what you call it, the ROCK or the C.R.I.P. or even if you just call it the Rock Island Lines.............SHE'S A MIGHTY FINE ROAD

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11